Summit in Grand Cayman today No Bar

funship freddy

I just communicated on a Summit page over on another social media site and someone onboard now (2/9/2023 @3:05 PM EST) confirmed the Sunset and Pool Bar are both open for NON-Alcoholic drinks.  Can't speak to other bars, but no bar is serving alcohol at this time. 

• Thanks 4

From what I have read is that the ships have to pay/purchase a license from Grand Cayman for every bar that is open.  Good excuse and a way to save money is not get any licenses and close the bars.   

I have 2 cruises booked that stops in GC.  I will survive but will make sure I don’t book anymore with that stop.   It never was a place that we liked and rarely went ashore because of dealing with the tender. 

Hopefully X will eliminate that island and replace it with their own private island.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't recall this being an issue on DCL. We have been to GC twice on DCL. We do go into port, but we probably got drinks to have while getting ready for dinner. However, DCL doesn't have drink packages that apply outside of the dining rooms. If it's a purchased license thing, then it might be worth it for DCL to open the bars with everyone having to pay.

14 hours ago, jwlane said:

In 2023???  That seems to be when this all started.

No. 2022 and before. I didn't read any posts saying the law/licensing was new for 2023. There wouldn't have been very many cruises that have been there on any cruise line this year, just a handful. Since it's still early in 2023. Weird. I will have to see if anyone has seen this on DCL for this year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 12:51 PM, defnjeb said:

I am on the Apex and we are also in port at Grand Cayman. Only the pool bar is open. Thanks to all of the prior cruisecritic reports, we stocked some beer in our fridge for today!😀

We were on Equinox a month ago,  and while in Grand Cayman only the pool bar was open

• Thanks 1