On Diamond Now En Route to Japan

Bobbiegentry

5 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

We tend to prefer the smaller ships. The Diamond is just the right size for us. Of course, YMMV. 
It simply doesn’t feel crowded. Part of this is the reduced pax numbers on this cruise but even with a full load, it would still be good. 

Deck 7 has a completely wrap around Promenade. The newer ships have eliminated this feature in favor of revenue producing spaces. Consequently, we try very hard to completely avoid these newer ships. 
The food on the Diamond is unquestionably the best we’ve ever had on any Princess ship. 
The Santa Fe dining room is very nicely designed and appointed. 
The layout of the ship is very familiar. Feels like coming home. 
Much of the crew are Japanese. VERY friendly people. 

Can’t answer your question about the Izumi. We’ve not been there since our embarkation day tour and the area can’t really be seen from deck 14. It can be seen from higher decks but we’ve not gone up there much. 
Sorry I couldn’t help. 

Thanks very much for responding to my question.  I miss the wrap around Promenade, so I will look forward to taking my walks on Deck 7.  

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Is there a reason why breakfast and lunch are being served in the hard-to-get-to aft dining room

Instead of having three dining rooms which are about the same size, the two center dining rooms on other ships have been divided into four dining rooms on this ship.

Thus the aft dining room is the only "full size" one and can handle a larger number of passengers for those two meals.

17 minutes ago, caribill said:

Instead of having three dining rooms which are about the same size, the two center dining rooms on other ships have been divided into four dining rooms on this ship.

Thus the aft dining room is the only "full size" one and can handle a larger number of passengers for those two meals.

I understood the concept and rationale.  Doesn’t mean I have to like it! 

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That's disappointing.  I know many had an excursion planned.  How's the ride in general?  There has been strange weather happening everywhere.

A bit bumpy but nowhere even approaching “bad”. 
Captain Ravera offered a very thorough and detailed explanation of the reasons why he decided to skip the port. 
He even had the courage to invite pax to come visit with him on Deck 6. I really do like this guy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Captain just announced we are skipping the planned port stop in Saipan. 
Too windy. 

Wow. We had booked that cruise just for Saipan and Guam but cancelled. After almost 1500 cruise nights I totally understand weather related itinerary changes but that one would have been a disappointment. And I agree; Captain Ravera is one of our favorites, for all the reasons you mention. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:08 PM, Californian said:

Thanks very much for responding to my question.  I miss the wrap around Promenade, so I will look forward to taking my walks on Deck 7.  

While the Diamond does have a full walk around promenade, toward the bow of the ship you have to take stairs up to deck 8, wrap around the front, and then stairs back down to deck 7.  For the sixteen days I was on the Diamond those stairs up to deck 8 were always closed.

IMG_1845_1.thumb.jpg.888fd2432276ab23bc66ecd603b39018.jpg

Edited by Oakman58

15 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

While the Diamond does have a full walk around promenade, toward the bow of the ship you have to take stairs up to deck 8, wrap around the front, and then stairs back down to deck 7.  For the sixteen days I was on the Diamond those stairs up to deck 8 were always closed.

IMG_1845_1.thumb.jpg.888fd2432276ab23bc66ecd603b39018.jpg

Such an arrangement is the norm for all current Princess Grand Class ships. 
Maybe a maintenance issue on your cruise?

On this sailing, we’ve seen the Deck 8 part closed only at night and a couple of days when it’s been really windy/rainy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Throughout the cruise I’ve noticed what appeared to be an inordinately large number of first timers on Princess for a 25 day cruise so I asked the Loyalty Manager. 
Blue - 370

Gold - 233

Red - 146

Platinum - 451

Elite - 428

These numbers do surprise me.  I would have guessed there would be more experienced cruisers since it is a TransPacific.  

I am wondering what the next few breakdowns will look like?  If you happen to stop by the office again..and ask what the percentage of Japanese/Americans/Others.

19 hours ago, Andrew J. Cat said:

The bridge cam shows that you are enroute to Kobe.  Does Princess offer a shore excursion to Kyoto from Kobe on your cruise?

It appears so. The descriptions and pricing are gone as we’ve already docked in Kobe. 
6053CD48-6F88-4A34-81C7-8A4B8CCFEE96.thumb.png.1ff017f4462b11928578484e0e539b11.png

Edited by Bobbiegentry
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 6:35 PM, Bobbiegentry said:

It appears so. The descriptions and pricing are gone as we’ve already docked in Kobe. 
6053CD48-6F88-4A34-81C7-8A4B8CCFEE96.thumb.png.1ff017f4462b11928578484e0e539b11.png

Thanks!!  I’m considering the November circle Japan cruise.  They just now loaded the Kobe shore excursions.  I’m interested in visiting Kyoto.