Muster Drill

cacruisin

They have not reverted to pre-covid procedures on Carnival. You report to your assigned station after boarding, watch the life vest demo, and get cleared by the staff member via his electronic device.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

John Heald confirmed last week the new muster drill is here to stay, it will not revert back to the old way!

Which is exactly why those folks that unnecessarily procrastinate and make the Captain sometimes delay departure absolutely chap my backside.  

Hey Dude! You want this procedure to stick? Freakin' salute, say 'Yes sir', and get your butt over there in a timely manner. The ship is not allowed to leave until everyone completes muster.      E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E.  Not 97.5%. The two drink cutoff doesn't seem to be enough incentive for some of these numb skulls.

Here's what I'd do. At 30 minutes before the actual hard deadline (Is that perhaps formal push off from the dock?, IDK), I'd make a pointed announcement from the bridge using the word 'immediately' more than once.  At 15 minutes, I'd call out any pax not in compliance by name, threatening a fine. Those that still ignore and show up past the hard deadline; $500 fine plus risk of being immediately disembarked.

These few self absorbed unreasonable stragglers are messing with happy. Zero tolerance.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Which is exactly why those folks that unnecessarily procrastinate and make the Captain sometimes delay departure absolutely chap my backside.  

Hey Dude! You want this procedure to stick? Freakin' salute, say 'Yes sir', and get your butt over there in a timely manner. The ship is not allowed to leave until everyone completes muster.      E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E.  Not 97.5%. The two drink cutoff doesn't seem to be enough incentive for some of these numb skulls.

Here's what I'd do. At 30 minutes before the actual hard deadline (Is that perhaps formal push off from the dock?, IDK), I'd make a pointed announcement from the bridge using the word 'immediately' more than once.  At 15 minutes, I'd call out any pax not in compliance by name, threatening a fine. Those that still ignore and show up past the hard deadline; $500 fine plus risk of being immediately disembarked.

These few self absorbed unreasonable stragglers are messing with happy. Zero tolerance.

This! Why people can't simply follow directions for such an easy process is beyond me!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jsglow said:

They don't even charge that fine for people who smoke pot in their bathroom. Carnival's only "zero tolerance" policy seems to be trying to get 16 drinks on Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

John Heald confirmed last week the new muster drill is here to stay, it will not revert back to the old way!

Thank God!! There’s nothing worse than the old muster… the new one is so easy peasy! 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jsglow said:

My thought on the whole thing is NO DRINKS UNTIL YOUVE COMPLETED MUSTER!!!

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

My thought on the whole thing is NO DRINKS UNTIL YOUVE COMPLETED MUSTER!!!

Right if this is indeed a problem for Carnival it seems that is the obvious solution. No purchases onboard of any kind until you've checked in to Muster.

I think eMuster isn't long for this world any way though. So many other lines have gone back to the traditional muster process, the writing is on the wall.

No that is not true “that so many have gone back to the old way” (so far NCL, Disney, Regent Seven Seas and Oceania) and at least NCL are receiving major complaints.  I was reading the complaints about NCL just the other day.  And to jump on the John Heard train he has been saying all along that Carnival is listening to the cruisers and keeping the e-muster that everyone really likes.  Further the Coast Guard is fine with it.

Edited by LasVegasSolo
Spelling

5 hours ago, LasVegasSolo said:

And to jump on the John Heard train he has been saying all along that Carnival is listening to the cruisers and keeping the e-muster that everyone really likes.

And, listening to those passengers who wish for a more comfortable experience, but not necessarily listening to maritime safety experts at the IMO.

5 hours ago, LasVegasSolo said:

Further the Coast Guard is fine with it.

The USCG does not have the final say in this, the IMO does.  And, the USCG is fine with this as long as there is a covid health emergency.  When that expires in a couple of months, we'll see whether the e-muster retains its conditional approval from the IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, listening to those passengers who wish for a more comfortable experience, but not necessarily listening to maritime safety experts at the IMO.

The USCG does not have the final say in this, the IMO does.  And, the USCG is fine with this as long as there is a covid health emergency.  When that expires in a couple of months, we'll see whether the e-muster retains its conditional approval from the IMO.

