Silhouette Retreat Sun Deck Facilities?

Project_gal

Without going into the ins and outs of why, it will be 5 1/2 years since our last cruise on Celebrity when we final board our Silhouette cruise in just over a year's time. I have returned to CC, and searched elsewhere on the Internet, but am finding much of the information confusing. 

What facilities are there at the Retreat Sun Deck, please? Is there a bar? If so, what hours is it open? Do they serve any food? Is there a hot tub? Is there really a charge for use of the cabanas? Anything else I should know?

Many thanks for any information.

Edited by Project_gal

A good resource will be to download the Celebrity App.   In additions to all bars, shops and coffee they show the opening and closing times.

The Retreat Sundeck is open 8Am - 8PM

Snacks    11:20-2:30

If I recall correctly (sure someone will correct me if wrong) There is no Bar up there but they have a bar setup in the backroom.   You just order your drink and they deliver it.   Light Lunch and snacks available.

They do also have a Hot Tub and showers as well as loungers with some having protection from the sun.

They do charge to use the Cabanas but they are located on the Lawn Club.    The charge includes a Liter Bottle of Premium Booze or Champagne, Beer and food.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

I vaguely remember a small bar on the retreat sun deck last year. Also, Jim is correct, the cabanas that you can rent are on the pool deck, but there are also little covered cabana type structures on the retreat sun deck that are available to the first person who walks up at no charge. We had a half empty ship last year and still had a hard time making it to those before the chair hogs. Attaching a picture that kinda shows the retreat ones.

PXL_20220117_160218432~2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Currently on the Silhouette now. The Retreat Sundeck does have a small bar on the top deck and a hot tub on the bottom deck. No pay-for cabanas but there are some covered loungers. There is limited menu service, as well. In the event you would like a drink that the Retreat Sundeck bar does not have, they will do there best to have someone get it for you.

• Thanks 1

Hi there!

We were on Silhouette post covid for the British Isles cruise. There is a small bar and a jacuzzi. There was ample shade for our cruise but in the Caribbean you would need to choose an appropriate area. As there is lovely air flow in the area the actual sun factor is deceptive. Service was excellent and we found the lunchtime menu offered an ideal light midday snack when we didn’t particularly want to move and dress to eat. I seem to remember bar service was approximately 10am until 5pm but this could vary…As peanut head said the staff will do their best to get you any beverage you want.

There was ample comfortable seating. Nice to see appropriate areas to lie, sit and dine. However, we did find much of the seating was very low…Anyone with knee or back issues may be better doubling up the cushions to enable sitting comfortably and being able to get up again. On our first visit we did this, on our second a member of staff saw us coming and arranged a two tier chair for us. We found the steps between the two levels manageable despite some mobility issues. We were quite shocked on our cruise that the covered beds were ‘hogged’ early even despite early morning drizzle in Belfast! I can imagine the same happening in the Caribbean. Also one jacuzzi for all Retreat guests is limiting. On our cruise in colder regions it wasn’t an issue but I can imagine it being busy in hotter regions.

There are cabanas in the lawn area…We didn’t think they were particularly private and were at extra cost.

Our general impression of Silhouette is that it is our favourite S class ship and we have sailed them all! The Retreat deck is much better than the one on Equinox and, of course, as yet the other S class ships don’t have a Retreat deck at all. The extended seating area at the side of the Sunset Bar was a good move in our experience. A nice place to hang out at any time of the day…

We loved the speciality dining on Silhouette. I know you are fans of Luminae and will probably dine there most of the time but consider the Porch one or two lunchtimes as well as the Lawn Grill on an evening…we did find both venues very relaxing.

Happy cruising! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad to hear of the small bar.   Can you actually sit at the bar or is it just a serving bar?    I'm not into laying in the sun so never have even had "snacks" up there. 

I vaguely remember there being seats, but not much shade at bar. Think maybe 4 or 5 stools at max. It was off in the front corner of the upper deck, iirc.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OtherFigment said:

I vaguely remember there being seats, but not much shade at bar. Think maybe 4 or 5 stools at max. It was off in the front corner of the upper deck, iirc.

When we were on board I think there were two stools facing out but that was as cruising returned so things may be different now.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad to hear of the small bar.   Can you actually sit at the bar or is it just a serving bar?    I'm not into laying in the sun so never have even had "snacks" up there. 

Jim

we were on in October and there were 4 stools at the bar. There are also seats and tables across from the bar which are set up for food and the are some shade areas there. From memory the food is now produced from the Mast Grill rather than hauling it up from Luminae as they were doing in March 2020 after the refit.

The means that they now serve fries rather than crisp, which used to fly off your plate and leave oily marks on the newly finished deck. We uses it a number of times and it was good for a light lunch.

• Thanks 1

In December the lunch menu included the Luminae burger with fries, Caesar salad with chicken, shrimp cocktail and a Turkey wrap of some kind. I wanted a different salad dressing and it was fetched for me. Very nice sliders passed by crew around 11:30. As Jim said, the app has useful info. Shady spots across from the bar with small tables.

• Thanks 1

We are docked in Antigua today. Since the ship was mostly empty we spent an hour at the pool and then decided to go up to the Retreat Sundeck at 10am. It was deserted except for 1 other couple!  We had the covered lounger—not a chair/lounge piggy 🐷 in sight!  We canceled our Porch lunch reservations b/c it was just so perfect on the Sundeck and had lunch there. Contrary to previous posts, our turkey wrap and chicken sandwich came with potato chips and not fries.  By the time we left an hour or so ago, maybe 8 more guests showed up.  We are so surprised at how quiet and peaceful it was and will try again tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, Project_gal said:

What facilities are there at the Retreat Sun Deck, please? Is there a bar? If so, what hours is it open? Do they serve any food? Is there a hot tub? Is there really a charge for use of the cabanas? Anything else I should know?

