How to silence the loud beep?

SempreMare

Has anyone figured out how to silence the loud beep you hear when turning on the bathroom light in a Viking Ocean stateroom ? 

My workaround on my first Viking cruise (PJS room 7000) was to use the light as little as possible at night right before bed or during the night if I woke up to use the bathroom.  The loud beep would 'wake me up' too much.  

I did ask the room steward to turn off the beep, but he could not.  I believe he called maintenance also.

Keeping the bathroom door fully shut, then turning on the light before opening the door muffled it some.   

What is the point of that loud beep?  

Just now, SempreMare said:

Viking Mars , Sept 2022 British Isles Explorer

That's a puzzle.  One of the newer ships but I have not heard any beep turning on any lights.  I would be annoyed too.  Ask the General Manager about it if onboard.

I remember thinking at one point,

"Surely someone on Cruise Critic would have posted a complaint about this already"

if it happened in every room on every ship.

I do have really good hearing.   I figured maybe others didn't notice it as much.

The steward thought it might have something to do with the heated towel rack being on. 

I unplugged it.  No change.   

Then, ironically, the day  after I plugged it back in, I accidentally contacted the wonderfully very hot towel rack for too long (when keeping the light OFF) and had a mild burn spot on my hand for a couple days.

18 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Ask the General Manager about it if onboard.

Good idea.  Their picture will be on that photo frame of all the officers on deck... 2 ? 

I considered disabling the speaker in the bathroom ceiling, but that seemed like a step too far.  (safety wise)

I'll be on the Viking Jupiter next. 

Has anyone in a PJS on the Viking Jupiter experienced the bathroom light turn-on-BEEP

Edited by SempreMare

42 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Has anyone figured out how to silence the loud beep you hear when turning on the bathroom light in a Viking Ocean stateroom ? 

My workaround on my first Viking cruise (PJS room 7000) was to use the light as little as possible at night right before bed or during the night if I woke up to use the bathroom.  The loud beep would 'wake me up' too much.  

I did ask the room steward to turn off the beep, but he could not.  I believe he called maintenance also.

Keeping the bathroom door fully shut, then turning on the light before opening the door muffled it some.   

What is the point of that loud beep?  

Thar doesn’t sound normal.  However, we always travel with a mini flashlight and use that if we have to get up in the night… not so bright and it doesn’t wake us up as much.

• Like 1

No beep on Venus, but we switched the floor heating off if that made a difference. 

Also have never heard beeps on other ships. The only beeps were the ship wide announcement bing bongs and the general emergency crew drills

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dd57 said:

No heated towel bars in a PV, so maybe it's that?

Unplugging the towel bar did not change the beep, so probably no relationship

The response from my room stewards made me conclude the beep was normal and could not be disabled.  

11 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

It's from "cathead", which are timbers projecting out sideways from the bow of the ship, used to support lateral rigging for the bowsprit.  The sailors would climb out on the cathead, until they were over the water, then sit with their feet on one side of the cathead, and their arse on the other, and do their business directly into the sea.  Over time, cathead was shortened to "going to the "head".

• Like 4

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It's from "cathead", which are timbers projecting out sideways from the bow of the ship, used to support lateral rigging for the bowsprit.  The sailors would climb out on the cathead, until they were over the water, then sit with their feet on one side of the cathead, and their arse on the other, and do their business directly into the sea.  Over time, cathead was shortened to "going to the "head".

Next up: Scuttlebutt.

• Haha 1