Pool Deck Waitstaff Almost Nonexistent - Equinox

rclibertygirl5

5 hours ago, rclibertygirl5 said:

Yes I did and more.....  There were also obvious staffing issues in the main dining room.  We loved our waitstaff and they were working so hard but they just couldn't keep up.  

According to what I've been able to find, the majority of RCCL/X cruise employees are out of the Philippines, the wait for a visa appt is 39 calendar days.  I think the "waiting for a visa" excuse is running out of steam. Most corporate types only see out to the next quarter. As long as bookings are rolling in and the results are edging closer to the black, there's no incentive to change course (forgive the nautical sprinkle).   I predict it'll swing slightly back to pre-pandemic, but it'll never be as it was.  The cruise I'm taking in March has increased in price just about 66% over what it was when I booked it. I haven't taken my cruise yet (obviously), but if it doesn't meet my expectations, I can't see myself paying a premium price for simply a name on the side of a ship. It's the destinations I care about and I can get that on any cruise line.  

Guest TopoChico

I’ve been on 11 cruises since 2008 on Celebrity, RC and Princess, and I honestly never knew they had waiters walking around taking drink orders by the pool.  We always just got them ourselves at the bars.  Now, we don’t spend much time by the pools because all the empty chairs with towels holding them were such a drag, but I wouldn’t notice a difference now. On Royal in April and Celebrity in November 2022 there were no waiters by the pool that I noticed. OV bar on Millennium made the worst drinks I’ve ever had, anywhere. 

Edited by TopoChico

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

I have to say I saw one couple rent a cabana on EQ on my 10 nighter last week.  I sort of wonder how it worked out because I sure didn't see anyone providing any service.  Maybe someone from the sunset bar checked on them, not sure.  I sure would research that plan before committing.  

If there was no service, what gave you the impression they rented it?

We were on this same sailing and can confirm seeing servers walking around selling the pre-made drinks the last 2 sea days. I even said to my cruise mate that I wasn't used to seeing that on Celebrity (15 cruises). We didn't hang out around the pool so can report on that, but lounging in the solarium and chairs leading on both sides to the Sunset Bar we had servers coming around regularly to take orders, especially near the Sunset Bar. Almost impossible to get servers during lunchtime for us so I always picked up something on the way in or at the Oceanview Bar. Maybe repositioning some of the servers would help. Definitely agree with there being staffing problems in the main dining room during dinner, at least the anytime dining section. Staff always friendly but definitely rushed, rushed, rushed.

Edited by Galaxy2004

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

I have to say I saw one couple rent a cabana on EQ on my 10 nighter last week.  I sort of wonder how it worked out because I sure didn't see anyone providing any service.  Maybe someone from the sunset bar checked on them, not sure.  I sure would research that plan before committing.  

they have a phone so they call when they want service

In days of old , before the advent of the ever popular drink packages , there were wait staff all over the ships soliciting drinks. Now with the PREPAID drink packages, you are pretty much on your own to get them. I don’t have issue with that providing the bars are staffed well enough that you don’t have to wait a long time to get your beverage or beverages.

17 hours ago, Galaxy2004 said:

We were on this same sailing and can confirm seeing servers walking around selling the pre-made drinks the last 2 sea days. I even said to my cruise mate that I wasn't used to seeing that on Celebrity (15 cruises). We didn't hang out around the pool so can report on that, but lounging in the solarium and chairs leading on both sides to the Sunset Bar we had servers coming around regularly to take orders, especially near the Sunset Bar. Almost impossible to get servers during lunchtime for us so I always picked up something on the way in or at the Oceanview Bar. Maybe repositioning some of the servers would help. Definitely agree with there being staffing problems in the main dining room during dinner, at least the anytime dining section. Staff always friendly but definitely rushed, rushed, rushed.

I have not seen that before either...but now that they have done away with the Always Included..for virtually everyone... they may be pushing drinks... targeting the 'cruise only' crowd.

• Like 1