Traveling with Toddlers-Incorrect Gender on Birth Certificate

Samatha0123

Hello, 

First-time cruiser here! I am taking my 2-year-old daughter with me, however, I just looked at her birth certificate and noticed they have her listed as a male under the gender portion. Everything else on the birth certificate is correct, and her father is going with us.  I have sent off the paperwork to get it corrected with the state of Illinois, however, it could take up to 12 weeks to get the request processed. We leave for our cruise in 6 weeks. Is this a deal breaker? Will they let me board and sail with my daughter? I am so lost on what to do. Has anyone been through something similar? I plan on taking her medical records, and other supporting documents that show she is a girl, but I am really thinking I will be out of a cruise.

Not trying to make light of your situation but I would be greatly concerned if Carnival wanted to check to verify a 2 year old sex before letting them on the ship. I think you should be OK but I understand you asking.

• Like 7

Thank you, I was just very concerned that if the information I put into the online check in didn't match the birth certificate gender we wouldn't be able to board. Thank you for making me feel better. I called the carnival line number, but the rep was no help.

I have never heard of this situation before, so I'm sorry that I can be of no real help, but, FWIW, I don't think it will be a problem.  I can't imagine a situation in which anyone - port staff or Carnival staff will be verifying the sex of your child.  I understand your concerns and as a planner and worrier, I would probably be experiencing the same trepidation as you is this situation.  l  just can't imagine, though, that anyone will notice / ask / check on this.  Go with all the documentation you have and enjoy your cruise.🙂

ETA: And welcome to CruiseCritic!🙂

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 1

Thank you ShakyBeef,

My husband has told me over and over again not to worry, especially with the freedom of being whatever gender one wishes to be, but I couldn't find anything on the web relating to my unique situation, so I have been worrying day and night about this. So I figured I would post it, and hopefully gain some type of security. I was like they probably won't even notice, but then again, you just never know either. 

You have helped relieve my stress.

• Like 1

I used to do check-in for Royal and I'll be 100% honest never looked at a gender on a BC. As long as the name matched who was in front of me and in the system, you were good to me. Especially since alot of names are gender neutral and we are taught not to assume. I think you will be fine but if you have proof of the records update you submitted might help if it doesn't arrive in time. 

Edited by starstruck05
  • Like 3

Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  When you booked the cruise you indicated the name, age and gender of your child.  The check-in agent will be looking at your child and seeing that yes, it appears to be a 2 yr old girl traveling with her parents, and I am guessing that the child and at least one parent share the same last name.  And both parents names are listed on your daughter's birth certificate.  Worst case scenario is a supervisor gets called over, and after hearing the explanation, and seeing a little girl standing there with her parents, the supervisor will just tell to check-in agent to embark the child.  I can't imagine anyone escalating this.

Like @starstruck05, I do check-in  for ships in Seattle.  I wouldn't worry

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 2

Think of it this way, if you, as the mother never noticed the error on your child's BC (for 2 years) then the chances of someone that looks at it for less than a minute is not likely to notice (question) either.  I think you are good at this point.  

• Like 1

Please check with someone at Carnival and US Customs. 

I had an odd situation happen returning from a cruise with my 2yo.  Customs reviewed her birth certificate and also attempted to question her asking if we were her parents (she was a super extroverted talker but the way they aggressively questioned her all she would do is hide her head).  I don't want to imagine what could have happened if her stats didn't match the birth certificate.  

• Like 3

I could be reaching here. However, I could absolutely see someone have a concern that you are traveling internationally with a young child with paperwork that does not match. I wouldn't wing it based on a few internet people thinking it's ridiculous that check in agents would care if identification matches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmarquez said:

Please check with someone at Carnival and US Customs. 

I had an odd situation happen returning from a cruise with my 2yo.  Customs reviewed her birth certificate and also attempted to question her asking if we were her parents (she was a super extroverted talker but the way they aggressively questioned her all she would do is hide her head).  I don't want to imagine what could have happened if her stats didn't match the birth certificate.  

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I could be reaching here. However, I could absolutely see someone have a concern that you are traveling internationally with a young child with paperwork that does not match. I wouldn't wing it based on a few internet people thinking it's ridiculous that check in agents would care if identification matches.

This 100%. The fact that you have documentation proving you requested to have her birth certificate corrected, and her medical records listing the correct gender may help, but I wouldn't risk it until I got answers directly from Carnival and/or U.S. Customs. IF something were to happen and you got stranded in port, or had to be medically evacuated back home, or something else, there is a chance that the documents not matching could be an issue, or at least a major headache. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Samatha0123 said:

Hello, 

First-time cruiser here! I am taking my 2-year-old daughter with me, however, I just looked at her birth certificate and noticed they have her listed as a male under the gender portion. Everything else on the birth certificate is correct, and her father is going with us.  I have sent off the paperwork to get it corrected with the state of Illinois, however, it could take up to 12 weeks to get the request processed. We leave for our cruise in 6 weeks. Is this a deal breaker? Will they let me board and sail with my daughter? I am so lost on what to do. Has anyone been through something similar? I plan on taking her medical records, and other supporting documents that show she is a girl, but I am really thinking I will be out of a cruise.

I hope you brought this issue to the attention of the hospital CEO/President.  What else are they screwing up?

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
20 hours ago, Samatha0123 said:

Hello, 

First-time cruiser here! I am taking my 2-year-old daughter with me, however, I just looked at her birth certificate and noticed they have her listed as a male under the gender portion. Everything else on the birth certificate is correct

Was there a reason for that 😮

I very much doubt you will have any problem but you are right to be concerned.

