What color shoes

RTR 21-0

I’ve seen a few posts on shoes to wear on a med cruise.  I have  Morton’s neuroma mostly manageable with injections but am looking for a comfortable pair of walking shoes (probably sneakers) with a wideish toe box and cute.  Any suggestions?  I’m also wondering what color I should get.  Not crazy about the way an all white shoe looks on me and want something that would look cute with most all colors and pair well with capris, sundresses and pants.  I’m not asking for a lot, right 😅

I've dealt with Morton's for 30 years.  After 3 or 400 pairs of shoes purchased and tried, I've come to a couple of conclusions that work for me.  Rule #1 is that 'cute' is my last concern, unfortunately.  There are very few 'closed shoes' that I can wear.  Mostly buy 'slides or mules'; I look for ones that offer 'support', not bits of leather across my toes, but a configuration that cradles the foot as much as possible given the style of shoe.  I find Clark's makes comfortable ones that I can walk in for fairly long periods.  The sad thing, as you probably know, is that a shoe that was very comfortable last week can make my feet unhappy today. 

When it comes to trainers, Easy Spirit works for me.  I buy a size larger, tear out the insole and wear them with thick socks.  I use 3/4 inserts (like Dr Scholl's from CVS or Walgreen's).   This gives my toes more room to wiggle. Besides the travel, I work horse shows and am in a warmup arena for ten hours a day, and these shoes are pretty comfortable.

Way back when I had a hip replaced, I visited a specialty shoe shop and ordered German shoes with customized inserts.  The whole shebang cost $600 and I walked out of there wondering if I had lost my mind.  They arrived a few weeks later ... the store people knew how to fit them perfectly with little adjustments here and there.  I wore them in blissful comfort for more than ten years, then bought another pair.  They are seriously ugly 'clod-hoppers' as my Grandpa would say.  But I can walk forever in them.  

As for color, I decided long ago that I'd travel in black pants and shoes ... I can't be packing 5 pairs of shoes for a river cruise!   For warm weather, I do bring a pair of trainers the same color as my capris.  While boring, this makes packing much easier.  Clark's makes a sandal with wide adjustable straps which are the least ugly I can find.  They're supportive and come in a kind of bronzy color that is suitable for almost any outfit.  You can get through life with Morton's, it just takes a lot of research/trying time and a great deal of money.  Goodwill loves me.

• Thanks 1

Jsn55, same here.  I’ve tried on shoes that felt amazing and after a few hours wearing around the house I’m thinking nope, re-boxing and returning.  Letting go of all those cute summer sandals was soul crushing lol.  Usually I can wear Skechers slip ons with most anything for a couple of hours but I’m not foolish to think they’ll work while pounding the cobble stone pavements in Europe.   Do you know the name of the Clark sandal you have?  May would work for some of the less intensive wandering around we’ll do.  

1 minute ago, bluetardis said:

@awhfythose are adorable shoes

I also have them in a black brown cheetah pattern. They weigh 4.5 oz too!  & are machine washable. Perfect travel shoes (I’ve had 19 different foot surgeries & these are so comfortable for long periods)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluetardis said:

@awhfyI am also a foot surgery person and know all too well the perils that come with the post foot surgeries. I feel lucky to have two feet that still work, most days…lol

I’m 14 days postop right now, I’ll find out if the surgery has worked when I go in tomorrow 

‘’give OOFOS a chance. OOFOS.com. I wear a 7-1/2 & buy an 8

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bluetardis said:

@awhfy I wish you the best of luck with that. You need to do some cruising 😀

Had a lovely cruise in December, not booking for awhile as I’m non-weight bearing for another 8 weeks minimum. Thanks

Awhfy, those are so cute!! Will definitely be looking up that brand.  I love the fact they weigh next to nothing! Means I can fill the suitcase up more 😂. Thanks for the suggestion and wishing you a successful recovery. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:12 PM, simplelife said:

I like a light gray or silver as an alternative to white.

I have SAS "Tour" sneaker-look walking shoes in Dust. I took them for off-the-ship excursions on recent B2B alternating with negative-heel clogs and flip-flops on the ship.

dust.jpg

• Like 2

There are some European shoe manufacturers that produce nice looking shoes that are comfortable. The shoes are more expensive, but I have issues with sizing (ridiculously narrow heel, broad forefoot, high instep) so will pay more for one pair of shoes that fit well and then not buy anything else for a year or two.

