Live(ish) from Reflection 2/26 - 3/5/2023

DCPIV

Today is a sea day, and it's been a very lazy one so far. There's something mighty special about truly having nothing to do except eat good food and chime in on here. 

Last night was just a bunch of carousing. We chatted with a bunch of fun folks, enjoyed a marvelous dinner in Luminae, and bar-hopped a bit. A good and fun night. 

As for the rest of the day, well, I suppose we'll just default to the "eat, drink, and be merry" agenda. Heaven knows I've slept enough. 

Cheers! 

• Like 5

Another quick update. I recall a thread somewhere asking about what tea was on board. It's Tea Forté, at least in Café al Bacio. 

20230228_130959.thumb.jpg.dc5667e4afda6a63e5267b50e8c79094.jpg

Speaking of Café al Bacio, the vibe up here at the moment is nothing short of fantastic. It's lively but not crowded. They're playing some disco downstairs at a nearly perfect level. The two ladies sitting next to us were so excited about the pastries that we just had to get some lemon tartlets with our coffee, and let me tell you that was NOT a mistake. 

20230228_131422.thumb.jpg.6005f0ab0aca96c819ca84278e85e8f0.jpg

Delicious. 

Everyone on board seems to be in great spirits and having a good time. It feels like the most relaxed atmosphere I've seen in a cruise ship since the restart (and this is my 11th cruise since the restart). Folks aren't walking on eggshells anymore. 

The "Winemaker for a Day" was a very good time yesterday. It wasn't quite as much fun as it was when we did it about 5 years ago but that would have been a nearly impossible feat. We were the only ones there all day that time. It was sold out this time (although two didn't show up).  

Now, one of the great things about having more folks there is that you get a chance to meet good people, and we did just that as a matter of fact. We met a very fun couple who also happen to be on board (one of whom chimed in here yesterday 👋).  There's nothing like good company. Good company makes bad times good, makes good times great, and makes great times the stuff of stories you'll tell for the rest on your life. We'll be talking about yesterday for a good while. 

Cheers! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Another quick update. I recall a thread somewhere asking about what tea was on board. It's Tea Forté, at least in Café al Bacio. 

20230228_130959.thumb.jpg.dc5667e4afda6a63e5267b50e8c79094.jpg

Speaking of Café al Bacio, the vibe up here at the moment is nothing short of fantastic. It's lively but not crowded. They're playing some disco downstairs at a nearly perfect level. The two ladies sitting next to us were so excited about the pastries that we just had to get some lemon tartlets with our coffee, and let me tell you that was NOT a mistake. 

20230228_131422.thumb.jpg.6005f0ab0aca96c819ca84278e85e8f0.jpg

Delicious. 

Everyone on board seems to be in great spirits and having a good time. It feels like the most relaxed atmosphere I've seen in a cruise ship since the restart (and this is my 11th cruise since the restart). Folks aren't walking on eggshells anymore. 

The "Winemaker for a Day" was a very good time yesterday. It wasn't quite as much fun as it was when we did it about 5 years ago but that would have been a nearly impossible feat. We were the only ones there all day that time. It was sold out this time (although two didn't show up).  

Now, one of the great things about having more folks there is that you get a chance to meet good people, and we did just that as a matter of fact. We met a very fun couple who also happen to be on board (one of whom chimed in here yesterday 👋).  There's nothing like good company. Good company makes bad times good, makes good times great, and makes great times the stuff of stories you'll tell for the rest on your life. We'll be talking about yesterday for a good while. 

Cheers! 

Keep the vibe going until we board on Sunday. The Beyond today is fantastic too. On the Magic Carpet all afternoon so no Al Bacio, but LOVE the lemon tarts! 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 39august said:

Please elaborate on Winemaker for a Day. Never heard of it. 

Alright. Winemaker for a Day is fairly simple and pretty fun. You get 5 wine samples and create your own blend. You then get to bottle your blend and take it home. It's at Bahama Barrels, the winery at the Greycliff hotel. 

