Music in Martinis on Insignia

deck chair

Hello.   Just returned from a 20 day cruise on SIrena.  I was surprised and very disappointed that there was NO live piano music in Martinis from 7-10:15 night after night.  Totally dead.  I could never get a straight answer as to why that was the case.  I wonder if that was due to special circumstances, a decision made by the cruise director or a company wide policy.  I booked a 40 day cruise on the Insignia for next January from LA to Sydney.  Not sure if I will go through with it if it is going to be the same way.  I may just take the Queen Mary to Australia.  No way Cunard Line would allow such a dead zone in one of their lounges especially the Chart Room.  Does anyone know? Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Deck Chair.

We're currently sailing on Insignia, and have been onboard since January 15th. For the first 24 day segment, Martinis had Barry from Boston as the piano player. He had  2000 selections in his songbook in every genre.  For this 24 day segment, Carlos (I believe that he's from Portugal) is the piano player. He has a much different style, but both piano players have been very talented, and I have enjoyed them both. I hope this current information helps you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meg1021 said:

We're currently sailing on Insignia, and have been onboard since January 15th. For the first 24 day segment, Martinis had Barry from Boston as the piano player. He had  2000 selections in his songbook in every genre.  For this 24 day segment, Carlos (I believe that he's from Portugal) is the piano player. He has a much different style, but both piano players have been very talented, and I have enjoyed them both. I hope this current information helps you.

Thank you.  Good to know.  I am mostly interested in the hours the pianists perform in Martinis.  IS it dead from 7-10:15 as it was on Sirena?  Thanks again.

Deck Chair.

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

Thank you.  Good to know.  I am mostly interested in the hours the pianists perform in Martinis.  IS it dead from 7-10:15 as it was on Sirena?  Thanks again.

Deck Chair.

I just checked my Sept. 2022 Regatta Currents for music during dinner hours. During dinner hours there was nothing in Martinis (usually piano before dinner and late evening). The strings played during dinner in their usual spot, and occasionally a band played in Horizons for dancing (sometimes before dinner, sometimes during early dinner hours).

In my recall it seems the pianist performs during Happy Hour, then takes off during dining hours. I guess this doesn't really fit your idea of what needs to happen during this time. Oceania may not be the best fit for you. 

Carlos, the pianist on Insignia, is on in Martinis b/w 6:00-6:45 / 8:00-8:45 / and 10:00-11:15. The quartet is playing in the upper hall from 7:45 to 9:15 (in two shifts); and then there is the show in the Insignia Lounge from 9:30 to 10:15. 

Whether this will be the case on your cruise I cannot say.

Edited by 2552phxcrzr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

Carlos, the pianist on Insignia, is on in Martinis b/w 6:00-6:45 / 8:00-8:45 / and 10:00-11:15. The quartet is playing in the upper hall from 7:45 to 9:15 (in two shifts); and then there is the show in the Insignia Lounge from 9:30 to 10:15. 

Whether this will be the case on your cruise I cannot say.

This  is usually the way it works on Oceania

There was a time that the piano  player & the quartet were playing at the same time  on the R ships  which  really was annoying  as they  are not that far apart  in locations

• Like 1

Typically, in Martinis, during the questioned time, the CD ( or ass’t CD) takes over and does an evening trivia game. This is popular with some and an abuse of the bar area by others. Either way, you’re not getting music during that time frame in the bar. I find it unfortunate that if one chooses to dine 7:00 and later, Oceania effectively shuts down entertainment in both Martinis and Horizons.

Edited by pinotlover

45 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Typically, in Martinis, during the questioned time, the CD ( or ass’t CD) takes over and does an evening trivia game. This is popular with some and an abuse of the bar area by others. Either way, you’re not getting music during that time frame in the bar. I find it unfortunate that if one chooses to dine 7:00 and later, Oceania effectively shuts down entertainment in both Martinis and Horizons.

Yes you have to suffer through the quartet in the hall    off & on between 6-9pm

but I do not think Trivia runs  more than 45 mins at best

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes you have to suffer through the quartet in the hall    off & on between 6-9pm

but I do not think Trivia runs  more than 45 mins at best

What does the hallway have to do with Martinis or Horizons, of which I limited my comment? The quartet is great, but it’s not bar music. 

12 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

What does the hallway have to do with Martinis or Horizons, of which I limited my comment? The quartet is great, but it’s not bar music. 

just  saying the quartet is all  that is happening   at those times

Sometimes  we have had the piano  guy  but  it is usually off & on  during those hours

We enjoy going to Horizons for Happy Hour, and especially when sail away is during daylight hours. Enjoyed multiple sail aways from that venue. I’ve never understood the band abruptly quitting at 6:00 and walking out. Just playing to 7:00 would be a huge improvement, imo. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The evening trivia game, “brainteaser’s”, is held most evenings on the Insignia by a rotating member of the entertainment staff up in the Horizon Lounge at 8:30 PM.  Also, on many nights the show band and singers will do a late night set after the show at 10:30 PM.

6 hours ago, bob brown said:

One thing I miss that we had during the 2019 ATW cruise, was  a team “guess the song” contest in Martini’s conducted by the pianist, also for “Big ‘O’ points”…🙁

The pianist on Riviera in December 2021 did this game, so maybe it depends on the current pianist. I hope you get lucky next time!

• Thanks 1