I too wonder what will happen when the emergency declaration ends. I know Biden has stated he will end it, I forget when. But, with that ending I could easily see it going back. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to do it the old way, but I see it coming. 

45 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I don’t want to do it the old way, but I see it coming. 

DW and I will cruise *much* less often if it goes back to the old way. When cruising shut down, we started venturing to all inclusive resorts, and found out that many aspects of the AI are more preferable to the cruise experience for us. No mustering is Number 1 on that list. Much larger accommodations is a close number 2.

If the muster goes back the old way, it would become cruise to AK / UK / EU and AI / resort in Caribbean / mex. We spend most of our time cruising the Caribbean / mex, so our cruising time would be cut WAY down. 

2 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

DW and I will cruise *much* less often if it goes back to the old way. When cruising shut down, we started venturing to all inclusive resorts, and found out that many aspects of the AI are more preferable to the cruise experience for us. No mustering is Number 1 on that list. Much larger accommodations is a close number 2.

If the muster goes back the old way, it would become cruise to AK / UK / EU and AI / resort in Caribbean / mex. We spend most of our time cruising the Caribbean / mex, so our cruising time would be cut WAY down. 

Yes my wife and I are trending back to land-based vacations as well, at least for a while... we're still open to cruises but we are preferring land-based for now.

I find it amazing how spending less than 0.5% of your week's vacation (less if you're on a longer cruise) in perhaps uncomfortable conditions learning how to save your life in an unfamiliar environment (and trust me, a ship in an emergency is unfamiliar territory to 99.5% of the passengers, regardless of how many cruises they may have been on), can affect their decision on whether to cruise or not.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I find it amazing how spending less than 0.5% of your week's vacation (less if you're on a longer cruise) in perhaps uncomfortable conditions learning how to save your life in an unfamiliar environment (and trust me, a ship in an emergency is unfamiliar territory to 99.5% of the passengers, regardless of how many cruises they may have been on), can affect their decision on whether to cruise or not.

Believe me, it does. DW and I go sometimes 5 times a year. We know how to locate our muster stations by location on the back of the door,  and know how to locate the life jackets. I am not downplaying the importance of the drills, just making a statement about how the drills can be an irritant for those of us that cruise frequently. 

Edited by UPNYGuy

1 minute ago, UPNYGuy said:

Believe me, it does. DW and I go sometimes 5 times a year.

I wonder how it would go if the crew just decided that drills are "uncomfortable", and decided not to participate, since the passengers don't seem to care.

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I wonder how it would go if the crew just decided that drills are "uncomfortable", and decided not to participate, since the passengers don't seem to care.

I don’t disagree that they are important. As stated above.  We know how to locate our muster stations by location on the back of the door,  and know how to locate the life jackets. I am not downplaying the importance of the drills, just making a statement about how the drills can be an irritant for those of us that cruise frequently.  

12 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

I don’t disagree that they are important. As stated above.  We know how to locate our muster stations by location on the back of the door,  and know how to locate the life jackets. I am not downplaying the importance of the drills, just making a statement about how the drills can be an irritant for those of us that cruise frequently.  

The "irritant" value of the drill is what is realistic, having thousands of people going to their stations all at once (not just dribbling in as they like), and having to stay at the muster station with those hundred plus people for a while.  The e-muster does not provide that training for the passengers, and does not provide the crew with realistic crowd management training.  Believe me, if you think the muster drill is an irritant, just wait until you are in an actual emergency. Knowing how to get to your muster station from your cabin is the barest of minimum knowledge a passenger should have.  What if you were not in your cabin at the time of the emergency?  What if you needed to get forward, and found yourself wading against a tide of passengers that were heading aft?  What if the fire was between you and your muster station?

And, just so you know, I participated in at least one drill a week, for 26 weeks a year, for 46 years, and found it within myself to participate fully every time.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

I have been… ended up in a tropical storm on Sunrise. 

59ADEF18-BFC5-4050-85BB-BDC8B21F710D.jpeg

And, did they muster the passengers in preparation for abandoning the ship?  Did they have the crew standby in case of flooding?  I can pretty well guarantee you that the ship was in no danger of sinking, having been through tropical storms and hurricanes on various types of vessels.  Not saying it wasn't unpleasant, and not saying it wasn't scary, but it wasn't an emergency, even as powerful as Dorian was.