How the New Crystal is treating Old Crystal loyalists

FLcruiser2011

On 3/21/2023 at 10:07 AM, Keith1010 said:

The company I spent most of my career with was one of the originators of e-mail for commercial use. 

Do you remember when you had to type out the exact routing path for your email, listing each server and separating them with an exclamation point (called Bang in those days)??  No DNS systems to handle the routing from server to server - you did it yourself.

48 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Do you remember

Or the "international standard" for email interchange between vendors - X.400 and X.25 for transport - before TCP/IP and the internet prevailed - shades of the Beta v VHS wars

I remember achieving success when we were able to exchange emails between DEC and Data General systems - oh how things have progressed

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Do you remember when you had to type out the exact routing path for your email, listing each server and separating them with an exclamation point (called Bang in those days)??  No DNS systems to handle the routing from server to server - you did it yourself.

Thankfully internal e-mail which the most of ours was at the time was relatively easy but yes external was more complex.

I remember when I had to drive into the office on weekends to check mail as we had no capability from home.  Eventually I was given a "dumb" terminal  which allowed me to dial in and check mail. No printing capabilities at home.  And then the first portable I was given today would be considered a suit case. Oh those were the days and we've come along way.

We eventually sold a video device but that was short lived and years later what we had seen at the New York World's Fair came about but with smart phones and applications such as FaceTime and WhatsApp.

Keith

20 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

We eventually sold a video device but that was short lived and years later what we had seen at the New York World's Fair came about but with smart phones and applications such as FaceTime and WhatsApp.

Keith

And my Apple Watch is Dick Tracy's 'wrist radio' !!!

• Like 1