My favourite colours for casual shoes are gold, silver, and red. I wear a lot of red and it's a nice pop of colour. Never white. Look too much like trainers. 

I have a pair of leather Pikilinos oxford style shoes in gold that were perfectly comfortable from the first day that I wore them. 

And a pair of Paul Green gold (again) suede trainer style shoes with a higher sole and lace up side zip combo. Again, so comfortable from moment one.

My red shoes are Merrells.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

I keep hearing a lot of good things about European made shoes.  The cost really cuts into a budget but they may warrant taking a closer look, especially if I could get a year or two out of them.  

Want to share a handy trick for 'testing' new shoes.  Put a shower cap over them and wear them in the house for a few hours.  This has greatly cut down on my trove of expensive shoes that I can't wear.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 10:36 PM, RTR 21-0 said:

I’ve seen a few posts on shoes to wear on a med cruise.  I have  Morton’s neuroma mostly manageable with injections but am looking for a comfortable pair of walking shoes (probably sneakers) with a wideish toe box and cute.  Any suggestions?  I’m also wondering what color I should get.  Not crazy about the way an all white shoe looks on me and want something that would look cute with most all colors and pair well with capris, sundresses and pants.  I’m not asking for a lot, right 😅

I don't know Morton's, but I struggle with Plantar Fasciitis and understand the importance of the right shoes.  

I'd say lay out the clothes you're planning to take.  Bring out shoes in the colors you're considering, and ask yourself, "Which pair fits most everything I want to bring?"  You might discard a favorite outfit /bring a different outfit that fits the shoes ... that's just practical.  I tend to bring two pair of "day shoes" ... a pair of comfortable brown sandals and a pair of white slip-on sneakers.  I know you said you don't want white, but I'm telling you that these two shoes work great for me for vacation ... you can certainly alter the colors.

In addition to my day shoes, I usually bring a pair of brown wedge-sandals with brown and bronze straps.  These tend to match everything I bring for dinner, and the wedge is more comfortable than a heel.

Have you ever tried Vans tennis shoes?  I love them, and they come in so many colors and prints.  I wear them with shorts, jeans or school dresses/cardigans.  

What about Chaco walking sandals?  Soooo comfortable and plenty of support.  I like Sketchers too, and they are more affordable than Chacos.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:28 PM, jsn55 said:

... Rule #1 is that 'cute' is my last concern, unfortunately ...

I refuse to give up cute! 

I have few shoes -- like maybe 20 pairs total ... but they ALL work with my specific foot problems, and they're ALL both functional and cute.  I will not buy a pair of shoes unless they are PERFECT.  Not all were expensive ... my favorite hiking boots cost $2 (yes, really!).

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Want to share a handy trick for 'testing' new shoes.  Put a shower cap over them and wear them in the house for a few hours.  This has greatly cut down on my trove of expensive shoes that I can't wear.

I think I love this idea!

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't know Morton's, but I struggle with Plantar Fasciitis and understand the importance of the right shoes.  

I'd say lay out the clothes you're planning to take.  Bring out shoes in the colors you're considering, and ask yourself, "Which pair fits most everything I want to bring?"  You might discard a favorite outfit /bring a different outfit that fits the shoes ... that's just practical.  I tend to bring two pair of "day shoes" ... a pair of comfortable brown sandals and a pair of white slip-on sneakers.  I know you said you don't want white, but I'm telling you that these two shoes work great for me for vacation ... you can certainly alter the colors.

In addition to my day shoes, I usually bring a pair of brown wedge-sandals with brown and bronze straps.  These tend to match everything I bring for dinner, and the wedge is more comfortable than a heel.

Have you ever tried Vans tennis shoes?  I love them, and they come in so many colors and prints.  I wear them with shorts, jeans or school dresses/cardigans.  

What about Chaco walking sandals?  Soooo comfortable and plenty of support.  I like Sketchers too, and they are more affordable than Chacos.

I refuse to give up cute! 

I have few shoes -- like maybe 20 pairs total ... but they ALL work with my specific foot problems, and they're ALL both functional and cute.  I will not buy a pair of shoes unless they are PERFECT.  Not all were expensive ... my favorite hiking boots cost $2 (yes, really!).

I think I love this idea!

