Sitka with group of 12

HMY624

Trying to figure out how to best see Sitka with a group of 12- 6 adults and 6 kids. Sounds like most things are walkable except the Fortress of the Bear? Is it “worth” it to hire a taxi/rent a car to go there or is this something that is disappointing once you are there? We were fine doing a tour but can’t find anyone who will take more than 10 of us! Does anyone have a suggestion? Or just skip the bears? 

also, where can we see the salmon run (we will be there in August)? Is this something we can walk to as well?

TIA

Fortress of the Bear has mixed reviews, but I wonder if the kiddos would enjoy it.

The stream running through the Sitka National Historical Park (the locals refer to it as the totem pole park) is a salmon spawning stream.  It is easily walkable from the Harrigan Centennial Center.  The HCC is the drop off point for  the shuttle buses from the Sitka cruise terminal 

1 hour ago, HMY624 said:

Trying to figure out how to best see Sitka with a group of 12- 6 adults and 6 kids. Sounds like most things are walkable except the Fortress of the Bear? Is it “worth” it to hire a taxi/rent a car to go there or is this something that is disappointing once you are there? We were fine doing a tour but can’t find anyone who will take more than 10 of us! Does anyone have a suggestion? Or just skip the bears? 

also, where can we see the salmon run (we will be there in August)? Is this something we can walk to as well?

TIA

I personally really enjoyed the Fortress of the Bear, although I didn't do it as an excursion. Husband and I took a trip to Sitka in 2021 to visit family and went while we were there for a week. We also liked the raptor center.

We booked with a vendor as we got off the ship shuttle in Sitka this past September. We went to the Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor center. We had an extended family of 6 that included 2 kids. I had checked with some private vendors but so glad we waited and did this one...so much cheaper. Easy to spot as they are holding a BIG sign and have a couple of buses waiting. We paid..jumped on the bus (that will easily hold your group) and were on our way. Our two grandkids absolutely loved this tour.

In Ketchikan just walk up Creek Street to see the salmon run. We saw quite a few during our time frame.