Cape Liberty transfer to JFK

tartantiara

Does anyone know how much NCL charge for transfer from Cape Liberty to JFK airport. I have checked on my booking but I have to put in a flight number and time before they will tell me. I have not booked flights yet as I am trying to work out whether it is cheaper to book fromJFK  including the transfer or to book from Newark which I know is closer to the port. We will be flying to Edinburgh in November . Thank you in advance for any info 

@tartantiara  NCL typically does not dock or use Cape Liberty for its ship (which is across the Hudson River in nearby New Jersey) and your transfer to JFK could be a problem - please recheck your cruise for details.  It is more expensive for ground transfer from NJ (and its EWR Airport) to NY's JFK Airport, car service (and Uber) at $100 + tolls + tips, and you'll need to allow at least 2 to 2.5 hours for the transfer or trip itself, and not worth the hassle involved.  You will likely be better off using JFK for your flights, especially when almost all NCL ships will (should) be docking in NYC.

There is also an East Coast destination forum here on CC dedicated to NY departure/port info, etc. that's more appropriate to inquire about specific details.  Happy planning & cruising ! 

P.S.  What ship & dates is this for, if you don't mind sharing ?

Edited by mking8288

Thank you, my husband checked on ‘ what’s in port’ and that was where we saw Getaway was  docking, there. It is a transatlantic cruise from U.K. if that makes a difference. On our itinerary it says New York, New York. How can we find out for definite which port it will be ? 

@tartantiara - OK, found it. Getaway 13 days, sailing London to NY, arriving Sat - 3 Nov in NY.  I can assure you that 99.5% that it is NOT going to be at Cape Liberty, rather NY side's MCT - Pier 88, which will make an easy transfer to JFK.  You will not be deal with NJ unless you can find better options, price & flights out of EWR (Newark Int'l).  License yellow taxi from the port to JFK is a flat rate plus toll & surcharges, about $70 to $80 plus tips (20% typically suggested).  

We're just off the GA on our 12 nights to the Caribbean - airport transfer to LGA (domestic flights) and JFK were priced just under $40 USD p/p each for international flights departing after 1 p.m. (recommend booking something later, since most Euro bound non-stops are late afternoon & evenings, lots of choices at JFK)   There is also a drive-by bus tour offered by NCL, with 2 or 3 quick photo stops before dropping off at LGA and JFK for those with later flights, partially covered by the $50 OBC (first person only).  

This is assuming you are not extending your stay in NYC to sightsee - do NOT fly out the next day as it is the world famous NYC Marathon Sunday - and getting to/from JFK (and LGA) can be a major headache in terms of ground transportation due to road closures across town.  

39 minutes ago, tartantiara said:

Thank you, my husband checked on ‘ what’s in port’ and that was where we saw Getaway was  docking, there. It is a transatlantic cruise from U.K. if that makes a difference. On our itinerary it says New York, New York. How can we find out for definite which port it will be ? 

Sounds like you are using one of the many unreliable port schedule websites. the website can be wrong and always have incorrect information 

the getaway will be docking at the Manhattan cruise terminal, pier 88. this is the terminal ncl always uses 

cape liberty is exclusive for Royal Caribbean corporation ships. NCL does not use this terminal 

1 minute ago, tartantiara said:

Thank you both for your information, we will book flights from JFK ( they are cheaper anyway) and will definitely not stay an extra night ,which we had considered, do not want to get caught up in marathon frenzy 😀

If you start training now you can enter the race while you're there.   😉

• Haha 4

As pointed out, there are multiple cruise sites that list Cape Liberty as the home port for NCL. All wrong. 

NCL uses the Manhattan Cruise Terminal all of the time. There have been isolated instances where they have used the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - but that is being converted to housing for migrants transported to New York. 

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL uses the Manhattan Cruise Terminal all of the time. There have been isolated instances where they have used the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - but that is being converted to housing for migrants transported to New York. 

not for long. I doubt it will be effective housing. MSC cruises is starting weekly cruises out of the Brooklyn Terminal in April 

Edited by shof515