When we did it back in 2018, right after they started, we got to play with 5 single varietals (3 red and 2 white). This time, everything was already a blend, so we were blending blends. That's not quite as fun and interesting, but it's still a good time, and I recommend it. 

Another thing different from before is that the winemaker asked everyone if they preferred sweeter or drier wines and tailored the samples accordingly. 

• Like 1

The rest of yesterday was pretty nice and largely low key.

We went to the mixology class at the World Class Bar. While we did enjoy it, it could have been much better. Basically, Joe talked for about an hour and a half. There was very little opportunity for guest participation. One guest got to shake one cocktail for a moment, and that was about it. The rest of it was Joe describing the tools of the trade and some points of cocktail philosophy. And, of course, there were drinks. 

We got a cocktail about 30 minutes in and then samples of 5 others. Now, Joe is a very personable guy, and the drinks were tasty, so most of us had a good time. A couple folks did leave. To be honest, I considered it for a moment. I'm glad I didn't as I learned a few things and tried some cocktails that I did not expect to enjoy. We all would have enjoyed more participation, and I think it would have worked better if the drinks were flowing during the lecture. 

Today was super low key. We skipped our on our tour in favor of a lazy morning. We never were all that excited about the tour, so bed and balcony won out. The MSC Seascape has been kind enough to play steel drums much of the morning. They are docked fat enough away that is actually a pleasant volume. 

A crew drill has provided a bit of excitement. 

Later on, we have the option of a helipad sail away and the Music and Mixology event. 

• Like 2

A couple other bits of news I keep forgetting to mention. 

First, the good pens are back in the Retreat! Hooray! I love those pens. 

Unfortunately, though, Zacapa rum no longer is in the World Class Bar. Apparently, Diageo has some new rum they are trying to tout, and that has bumped out the Zacapa. I haven't tried it, and I don't recall the name at the moment, but I'll get the low down. 

Lunch is at Sushi on 5, and all is well (other than the Zacapa thing).

20230301_123805.thumb.jpg.d72a3b97d69643a33036ebab73177e8d.jpg

• Like 3

Another thing I keep forgetting to mention was a pleasant surprise upon returning to the ship in Nassau. We were all ready to hand over the wine we had just blended and bottled, but they didn't take it. They knew it was wine because they asked and we said it was, but the security guy just ran it through the x-ray, and that was that. 

The only thing we can figure is that they just don't get wound up if you're coming back with a little wine just like a if you were boarding in the first place. I imagine it would have been different if we were coming back with liquor. 

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Oh, no! No zacapa! I love the zacapa old fashioned. It's the best drink I have ever had. I would love to hear what you think about the replacement rum...if you try it. 

I'll make a point to try it. I very much enjoyed the smoked Zacapa. 

45 minutes ago, PKB said:

We are in a celebrity suite on Reflection with you. Will look for you in Luminae and Michael’s club

We look forward to meeting! 

Yesterday was our typical afternoon, evening, and night aboard. Barhopping, conversation, and dinner. 

We started at the Sunset Bar. We found a shady spot at the bar, and the weather was perfect. We were there until DW went down to the helipad sailaway where she met @PKB. I stuck around to enjoy the music and weather. However, right after DW left, the music guy very loud and bass-heavy, and the bar became something of a zoo. 

I bailed and found myself at the Martini Bar (go figure) where DW rejoined me. We met and chatted with Bill, a fellow who pretty much lives on Celebrity ships. After that, we met Jan and Dean, a couple from Phoenix. Yep, Jan and Dean. 😀

Dinner was lovely, as always, and so was our time at World Class Bar afterwards. 

I did try the new rum. The new rum Old Fashioned is made with Bumbu, a banana flavored rum that many enjoy but that isn't my thing. There's another one, though, that's very nice! I've already forgotten the name. 🤣

• Like 2

Well, it's been a quiet morning here, in Lake Reflection, out on the edge of the Caribbean.

It really is quiet. Other than a tender coming by now and then, there's little more than a low hum from the island, some quiet conversation from the neighbors, and the occasional light splash from DW in the balcony tub. 

