MSC Meraviglia boarding at Red Hook Brooklyn

SusanMK

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

How did you find out which port you're cruising out of? I'm on the MERAVIGLIA 4/29. I'm flying in from Phx. I did a quick search today and thought I found that I'm cruising out of Cape Liberty. I want to fly into the closest airport. Thanks!

JFK is the closest airport for you to fly in to. Cruise is out of Brooklyn.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 8:57 PM, CruisinMaterial said:

You'd be biting your nails if you tried the public transit options to get to Brooklyn and the Uber/Lyft charges are up there.

Are you saying that taking the subway then ferry from Manhattan to Red Hook on a Sunday morning will be a problem?

For Brooklyn Cruise Terminal the subway is over 1.5 miles away. Only public transit is by bus or NYC Ferry which stops in the basin off the cruise terminal.

Smith and 9th Street on the F or G line of the subway which happens to be the highest elevated stop in the subway system and if the escalators are broken you are carrying your bags. No elevators, subway is not recommended for Brooklyn cruise terminal.

If you do get off at Smith and 9th it would be the B61 bus the only bus that runs close to the terminal on Van Brunt Street. You can catch the B61 in Downtown Brooklyn from other subway stops. 

2 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

Smith and 9th Street on the F or G line of the subway which happens to be the highest elevated stop in the subway system and if the escalators are broken you are carrying your bags. No elevators, subway is not recommended for Brooklyn cruise terminal.

Good call about the Smith and 9th escalators. Getting luggage down them when they're running would be tough enough. 

11 hours ago, smokeykat said:

JFK is the closest airport for you to fly in to. Cruise is out of Brooklyn.

Everything I have read online states Laguardia is closer. Also taxi/uber estimates are significantly less from LGA when I query.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:49 PM, NCMtnBoys said:

We're on the Meraviglia 5/21 and I just automatically assumed we'd be departing out of the Manhattan cruise terminal but later learned we'll be departing out of the Brooklyn terminal. I didn't even know there was a Brooklyn terminal. This'll be our first cruise out of New York. We'll be flying in/out of LGA and spending two nights pre-cruise in NYC so don't need parking anywhere but if we'd planned to park at the port, WHOA, $45/day is outrageous!

Parking in NYC/Brooklyn is the same, and yes...all $$$. Welcome to the Big Apple.

We took an Uber for a repositioning Princess cruise in November.  It is about an hour from my house in NJ to the Brooklyn cruise terminal.  The fare was reasonable, around $75.  But the driver told us that if he knew in advance we were going to Brooklyn he would have turned us down because he is not allowed to pick up anyone in NY for a return trip to NJ.  Because it was a Saturday morning without too much traffic and a nice day he didn't complain too much.

My cruise on the Meraviglia in October leaves on a Wednesday and returns on a Sunday which I just found out is the NY Marathon.  Probably will have to take a bus to Manhattan and then the ferry and visa versa. 

12 hours ago, Anastas617 said:

Everything I have read online states Laguardia is closer. Also taxi/uber estimates are significantly less from LGA when I query.

Laguardia is undergoing outdoor construction now. Also a lot depends on the parkways used to get to Red Hook. I would fly into JFK but that's my opinion having lived in Queens for many years.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:25 PM, mackfam said:

Are you saying that taking the subway then ferry from Manhattan to Red Hook on a Sunday morning will be a problem?

Personally, I'm not into subways and especially with luggage. We are taking the train into Penn Station then either walking or taking a taxi to the Ferry at East 34th st.

Taking the Ferry to Wall Street Pier 11 and then free transfer to the Ferry that goes to Red Hook.  For $4 for the ferry and room for the luggage I'm thinking this would work best for us but I haven't seen anyone else mention the Ferry at E 34th ST. so don't know if I'm missing something.

The walk is no big deal for us since we usually walk to the Manhattan pier weather permitting.

Edited by ms sjsky
mis worded

22 minutes ago, ms sjsky said:

Personally, I'm not into subways and especially with luggage. We are taking the train into Penn Station then either walking or taking a taxi to the Ferry at East 34th st.

Taking the Ferry to Wall Street Pier 11 and then free transfer to the Ferry that goes to Red Hook.  For $4 for the ferry and room for the luggage I'm thinking this would work best for us but I haven't seen anyone else mention the Ferry at E 34th ST. so don't know if I'm missing something.

The walk is no big deal for us since we usually walk to the Manhattan pier weather permitting.

