? Nonrefundable deposit? Refundable deposit?

Alakegirl

No they do not.  If you need to cancel your cruise, Azamara will retain 150.00 per stateroom and will refund the rest, in the US at least.  There is not a discounted non refundable rate like other lines have begun to offer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 4:52 PM, KEN31VA said:

Yes.  Wasn't on the Azamara web site, but was from my TA.

Please elaborate, as this is the first I have heard about this.  Azamara has always retained an administrative fee for cancellations outside the penalty dates, but otherwise does not have any  non-refundable deposit fares.  [That was a Celebrity experiment; I don't know if they're still doing it.]

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Please elaborate, as this is the first I have heard about this.  Azamara has always retained an administrative fee for cancellations outside the penalty dates, but otherwise does not have any  non-refundable deposit fares.  [That was a Celebrity experiment; I don't know if they're still doing it.]

Celebrity is still doing it. Meant cruise lines are now offering a cheaper, non refundable cruise only fare.  Azamara is not one of them.

I can only speak from my experience.  About a year ago when I purchased my Azamara cruise, through a travel agent, it was stated that the deposit was fully refundable up to final payment.  (Since I didn't cancel, I can't say for sure that would have been the case.)  As it happened, I checked the fares about two weeks after final payment and they had been reduced by $3,000 per cabin.  My travel agent was able to have Azamara credit me with the difference in OBCs resulting in expensive gifts for all the grandkids.

On 2/16/2023 at 2:08 PM, laurieb said:

No they do not.  If you need to cancel your cruise, Azamara will retain 150.00 per stateroom and will refund the rest, in the US at least.  There is not a discounted non refundable rate like other lines have begun to offer.  

Anyone know how Azamara handles cancellations in UK? Deposit only paid,  but it was a hefty £1000, via a travel agent.

7 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

Anyone know how Azamara handles cancellations in UK? Deposit only paid,  but it was a hefty £1000, via a travel agent.

We lose all the deposit in my experience unless we immediately transfer it to a new booking 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

In the U.K. it’s loss of deposit which is £250 pp (unless it’s an onboard booking when the deposit is 50%) however I have noticed since the covid hiatus some U.K. travel agents have been adding their own cancellation fees.

• Like 2

Just now, Riocca said:

In the U.K. it’s loss of deposit which is £250 pp (unless it’s an onboard booking when the deposit is 50%) however I have noticed since the covid hiatus some U.K. travel agents have been adding their own cancellation fees.

Yes one also asked for a top up deposit effectively removing the benefit of an onboard booking 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes one also asked for a top up deposit effectively removing the benefit of an onboard booking 

Yes it’s these money grabbing changes that’s stopped us using travel agents, we’ve received good service from Azamara direct who have discovered FCC’s that our old travel agent insisted didn’t exist.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Yes it’s these money grabbing changes that’s stopped us using travel agents, we’ve received good service from Azamara direct who have discovered FCC’s that our old travel agent insisted didn’t exist.

Exactly. I’ve switched agent again. This one seems ok because my “agent” is their Head of Cruise Sales of a very large agency but they are on one strike and they are out with us so I’m watching like a hawk. 
It’s also the abject ignorance about the product and the laziness of many agencies - claiming Azamara said x when they’d never even called them that’s far too prevalent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Exactly. I’ve switched agent again. This one seems ok because my “agent” is their Head of Cruise Sales of a very large agency but they are on one strike and they are out with us so I’m watching like a hawk. 
It’s also the abject ignorance about the product and the laziness of many agencies - claiming Azamara said x when they’d never even called them that’s far too prevalent. 

There’s also the problem of Trade sales where agents hide the fact the booking is with the Travel Agent and not the cruise line and it’s the agents t&c’s that apply to the booking which can include all sorts of unwarranted conditions.
Sad to say cruise booking in the U.K. has been a minefield for years often catching out the unwary but since covid it’s a lot worse. Cruise lines rely on agents to promote their products so in a way are complicit in some of the things that are going on, we will be continuing to book direct until things improve.

• Like 1

And it’s disappointing when an agent that is involved in less than scrupulous activities the cruise line will not go into bat for the guest. I think oldco Azamara struggled by being part of RC and even though their business support team might have been upset by how your booking or money was handled, they knew the agency had the upper hand due to the volume of sales made for RC group. 
It would be fantastic if newco Azamara could set some higher more ethical standards (eg forbidding additional deposits) but then they’d risk losing some business from agents. I’m not sure they would be confident they’d capture all that by additional direct sales. 

• Like 1

One of the online internet agencies I am looking at is charging a booking fee of $19.95.  I suppose they get burned on doing all of the work, only to see customers cancel.  I would only book with this one because if offer the AMEX Platinum.  He told me that he believed my entire deposit is nonrefundable at all times, so I am probably better off booking with someone else.