Any problem would not be with Carnival folks. As many have noted if you just don't bring it up they will see parents and a child all with the same last name. But bring all the paperwork about applying for the correction even if it is just copies of what you sent.

If you have a problem it would likely be returning to the U.S. as that is the only time these days you might run into border patrol folks and with the facial ID system you may well not encounter them then either. Even running into them probably won't be a problem if you don't bring up the issue. But what you have to watch for is a child trafficking inquiry. My cousin and her husband, both very white and blond, adopted a child of Spanish heritage. When they went to Canada they spent the best part of a day being investigated. They and their daughter (about 4 years old at the time) were interrogated several times by different people. The Canadian boarder folks were quite nice, but explained that child trafficking was a big problem and with the obvious physical differences between them and the child they were obliged to investigate.

So that is the, I think, very outside chance you have to prepare for. Worrying won't change anything. There is nothing to do and raising the issue with Carnival or the Border Patrol will just cause problems. Let each look and see what they expect to see.

1 hour ago, icft said:

My cousin and her husband, both very white and blond, adopted a child of Spanish heritage. When they went to Canada they spent the best part of a day being investigated. They and their daughter (about 4 years old at the time) were interrogated several times by different people. The Canadian boarder folks were quite nice, but explained that child trafficking was a big problem and with the obvious physical differences between them and the child they were obliged to investigate.

Some of the questions are due to ignorance about genetics.

My husband is blond, I am a dark brunette, my daughter is a red head.  Many think that I can't possibly be her biological mother, including those nice Canadian border folks on at least two occasions.

2 hours ago, icft said:

I very much doubt you will have any problem but you are right to be concerned.

Any problem would not be with Carnival folks. As many have noted if you just don't bring it up they will see parents and a child all with the same last name. But bring all the paperwork about applying for the correction even if it is just copies of what you sent.

If you have a problem it would likely be returning to the U.S. as that is the only time these days you might run into border patrol folks and with the facial ID system you may well not encounter them then either. Even running into them probably won't be a problem if you don't bring up the issue. But what you have to watch for is a child trafficking inquiry. My cousin and her husband, both very white and blond, adopted a child of Spanish heritage. When they went to Canada they spent the best part of a day being investigated. They and their daughter (about 4 years old at the time) were interrogated several times by different people. The Canadian boarder folks were quite nice, but explained that child trafficking was a big problem and with the obvious physical differences between them and the child they were obliged to investigate.

So that is the, I think, very outside chance you have to prepare for. Worrying won't change anything. There is nothing to do and raising the issue with Carnival or the Border Patrol will just cause problems. Let each look and see what they expect to see.

46 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Some of the questions are due to ignorance about genetics.

My husband is blond, I am a dark brunette, my daughter is a red head.  Many think that I can't possibly be her biological mother, including those nice Canadian border folks on at least two occasions.

Those Canadian officers have a need to be questioning.  My partner and I crossed into Canada to see a Canadian attraction.  He asked where we were from and we told him two different states (Texas and Michigan), he asked where we were going and what our relationship was.  We looked at each other because how do you answer  such a question when you have such a long history and we got sent to secondary inspection.  It was at least 30 minutes before they returned our passports  and let us go.  Our hesitation could have been due to human trafficking. 

We streamlined our answers after that.   

Guest BasicSailor
37 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I don't think the jokes about gender are really very appropriate. It's not unique or funny and doesn't help OP.

Sorry post 15 wasn't a joke, it was serious. No Smily face to indicate any difference. To come on a public form and ask such a question will leave the door wide open so to speak. Carnival in reality should know the answer to the question though.😉

2 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Sorry post 15 wasn't a joke, it was serious. No Smily face to indicate any difference. To come on a public form and ask such a question will leave the door wide open so to speak. Carnival in reality should know the answer to the question though.😉

Oh I know what you mean BasicSailor. I didn't want to point fingers but even if I was, I wouldn't have pointed one at you.

1 minute ago, BasicSailor said:

I, for one, didn't take it as a joke. It kind of reflected my thoughts... If the hospital is screwing things up is the screw-up the birth certificate gender is wrong or that they switched a couple of babies?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Carnival in reality should know the answer to the question though.😉

The folks answering the phones generally don't actual experience working at a cruise terminal.  During the half Alaska season (during which time the cruise lines didn't stop in Canada) that started in July 2021, we had many passengers showing up without passports and birth certificates after being told that since there was no stop in Canada, showing proof of citizenship wasn't necessary.  We run into other issues with travel agents or even cruise line call center folks giving out incorrect information.

As someone who checks in passengers, I am looking at a two year old child who appears to be a girl, with a name like Emma Rose Smith, traveling with parents Kaitlyn and Mason Smith, I am going to embark the family.   I have had kids that I thought they were one gender (longish hair on young boys), but I assumed incorrectly (and lucky that I know enough not to ask aloud).  If the child is of school age, and traveling with a birth certificate, then I may (and have) asked if they can tell me their date of birth.  If there is any concern on my part, I get a supervisor involved.

In addition to whatever paper work the parents have regarding the error on the BC, I would imagine that every photo they have taken of their daughter is on their phones, and they can show all 5K photos to the CBP officers as additional proof that she is their little girl.

• Like 6

In addition, each passengers has a security photo either submitted by them, or taken at the terminal.  CBP officers usually are looking at travel documents at the conclusion of the cruise (and in this case - a closed loop cruise).  The photo of the child who was embarked, will show that it is the same child disembarking.

• Like 1