Smart attire for women?

sundaypeople5

14 minutes ago, sundaypeople5 said:

I am curious about what smart attire really means for non-gala nights. Insight is very much appreciated.  Does smart attire mean a cocktail dress, office dress, sundress, or all 3?  Thank you.  

All would probably be fine, but not at once, unless the air conditioning is in overdrive. 😀Seriously, I wouldn’t wear a sun dress in the restaurant without a jacket, because I would find it too cold.

13 hours ago, sundaypeople5 said:

I am curious about what smart attire really means for non-gala nights. Insight is very much appreciated.  Does smart attire mean a cocktail dress, office dress, sundress, or all 3?  Thank you.  

What I would call a 'sun dress' is not smart attire. Too casual. Maybe okay for a restaurant in the evening in the topics but not on a ship.

• Like 1

I wore black trousers which have nice movement and looked classy- they are actually pure merino and were my "cold weather"  trousers too. I had a bunch of cheap but blingy tops to rotate through . I like trousers or long skirts because I don't wear stockings or fancy shoes 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sundaypeople5 said:

I’ve read a few posts that suggest long sleeves for women in the evenings.  We will be sailing the Med  in the months of June and July.  Are sleeves necessary due to the air-conditioning?

I haven’t cruised in the Med, but in the Caribbean I was always cold indoors and wore long sleeves and/or a heavy wrap.

12 minutes ago, sundaypeople5 said:

I’ve read a few posts that suggest long sleeves for women in the evenings.  We will be sailing the Med  in the months of June and July.  Are sleeves necessary due to the air-conditioning?

Whatever people might say, the air con can be fickle. If bare shoulders, sleeveless tops or dresses are to be worn, the best solution is a pashmina/shawl, a light dressy jacket or a shrug to keep to hand, just in case.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sundaypeople5 said:

It’s in the lap of the gods - or the engineers, at any rate. I’d take a jacket, and wear your strappiest dresses.

10 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

Just remember you don’t have to bring something different for every night, especially on a longer cruise.  You can change the look of a top by throwing on a sweater, jacket or shawl.  Even jewelry can make a big difference. 

Why even bother to try to look different every night? Rarely do people remember what others wear, with two exceptions. One, those few people who turn up for formal nights in tattered jeans and sweaty T-shirts, and secondly, women who turn up in spectacularly gorgeous dresses. In the latter case, most of us would be all too glad to see the outfit more than once.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Why even bother to try to look different every night? Rarely do people remember what others wear, with two exceptions. One, those few people who turn up for formal nights in tattered jeans and sweaty T-shirts, and secondly, women who turn up in spectacularly gorgeous dresses. In the latter case, most of us would be all too glad to see the outfit more than once.

How true.

There was a lovely couple sitting at the window table in front of us in August and it was a real pleasure to see what she wore every night. She had a wonderful figure and her beautiful, elegant dresses were worn with loads of style. Those are the clothes I will notice.

Dressing for dinner is not an exact science and neither does it need to be a spread sheet exercise. I'm of the ''let me look in the wardrobe and see what I want to wear'' mode of thinking. No pre-planning, loads of separates and a couple of long dresses for the Gala nights.

19 hours ago, sundaypeople5 said:

We were in the Med in August - it got really hot in Britannia at late dining - I was pleased to be wearing short or no sleeves - most men took their jackets off or stopped wearing them entirely (on non gala nights) 

11 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Some people think it’s important, it’s not I agree.  I stopped bringing multiple dressy shoes and outfits long ago but if you’re new to Cunard you might not know.

We we’re on a crossing last October where a tour group wore vintage clothing both for day and evening wear.  I looked forward to seeing them every day, they were fabulous!