We spent tons of time on the Silhouette's Retreat Sun Deck last fall @Project_gal during our cruise because the weather was unexpectedly fabulous.

Yes, there is a bar. It's on the port side, and there were about 7-8 stools, but only a few peeps sat there. Otherwise, the rest of this area is filled with full-length deck chairs; small cafe-style tables offering cushioned bench seating/individual chairs; a few covered "cabanas" (queen-size area under a canopy with many pillows); two-person loveseats around a small cocktail table; etc. You can go to the bar for your next round, but we found both a bartender and/or server would come to us. Very attentive service and, on our cruise, there was always a ton of seating-options available.

As @Jim_Iain said, it's basically open "all day" but that does depend on the weather. A few evenings, as the weather turned, we watched the crew remove cushions and "batten down the hatches" in preparation. If you look at the photo I posted, you'll see a rope along the recliners in the V between top/bottom, to hold them tight in preparation. On a few days, this space sadly wasn't open at all because of nasty weather.

Food is readily available, and staff members often brought about "nibbles" to enjoy, such as sliders. Otherwise, there is also a menu of select items you can order.

There is a hot tub down a "half level" via stairs in the bow, which is also where the restrooms are located. This lower level also offers more seating, including a generous row of deck chairs behind a half-wall of glass between you and the bow, offering lovely, uninterrupted views of what's ahead.

Not sure about a cabana cost but, based on our experience, there didn't seem to be one. It seemed that these spots were always available and people just plopped down into one. I suspect, however, that this is might be cruise-dependent; our upcoming Caribbean cruise will prove enlightening!

Finally, here are a few other things I offer about the Silhouette Retreat Sun Deck:

• Hold your cruise card against the entrance gate for a bit until you see the green light; don't wave it to gain access.

• If you feel chilly, ask a staff member for one of the wonderfully snugly plaid blankets available. (We actually had two of these sent to our cabin to use on our veranda.)

• During our cruise, the Sun Deck staff quickly remembered our names and our usual drink orders, which we appreciated.

• We didn't need to, but we tipped those we appreciated service-wise.

Overall, the Silhouette's Retreat Sun Deck proved one of our favorite spots, and I hope you feel that way too after your cruise!

cjr

2022_08_29_3222.JPG

Edited by CNSfromHI
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The difficulty with the bar on the Retreat Sundeck is, the stools are almost entirely in the sun for most of the day.

We were on Silhouette in March 2022, and the sun was such an issue that the bar servers needed to wear “sleeves” in order to help reduce the potential burning  to their arms.

Anthony was one of the bar servers when we were there, and he introduced me to Brugal 1888 rum, something that was unavailable elsewhere on the ship. Somehow, the sun exposure was less of an issue.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Jim

we were on in October and there were 4 stools at the bar. There are also seats and tables across from the bar which are set up for food and the are some shade areas there. From memory the food is now produced from the Mast Grill rather than hauling it up from Luminae as they were doing in March 2020 after the refit.

The means that they now serve fries rather than crisp, which used to fly off your plate and leave oily marks on the newly finished deck. We uses it a number of times and it was good for a light lunch.

Thanks... I guess I go brain dead.   I'm a big walker and part of my route is full forward around the front of Retreat and then full aft around the Lawn Club.   

Interesting to hear they are serving from the Mast Grill.   Do they serve the Mast Grill Burgers or the Luminae burger - cooked at the Mast Grill. 

2 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

The difficulty with the bar on the Retreat Sundeck is, the stools are almost entirely in the sun for most of the day.

We were on Silhouette in March 2022, and the sun was such an issue that the bar servers needed to wear “sleeves” in order to help reduce the potential burning  to their arms.

Anthony was one of the bar servers when we were there, and he introduced me to Brugal 1888 rum, something that was unavailable elsewhere on the ship. Somehow, the sun exposure was less of an issue.

Randy

Know Anthony.   When on Silhouette in April there were 2 Anthony's -  One in Retreat and one at the Retreat Bar.   Curious if Anthony was wearing the sleeve due to the sun or a Tattoo.  Celebrity requires tattoos on arms to be covered with a sleeve.    I seem to remember him wearing one and we were on a rather chilly TA crossing.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Know Anthony.   When on Silhouette in April there were 2 Anthony's -  One in Retreat and one at the Retreat Bar.   Curious if Anthony was wearing the sleeve due to the sun or a Tattoo.  Celebrity requires tattoos on arms to be covered with a sleeve.    I seem to remember him wearing one and we were on a rather chilly TA crossing.

Retreat Anthony told us he was wearing the sleeves because of the exposure to the sun. I remember the 2 Retreat Concierges (Javier and Edrilyn) used 2 of the stools at the bar in the Retreat to do their paperwork, as they had no work area in the Lounge. We felt for them as well. 

Randy

13 minutes ago, Project_gal said:

Thanks for the further responses. It sounds attractive. We often enjoy the Mast Grill Hot Dogs for lunch and being able to get them from the Retreat Sun Deck is positive.

Sue,

Whilst the choice is quite limited we did enjoy. We ordered a few different things and then shared. Just make sure you sit in a sheltered spot I remember our Caesar salad flying away!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks... I guess I go brain dead.   I'm a big walker and part of my route is full forward around the front of Retreat and then full aft around the Lawn Club.   

Interesting to hear they are serving from the Mast Grill.   Do they serve the Mast Grill Burgers or the Luminae burger - cooked at the Mast Grill. 

It is on the menu as the Luminae burger and it looks like what you get in the restaurant.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 12:50 AM, Jim_Iain said:

It is on the menu as the Luminae burger and it looks like what you get in the restaurant.