Select vs traditional dining in MDR

HeyImOnABoat

What are the pros and cons of picking a traditional 6pm dining time vs. simply making reservations in advance for 6pm each and every night? (which is available)

Any reason to do one vs the other in the MDR? Is deck 3 vs 4 "better" a place to sit? Is the service faster when its more staggered across tables in the select area?

With traditional, the primary "con" is that you are expected only at the given time.  If you need, or want, flexibility fixed dining is not for you.  The pros are that you will have the same tale, and same staff each night, which generally results in a better and more consistent dining experience, as the wait staff gets to know your preferences.  If anything the service is more smooth at the fixed dining times, as all tables are more or less at the same point, so all tables in that dining room are at about the same point in the meal service; while in select you may be on appetizers, while the waiter's other tables may be on main course, and dessert.  You can imagine this somewhat complicates their job.

We have shifted to the select dining, over time; as the flexibility works out well for us.  However, the occasional waits to be seated at busy times, and the potential for having different waiters each night are definitely negatives. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeyImOnABoat said:

What are the pros and cons of picking a traditional 6pm dining time vs. simply making reservations in advance for 6pm each and every night? (which is available)

Any reason to do one vs the other in the MDR? Is deck 3 vs 4 "better" a place to sit? Is the service faster when its more staggered across tables in the select area?

Select for us every time. Pre booked for 6.30. Time allowed for the meal is the same - 2 hours. If you arrive at the same time each night you can request to be with the same waiter - not guaranteed but the Host/Hostess will usually manage to oblige. We always share  - table of 6 preferred which is what we request when we "check in". For us sharing tables  is  one of the joys of cruising.  If you have a particularly difficult passenger(s) and you would prefer not to share with them again a quiet word with the Host/Hostess usually solves the problem - be prepared to tell them why as this helps them "pre empt the issue for other passengers. 

On the cruise we are debating on booking, we noticed the early dining time is already unavailable (even though it is 10 months away).  Anyone had experience getting changed to it later or is it easy to do select dining and show up early?  We obviously prefer the early dining.  

13 hours ago, HeyImOnABoat said:

Depends on the class of ship. We have early (6:PM) SD on our March Apex cruise.

14 minutes ago, wildcats40 said:

On the cruise we are debating on booking, we noticed the early dining time is already unavailable (even though it is 10 months away).  Anyone had experience getting changed to it later or is it easy to do select dining and show up early?  We obviously prefer the early dining.  

You might be able to get switched via a waitlist.  If that does not work or is not available, you can try talking to the Maitre d' once you board.  In the meantime, get as close as you can to what you want and hope for the best.

Yes, you can try showing up whenever you like, but there's no guarantee they will seat you when you show up.  They'll do it as they are able.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildcats40 said:

Never had a problem in arranging our preferred dining time on board.   We simply go to the MDR and they get it sorted - usually immediately/occasionally took till the 2nd night.

• Thanks 2

The first cruise I ever took in my life was the on the Equinox last summer, I really enjoyed the traditional dining.  On my Apex cruise later in the summer, I really didn't enjoy the 4 MDR concept. I understand folks liking the flexibility, the new concept is more like a restaurant--but in a land-based restaurant the tables are far enough apart to enjoy your meal no matter what time you arrive.  On the Apex, the tables being so close together (making it easy to chat with others if you are all arriving at the same time) didn't work for having a table of 8 behind me one course behind, and tables on either side of me one course ahead.  I might not have minded so much if I had had a dinner partner, but traveling solo and squeezed in there with everyone having a different talk with their waiter made it hard to enjoy my meal.

Just my two cents--I'd enjoy the "any time" concept a lot more if the tables were the same distance apart they'd be on land.

That said--I never went to the "any time" dining room on a separate deck on the Equinox--on those ships does the "any time" dining room have the tables farther apart?

Edited by Random Cruizer
  • Like 1

Does select dining require a reservation, or is that just to make it a shorter wait time when you arrive? Does anyone have a general idea of the wait times for walk-ins? We are on the Eclipse in May and haven't made reservations yet for main dining. Looks like we are doing that tonight lol

1 hour ago, sgtjjmayle said:

Does select dining require a reservation, or is that just to make it a shorter wait time when you arrive? Does anyone have a general idea of the wait times for walk-ins? We are on the Eclipse in May and haven't made reservations yet for main dining. Looks like we are doing that tonight lol

Not compolsary but for us it makes life a lot easier.

We always prebook for every evening. How long you will have to wait on any given night is impossible to answer. It's like any restaurant if a lot of people turn up at the same time there will be lines. Always quicker if you are prepared to share - we always do as for us  it's one of the joys of cruising.