R8 Goes to Princess

ECCruise

What great news? Many were looking forward to Oceania going to Australia and New Zealand. If this delays that trip we will look at doing that on another line and it sure wouldn't be Princess.

We just returned from a cruise on the Regatta. One of the officers on board told us that ship #4 is going to be built and will have a capacity of 1200 passengers. I wasn't thrilled to hear that they were planning on building a ship almost twice the size of the rest of the fleet. According to him, it should be ready in about two years. Has anyone else heard about this?

Joan

I like the former R ships which is why I'm giving Oceania a try. I also like Princess. This way I can sail on the size ship I like to the exotic/small/obscure ports for a lot less money than Oceania charges. Woo hoo!

Strange isn't it?

When I said Princess wouldn't give up either Tahitian Princess or Pacific Princess, and that Oceania would build a new 1200PAX ship, everyone said I was nuts, even if World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society said the same thing.

Interesting world we live in.

• 4 weeks later...

R8 going to Princess means the likely end of Swan Hellenic, which is a shame. We sailed with SH last year, and it was great. We were inspired to try Oceania because we liked the R class ship so much. Right now R8 is Minerva II, which will sail as Minerva II until March 2007, when she gets refurbished. Offically Carnival (which owns Princess, Cunard and Swan Hellenic) is not announcing what will happen with the SH franchise. But since SH has only one ship, it is pretty easy to guess.

I just read that the new CEO of Cunard is from SH, and that also sounds like a death knell for Swan.

All good things have to come to an end, but I hate to see everything in the world Americanized. One of the joys of sailing with SH was that it represented a totally Brittish experience. We Americans were a very small minority on board; meals were always fascinating.

Ah, progress! :(

• 2 weeks later...
The R8 goes to Princess and takes a great name (Royal Princess). Details

HI THERE

MY HUBBY AND I ARE ALREADY BOOKED ON THE ROYAL PRINCESS CRUISE, SAILING JUNE 1, 2007

WE DO HAVE 3 OTHER CRUISES BOOKED BEFORE THAT ONE THO. HUBBY & I ARE ADVID CRUISERS. WE HAVE JUST FINISHED CRUISE #43

TAKE CARE & HAPPY SAILING

MYRA

R8 going to Princess means the likely end of Swan Hellenic, which is a shame. We sailed with SH last year, and it was great. We were inspired to try Oceania because we liked the R class ship so much. Right now R8 is Minerva II, which will sail as Minerva II until March 2007, when she gets refurbished. Offically Carnival (which owns Princess, Cunard and Swan Hellenic) is not announcing what will happen with the SH franchise. But since SH has only one ship, it is pretty easy to guess.

I just read that the new CEO of Cunard is from SH, and that also sounds like a death knell for Swan.

All good things have to come to an end, but I hate to see everything in the world Americanized. One of the joys of sailing with SH was that it represented a totally Brittish experience. We Americans were a very small minority on board; meals were always fascinating.

Ah, progress! :(

http://www.swanhellenic.com/virtualtour.asp

What great news? Many were looking forward to Oceania going to Australia and New Zealand. If this delays that trip we will look at doing that on another line and it sure wouldn't be Princess.

We just booked Holland America's Statendam for Australia/New Zealand - departing 12/22/06 from Auckland. We had really hoped that "ship #4" would be in service by 2008 so we could take an "O" cruise, but that doesn't look like it's in the cards.

We've never sailed Holland America; I hear mixed reviews, but at least the ship size is OK - 1200+ pax. We're not looking forward to formal nights and assigned seat dining, but we'll survive:rolleyes:

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Druke I

I'd love to "spill the beans", but its a bit early.

Things are moving along well on all fronts.

Thanks for your enthusiasm and interest, but please, just a little more patience.

Thanks

FDR

Archived