I feel for you.  I suffered with plantar fasciitis in both heels at the same time for two years.  More painful than giving birth.  12 weeks wearing walking boots, multiple injections and finally quitting the job that required hours of standing  and they are healed!  Morton’s developed after breaking two toes. But I still have feet and can put one foot in front of the other albeit painfully at times so life is good 😊 

Thanks for those pointers.  I am a notorious over packer with shoes but all of our cruises have been Caribbean and those sandals take up very little space.  At least that’s the story I tell myself haha.  But for this trip I’m determined to go with wedges for evenings and two pair walking shoes for tours/sightseeing.  Haven’t looked at Vans in forever but will check them out.  I have a list going.  

Jsn55 that is a fabulous idea!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RTR 21-0 said:

I feel for you.  I suffered with plantar fasciitis in both heels at the same time for two years.  More painful than giving birth.  12 weeks wearing walking boots, multiple injections and finally quitting the job that required hours of standing  and they are healed!  Morton’s developed after breaking two toes. But I still have feet and can put one foot in front of the other albeit painfully at times so life is good 😊 

Thanks for those pointers.  I am a notorious over packer with shoes but all of our cruises have been Caribbean and those sandals take up very little space.  At least that’s the story I tell myself haha.  But for this trip I’m determined to go with wedges for evenings and two pair walking shoes for tours/sightseeing.  Haven’t looked at Vans in forever but will check them out.  I have a list going.  

Jsn55 that is a fabulous idea!  

I feel for you too!  I have the impression your PF is worse than mine.  I've had the walking boot and the injection.  I too had a job that required standing all day on hard tile (teaching); I really think that more than anything else hurt my feet and CAUSED my PF -- except for a 26 minute lunch, I literally stood for the whole 7 1/2 hours that students were with me, and I did that job for 30 years.  When I was still learning how to manage my condition, I noted that my feet were "better" in the summer weeks when I wasn't teaching.  

Through trial and error I have developed a set of "rules" for footwear, and I refuse to buy any shoe (no matter how cute, no matter how cheap) that doesn't meet 100% of my requirements -- experience tells me such shoes will just end up going to GoodWill sooner rather than later.  Honestly, it's been YEARS since I had a flare-up, and it's because I obey my self-imposed rules religiously.  

For a cruise, I pack 3-4 pairs of shoes, and I feel it's "just enough".  I always wear the tennis shoes to board (best for walking), so I have 2-3 pair in my suitcase:  

- For daytime wear, white tennis shoes

- For daytime wear, basic brown walking sandals -- okay, technically I could do with just one pair of daytime shoes, but switching them up is good for my feet, and I really want both pairs. 

- One pair of dinner shoes -- usually the aforementioned wedges 

- If our island stops or shore excursions demand it, water shoes.  Mine don't have good arch support, so I tend to wear the tennis shoes TO the beach (or other venue), then change into the water shoes.  Okay, I'm realizing I've lied:  my water shoes do not meet ALL my rules, but they are something I wear only occasionally and for a very specific purpose /short period of time.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

I also have Morton's.  I generally buy Vionic sandals. These work best for me. I also buy LLBean Boothbay slide sandals. For me, these sandals have saved me when I have had foot or ankle problems. Around the house, I wear athletic sandals (I don't know the correct name). Men and women wear this style  and men usually wear these with socks. These sandals are so comfortable because of the sole.  I think the key think about buying footwear if you have Morton's is buying a supportive sole. Forget about thin or flimsy footwear.  

As for colors, you can't go wrong with black, nude, white or a metallic.

• Thanks 1

I have foot issues, too.  Some neuroma in both and a big toe on my left foot that has nerve damage from a nasty injury I had years ago (It feels constantly "asleep") so I have to choose wisely.

I bought a pair of OluKai Pehuea Li shoes in, yes, white.  But they have other colors, too.  They are mesh-y so very cool to wear when it was over 100 degrees for a month.  I walked for hours in them everyday.  The cool part of the shoe is that the heel folds down to turn the shoe into a mule style.  I wore those shoes with shorts, pants, skirts, dresses.   To me, the insole was sufficient for my needs, but it is removable if you want to add your own orthotics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don’t have foot issues other than a high arch, but I second trying Olukai.

Very cute and I wore them walking all day long on cobblestones in Europe.

For colors, I would consider nude or black. Maybe even a bronze metallic.

The removable insole is nice and the styles do not look orthopedic.

I have black leather slip ons and a khaki suede slip on and they are my airport shoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2