Thanks for the thought.  I'll have to check this out for my cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 6:15 PM, KarenGretz said:

Yeah, I think it was an old listing in their website for Cape Liberty. All the articles I read after asking this question is pointing me to Brooklyn. So I changed my flight back to JFK. The times and the fact that it's non-stop work best for me. Thanks for your help everyone!

Living in Brooklyn, you can see on the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Listing shows MSC added to the sailing location for their ship.

• Thanks 1

MSC Ships that are making NYC a port of call like MSC Divina 5/18-5/19, MSC Explorer 9/25-9/26, 10/12-10/14, 10/29-10/30 will be at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. MCT can dock up to 6 cruise ships at a time Piers 88/90/92. (Pier 92 is not rebuilt or modernized for #5/6)

MSC Meraviglia will be Home Ported so is using Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, BCT can only dock one cruise ship at a time. 

1 hour ago, Brighton Line said:

MSC Ships that are making NYC a port of call like MSC Divina 5/18-5/19, MSC Explorer 9/25-9/26, 10/12-10/14, 10/29-10/30 will be at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. MCT can dock up to 6 cruise ships at a time Piers 88/90/92. (Pier 92 is not rebuilt or modernized for #5/6)

MSC Meraviglia will be Home Ported so is using Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, BCT can only dock one cruise ship at a time. 

It's going to be strange seeing her there so high and visible. I get a kick seeing the QM2 from the 69th Street Crossover Bridge on the Belt Parkway, I can imagine see what this one will more noticeable from that distance. 

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

It's going to be strange seeing her there so high and visible. I get a kick seeing the QM2 from the 69th Street Crossover Bridge on the Belt Parkway, I can imagine see what this one will more noticeable from that distance. 

I love seeing the ships in Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from the Gowanus Expressway or when I'm going over the Manhattan Bridge on the subway. Can't wait to be back sailing from Brooklyn in the end of May.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brighton Line said:

I love seeing the ships in Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from the Gowanus Expressway or when I'm going over the Manhattan Bridge on the subway. Can't wait to be back sailing from Brooklyn in the end of May.

Love seeing the structures bobbing in and out from the roofs, but once on the top of the GP you really see the site.

Like in June, once I see it I just want to jump out of the car and be there..

I actually start shaking when we get off at Hamilton Avenue and no body get in our way blocking the entrance at Imlay Street Gate.

LOL.................................

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, garkar87 said:

Just asking for my parents, they booked the port transfer from JFK for April 29th sailing.  Does anyone know where the MSC shuttle picks up (meeting spot) from JFK?

Thank you 

Karen 

Hi Karen! I'm also named Karen, ha! I also booked this transfer. When I booked it, it had me email my flight information as well as my cruise information, in order to confirm my transfer. That was a couple days ago and I haven't heard back. Have you done this? Have you heard back? I'm also curious. We're going to kind of be the guinea pigs since this is only the second cruise sailing from Brooklyn for MSC. Keep me posted! Thanks!

Just a guess, but in the past, when we booked cruiseline transfers there were reps holding big signs on poles near baggage claim, or between the arrival gate and baggage claim. Couldn't miss them. The signs clearly named the cruiseline, and the reps were in a sort of uniform to match. They could answer any question, check off your name and ship, and direct you to the appropriate bus or other vehicle.  We never had any advance confirmation, but it all worked out just fine.

• Like 1

Regarding the transfer my parents flight lands at 830am. I hope a representative is there that early.  Their travel agent said they should go to a shuttle post but I disagree.  Their flight information was provided so I figure the MSC rep will be at their baggage claim area.  Just not sure how early the shuttles start.

Karen 

6 minutes ago, garkar87 said:

Regarding the transfer my parents flight lands at 830am. I hope a representative is there that early.  Their travel agent said they should go to a shuttle post but I disagree.  Their flight information was provided so I figure the MSC rep will be at their baggage claim area.  Just not sure how early the shuttles start.

Karen 

I land at 710am. I'm a former travel agent. Feel free to contact me privately and I can meet up with them and I can buddy up with them.

51 minutes ago, garkar87 said:

Their travel agent said they should go to a shuttle post but I disagree.  Their flight information was provided so I figure the MSC rep will be at their baggage claim area.

There will be a location that they have to meet people and assign them to a bus.  They won't be at the bag area for your particular flight.

1 hour ago, KarenGretz said:

I land at 710am. I'm a former travel agent. Feel free to contact me privately and I can meet up with them and I can buddy up with them.

That sounds great. Here is my email and I can give you their phone number.

Garkar87 at yahoo dot ca

They won't forget your name as it is the same as mine lol

Karen 

• Like 1