All your P&O dress code comments and queries.

jomf

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Just two observations.

One - it’s perfectly possible to take pride in one’s appearance without dressing up. Indeed, on cruises I’ve seen many elderly gentlemen wearing formal dress that has definitely seen better days and where the fit is very suspect. Not much pride involved, or just oblivious to their overall appearance. Doesn’t bother me at all. Other people’s dress doesn’t impact my cruise experience one bit. 
Two - following from the above, ‘making an effort’ doesn’t just equate to formal wear. I always make an effort, and believe me, as I get older it takes more of an effort to look good! However, I prefer to ‘dodge’ formal evenings on P&O and enjoy myself just as much as any other night. I still look better than many folk in formal wear. So P&O does give us what we want, and we do follow the dress code and therefore only visit some venues on formal night. Why that should spoil things for others is beyond me. 

You rather mIss the point @Ardennais, it is the people who try to use the formal venues whilst not observing the dress code who spoil things. Those like you who prefer not to dress formally and avoid venues that require formal dress, are following the rules.

I am quite happy to do either,  but if I want to use the MDR or the formal bars, then I dress accordingly. If and when  P&O change the dress code rules to allow smart casual in all venues, only then would I happily wear  either.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You rather mIss the point @Ardennais, it is the people who try to use the formal venues whilst not observing the dress code who spoil things. Those like you who prefer not to dress formally and avoid venues that require formal dress, are following the rules.

I am quite happy to do either,  but if I want to use the MDR or the formal bars, then I dress accordingly. If and when  P&O change the dress code rules to allow smart casual in all venues, only then would I happily wear  either.

Not really. I just hate this idea that formal = smart or that formal = making an effort/taking pride in one’s appearance. There’s no effort involved in packing an old crusty DJ which has seen better days or squeezing into a so-called smart dress bought for a wedding a few years ago and which is now obviously too small! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Not really. I just hate this idea that formal = smart or that formal = making an effort/taking pride in one’s appearance. There’s no effort involved in packing an old crusty DJ which has seen better days or squeezing into a so-called smart dress bought for a wedding a few years ago and which is now obviously too small! 

Don't forget the gravy stains!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

You do seem to look for the worst in your fellow passengers, if you only notice too tight dresses and stained tuxedos.

I like to see the families with young children who are looking smart in what used to be called Sunday Best, all enjoying a special occasion.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You do seem to look for the worst in your fellow passengers, if you only notice too tight dresses and stained tuxedos.

I like to see the families with young children who are looking smart in what used to be called Sunday Best, all enjoying a special occasion.

I love to see the families with young kids all togged up in their finery ,which I'm sure

is not some leftovers from auntie Deb's wedding .

If a certain venue requires me to dress up then I do so,if not it's put my smart evening

wear on and go elsewhere .No hardship either way.

What is my gripe regardless of dress ,thankfully far and few between is the folks who

smell like an old racoon as the decide to dress up but not bother having a shower, just 

chuck glad rags on whilst smelling of stale sweat and sun cream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

To be honest, other people’s choice of clothing doesn’t affect my enjoyment one way or another. I love seeing families with young children, no matter what they’re wearing. I’m one of the greatest advocates for family friendly cruising here. On the whole, younger men have cleaner, better fitting suits! 

I really don’t look for the worst in my fellow passengers. Have I ever complained about falling standards of dress? Or moaned that people don’t make an effort? It really doesn’t bother even if it were true. Live and let live. If folk think that they’re smart in their formal wear, so be it, but they shouldn’t accuse others of not making an effort just because they don’t fit with their idea of formal wear. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kalos said:

I love to see the families with young kids all togged up in their finery ,which I'm sure

If a certain venue requires me to dress up then I do so,if not it's put my smart evening

What is my gripe regardless of dress ,thankfully far and few between is the folks who

smell like an old racoon as the decide to dress up but not bother having a shower, just 

Me too. And it’s not families with young kids who tend to get old stuff out of the wardrobe is it! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kalos said:

On one of our early cruises my OH whispered to me that the man sitting next to her smelt of mothballs, most likely is ancient looking Dinner Suit and wasn’t using Eau de Mothballs after shave. 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Once this subject rears it's head ...again, I am reminded of Sir Leslie Patterson..🤣....I do hope Harry is OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kalos said:

We ate in the MDR on Anthem last night. A very smart and sophisticated 5 year old in her party dress was given a proper menu by the waiter. She moved her cutlery and studied the menu intently,  tongue sticking out of the side of her mouth. She waved her hand across the page......Mummy, what does all this say...bless.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2