Tendering seems to be going fine. At least, that's a far as I can tell from our balcony. The two most recent boats looked pretty full, and I hear announcements. They are leaving about every 10-15 minutes.  If there is any problem, it's not due to wind or sea conditions. 

20230302_092547.thumb.jpg.bfd2b8429f46dc8be53f4173b6068192.jpg

As anticipated, only the pool bar is open. Between the six beers, four bottles of wine, and two liters of liquor we have in the room, I bet we'll be fine. 

Weather is very nice if a bit overcast. The only thing on my agenda is a massage after lunch. 

So, that's the news from Lake Reflection, where the women are strong, the men are good-looking, and all the bartenders are above average. 

Edited by DCPIV
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, DCPIV said:

A couple other bits of news I keep forgetting to mention. 

First, the good pens are back in the Retreat! Hooray! I love those pens. 

Unfortunately, though, Zacapa rum no longer is in the World Class Bar. Apparently, Diageo has some new rum they are trying to tout, and that has bumped out the Zacapa. I haven't tried it, and I don't recall the name at the moment, but I'll get the low down. 

Lunch is at Sushi on 5, and all is well (other than the Zacapa thing).

20230301_123805.thumb.jpg.d72a3b97d69643a33036ebab73177e8d.jpg

Can you maybe find out the alternative rum offered?  Many of us are huge fans of the Zacapa Old Fashioned.  Just a few weeks ago on Equinox they were still offering it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Can you maybe find out the alternative rum offered?  Many of us are huge fans of the Zacapa Old Fashioned.  Just a few weeks ago on Equinox they were still offering it.

I'm sure I'll have another dram of it. 

According to the bartender, Zacapa and Diageo have ended their relationship. 

17 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Well, it's been a quiet morning here, in Lake Reflection, out on the edge of the Caribbean.

It really is quiet. Other than a tender coming by now and then, there's little more than a low hum from the island, some quiet conversation from the neighbors, and the occasional light splash from DW in the balcony tub. 

Tendering seems to be going fine. At least, that's a far as I can tell from our balcony. The two most recent boats looked pretty full, and I hear announcements. They are leaving about every 10-15 minutes.  If there is any problem, it's not due to wind or sea conditions. 

20230302_092547.thumb.jpg.bfd2b8429f46dc8be53f4173b6068192.jpg

As anticipated, only the pool bar is open. Between the six beers, four bottles of wine, and two liters of liquor we have in the room, I bet we'll be fine. 

Weather is very nice if a bit overcast. The only thing on my agenda is a massage after lunch. 

So, that's the news from Lake Reflection, where the women are strong, the men are good-looking, and all the bartenders are above average. 

Any idea where they are dropping people off once you hit land? 

Thanks

Cheers!! 

5 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I'm sure I'll have another dram of it. 

According to the bartender, Zacapa and Diageo have ended their relationship. 

Zacapa has been distributed and marketed by Diageo.  Maybe that agreement ended.  Unfortunate.  Diageo owns Captain Morgan - not a good replacement for Zacapa.  They also just announced a new agreement with Don Papa rum (Philippines).

4 minutes ago, countess5 said:

Any idea where they are dropping people off once you hit land? 

Nope. I cannot see the pier from my balcony, and that's a far as I've travelled this morning. 😀

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

They also just announced a new agreement with Don Papa rum (Philippines).

Don Papa might be the one, but I'll check. It was good. 

Just a quick bit of news before I head in for my massage.

First, they opened the bar at Secondo Bacio at lunch. Even the bartenders were surprised. 

Another pleasant surprise was finding my spa appointment in my daily planner. 

Screenshot_20230302_122231_Celebrity.thumb.jpg.85d9e47b46c2d012ed25ac9deceee20d.jpg

I don't know if that's new or if it just took me this long to notice it. Either way, I like it. 

Cheers! 

59 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

A few weeks ago they told us that they were working to get Spa appointments to show in the Celebrity app in the calendar.  Glad it is there now.

The big surprise was that it wasn't in my calendar but in the daily planner. That doesn't make it very easy to find, but it's still an improvement.