WINDOW TABLE at TOSCANA

Acrusa

There is no bar in Toscana.  There is happy hour 5-6pm in Horizons and Martini's.  Of course, cocktails are served at both venues until late.  I like Horizons because the band that plays there is usually very good.  A window table is nice if it is still light out.  You can request a window table when you arrive for your reservation.  If none are available you can either wait for one or be seated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acrusa said:

Have 7:30 reservation.  What time should I arrive? Is there a bar in Toscana so I can go early and have a drink 

7:30. 
There are no bars in the specialty restaurants except for Polo. But, it’s not really used for socializing- rather for wine storage.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We ended up in a window seat in Toscana in the back.  It was our first time and it was already dark out.  While we liked having a large table for just the two of us, I would prefer another location.  You sit facing the window at the start of the window angled downward and out.  So between us and the window was a small triangle of space and if we looked upwards, the window became like a mirror showing us the other tables.  Just felt odd.  Now if it was light, this might be pleasant but in general, we felt the window seats in all the restaurants were wasted at night.  Even the beautiful two top in the corner in Jacque you could see nothing but a dark window.

Now during the daylight, we loved lunch in a window seat in the MDR.  And of course sitting outside in the Terrace in good weather was very pleasant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woofa said:

We ended up in a window seat in Toscana in the back.  It was our first time and it was already dark out.  While we liked having a large table for just the two of us, I would prefer another location.  You sit facing the window at the start of the window angled downward and out.  So between us and the window was a small triangle of space and if we looked upwards, the window became like a mirror showing us the other tables.  Just felt odd.  Now if it was light, this might be pleasant but in general, we felt the window seats in all the restaurants were wasted at night.  Even the beautiful two top in the corner in Jacque you could see nothing but a dark window.

Now during the daylight, we loved lunch in a window seat in the MDR.  And of course sitting outside in the Terrace in good weather was very pleasant.

Many (not all) tables for two are by the windows and it is one of our favourite spots.  The blinds can be lowered to block the sun or any reflections.  We enjoy a sunset but if too strong, we just ask for the blinds to be lowered. 

3 hours ago, Woofa said:

We had *one* meal at Toscana some years ago, and had the exact same experience.  When it is dark, that rear window gives very strange reflections, NOT what we were expecting when asking for a window!  (Yes, we enjoy window tables after dark, but when the window is still a "window"!)

Right next to a window, after dark there's usually some sort of view if one bothers to look, but not when it's angled like that.  And that short/vanishing space is pretty much wasted.  Very odd, although I'm not sure what else they could do with that space given the window is already there, like that (?).

That was the only meal we really did not like, and we never went back.  We should probably give it another try, however.  But we have such favorites elsewhere...! 😋

It's always a difficult decision where to eat.  Such problems...!!

GC

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Woofa said:

We had the same experience.  We like Toscana but the angled window gives a very strange experience after dark, and we would avoid it if offered it again.

• Like 1

The moral to this entire story is unless one is seasonally traveling when it’s daylight at 7:30, or any other time, there is no advantage to having a window view seat. In fact, the cons may outweigh the pros.

FWIW, on our October cruise out of Bilboa it was pitch dark at 5:30. 

19 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I wonder if luxury lines like Seabourne, Silver Seas and Ponant have the issue of dark windows at night?  

Realize you were kidding, but I can add factually that in two of the specialty restaurants on at least the Regent Splendor and Explorer the windows ARE dark.  Both the steakhouse and the French restaurant are on the aft and have the tilted windows.  The windows have a film on them to reduce the heat in the seating area under them.  It is a strange experience to sit at one of those tables at sunset as it is appreciably darker there than looking out to the front of the restaurant.  And, yes, after it is fully dark outside you have the same reflections of the dining room as the OP reported.