Roatan Excursions

Is there a way to see the excursions for a port before you book a cruise?  We are looking at a Harmony cruise with the grandkids next year and it stops in Roatan.  They want to go to the Monkey/ Sloth preserve.

I was trying to find out the minimum (and I guess max) ages for those excursions. 

Thank you 

2 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Is there a way to see the excursions for a port before you book a cruise?  We are looking at a Harmony cruise with the grandkids next year and it stops in Roatan.  They want to go to the Monkey/ Sloth preserve.

I was trying to find out the minimum (and I guess max) ages for those excursions. 

Thank you 

There is a monkey/sloth exhibit at the port.  Go left out of the gate and the road turns,  keep walking straight up the hill and its right there.  A nice local restaurant with a great view too.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Thank you 

I don't see a min or max for that tour (in fact, it lists under 4 are free).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, resetjet said:

There is a monkey/sloth exhibit at the port.  Go left out of the gate and the road turns,  keep walking straight up the hill and its right there.  A nice local restaurant with a great view too.  

Do you know the name for the monkey/sloth place?  I'm trying to find it on google maps.  We know where Captain Jack's is and have been there several times for good food and drinks.

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Thank you 

From my cruise planner... The only restriction is for people over 300#

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 8.07.59 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Thank you 

I'm on Oasis leaving Sunday so am locked out of full access to book excursions,  but "Easy Roatan Monkey, Sloth, and Iguana Interaction" does not show any age restrictions. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Do you know the name for the monkey/sloth place?  I'm trying to find it on google maps.  We know where Captain Jack's is and have been there several times for good food and drinks.

Its at jungle top zipline.  They have that too.  Its a very local place.  It was fun, they have a very cute sloth.  They have about 6 or 8 cages, and you get to go in and interact with the animals.  It relatively inexpensive and easy.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, resetjet said:

Its at jungle top zipline.  They have that too.  Its a very local place.  It was fun, they have a very cute sloth.  They have about 6 or 8 cages, and you get to go in and interact with the animals.  It relatively inexpensive and easy.  

Thank you!

There are a number of sloth and monkey places on Roatan these days. Daniels Monkey and Sloth Hangout, on the east side past French harbor, used to be the premier sloth venue.  You can look at booking with them directly.  Might be cheaper.

Our Excursions - Daniel Johnson's Monkey & Sloth Hangout (monkeyandslothhangout.com)

• Like 2

I know many people are against them, but we love dolphin encounter Anthony Key it also a resort , you walk out in waist deep water and dolphins come to you , they also do dolphin research. By far the best we ever went to , have done it many times.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, resetjet said:

I was on a 7 nighter out of Tampa on Serenade in November 2022.  A family I spent a day with afterwards in Costa Maya raved about the zipline excursion in Roatan.

11 hours ago, Longford said:

I was on a 7 nighter out of Tampa on Serenade in November 2022.  A family I spent a day with afterwards in Costa Maya raved about the zipline excursion in Roatan.

This is just a local one.  There are tons of ziplines, animal farms etc. that island is driveable as well.  We rented a car one time and saw the whole island.  Another time we hired a driver. 

In addition to the animal parks and ziplining, west bay is very local.  Has some nice beach bars, you can swim and snorkel and it is a nice experience.  Don't confuse this with west end.  That is at the extreme end of the island and is high end resorts.  Its cheap to rent a car and driver and have him take you around.  I would avoid the other end of the island, nothing but ex pat houses, very boring.

Highly recommend Victor Bodden tours.  Private tour but less than ship excursion.  The more people in your group the less per person price.  It includes RT from ship back to port.  We used this tour twice and loved being able to select where and what to do.  Small van with A/C and great tour guide. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTBCruiser said:

Highly recommend Victor Bodden tours.  Private tour but less than ship excursion.  The more people in your group the less per person price.  It includes RT from ship back to port.  We used this tour twice and loved being able to select where and what to do.  Small van with A/C and great tour guide. 

Thanks for the information!  Do you know if its possible to have a tour that goes around the whole island?

1 hour ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

Anyone seen RC excursions that combine snorkeling & sloths?

Not an RC excursion but we did one through viator last year, run by Roatan Getaway Tours. They went to AJs and then the French Cay marine park -ish area for snorkeling. The snorkeling there was easy/beginner - very warm, clear, shallow water, but not too many fish (mostly lobsters and conch). It was really pleasant to float around in, but not the most exciting in terms of what you can see. We really enjoyed the tour company and booked them again this year for a full day private tour that includes a 3 reef snorkel, ziplining, AJs again and the chocolate factory. Their policy is to have you back to the ship 2 hours before departure and they are very responsive if you fill out the form on their site or email them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Thanks for the information!  Do you know if its possible to have a tour that goes around the whole island?

Yes. Go to his website and you will have an opportunity to contact him and ask for details. Again we were very pleased with him and the prices paid. 

5 hours ago, JTBCruiser said:

We used Victor Bodden many many years ago, so glad to see them still recommended. To this day this was my favorite tour of all the ones i’ve done.

On 2/24/2023 at 9:44 AM, Seville2Cabo said:

Thank you 

Check out Victor Bodden-have used them twice. Do have to walk outside and up hill but great experience. Just did Fun in the Sun $30

13 minutes ago, LPut714 said:

Check out Victor Bodden-have used them twice. Do have to walk outside and up hill but great experience. Just did Fun in the Sun $30

Yes! That's the same tour we did with Bodden in January.  Was wonderful! I highly recommend it, too!

Just now, doublej said:

Yes! That's the same tour we did with Bodden in January.  Was wonderful! I highly recommend it, too!

So great to work with immediate response. Might be difficult for someone with mobility issues but they can get a $2 taxi to the meeting point. 

9 hours ago, resetjet said:

This is just a local one.  There are tons of ziplines, animal farms etc. that island is driveable as well.  We rented a car one time and saw the whole island.  Another time we hired a driver. 

This one was the "official" excursion offered via the cruise line.

Edited by Longford