"Live" Sapphire Princess, 32 Days, Buenos Aires to LA, 3/5/23 to 4/6/23

LACruiser88

27 minutes ago, new2cruise said:

Going back to your great idea of hanging magnetic hooks from the ceiling to dry clothes.  What a great idea! I just went on Amazon to look for the hooks, but was overwhelmed by the choices.  I read a lot of reviews that said the weight claims in the description were way off.  Do you happen to remember which hooks you purchased.  (I know it's not likely, but I thought it was worth a try.)

Thank you!

about the weight claims being off:    the weight supported by the hook is when hanging from the ceiling.    If using the hook on the wall, the amount of weight it will hold is much less, because the force can more easily pull the hook off the wall - hope my explanation makes sense 🙂

We, too, love the magnetic hooks.   We hang clothes on hangers from the ceiling to dry, put hooks by the door to hang medallions, hats, sunglasses, masks, etc.

We use regular (non-hook) magnets to stick tickets, notices, even maps to the wall above the desk.

Enjoy,

Mary

• Like 3

Today we were in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands.  We were originally scheduled for this cruise in 2021 and had booked an excursion to Volunteer Point thru Patrick Watts to see the penguins.  We all know what happened to those cruises.

We stayed in contact with Patrick and rescheduled for this cruise.  We are sure glad we did!  Today we had one of the best wildlife excursions we have ever had!  I would highly recommend this excursion, and for those that are coming here in late 2023 and in 2024 the time to book is now as there are very limited numbers that can do this excursion.

Patrick has retired and one of his long-time guides, Shaun Jaffray, has taken over.  Shaun was our guide today and he was FANTASTIC!  You can find all the information regarding this excursion on Shaun's website, AdventureFalklands.com

We had a great day!  🐧🐧🐧

Screenshot_20230311-170407_Chrome.jpg

20230311_124057.jpg

20230311_124120.jpg

20230311_120903.jpg

20230311_122015.jpg

20230311_120011.jpg

20230311_115359.jpg

20230311_124443.jpg

• Like 17

We did that excursion with Patrick in Feb 2020 just as covid was ramping up and before heading down to Antarctica.
That was our last cruise until one coming next month. It was indeed an amazing excursion and one we will never forget. As was the entire voyage for that matter. We worried a bit leading up to the voyage about going so far from off-road and from the port with a non ship excursion and perhaps having trouble or getting stuck etc and missing our ship but was that not an issue.  With so many 4x4’s traveling together it was great knowing there was no need for that concern. 

I have not researched your voyage to see if you’re going to Antarctica as well. I hope you are and enjoy it as much as we did. 

Have a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

We worried a bit leading up to the voyage about going so far from off-road and from the port with a non ship excursion and perhaps having trouble or getting stuck etc and missing our ship but was that not an issue.  With so many 4x4’s traveling together it was great knowing there was no need for that concern. 

The other 4x4s were the ships tour. I did that in 2017 with a Princess shorex, the Patrick Watts people were just with us.Same tour, Princess price. All very well organized from the locals. Driving in a convoy and nobody will be left behind.

But Volunteer Point is indeed priceless. Seeing king penguins in the wild from just 2 m away. You can't top that.

The Sapphire missed Falkland on the sailing before. So be grateful. 👍

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, new2cruise said:

Going back to your great idea of hanging magnetic hooks from the ceiling to dry clothes.  What a great idea! I just went on Amazon to look for the hooks, but was overwhelmed by the choices.  I read a lot of reviews that said the weight claims in the description were way off.  Do you happen to remember which hooks you purchased.  (I know it's not likely, but I thought it was worth a try.)

Thank you!

Just look for any that have Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets. Those are very strong magnets. Something along the lines of these:

Magnets on Amazon

Edited by Thrak

12 hours ago, gottagocit said:

have not researched your voyage to see if you’re going to Antarctica as well. I hope you are and enjoy it as much as we did. 

We are not going to Antarctica on this voyage.  We did that on the Star Princess in 2011, amazing trip!

Btw, we are heading towards the Horn and the ship is a-rockin!

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 3:38 PM, HikaruTsuki said:

Can you tell me if the Plus Package dessert cakes and gelato is being offered on the Sapphire? I've seen them offered at Gelatos on other ships but understand there is no Gelatos on Sapphire. Curious where to find these desserts, or if Sapphire's Plus Package desserts are limited to just the crazy ice cream sundaes. Thanks!

@vickie_bernie Posted the below photo on FB of the dessert cakes she found at the IC.

FB_IMG_1678619728076.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

@vickie_bernie Posted the below photo on FB of the dessert cakes she found at the IC.

FB_IMG_1678619728076.jpg

Thank you!! My husband and I have been no-sugar/low-carb for the last FOUR YEARS, but will allow ourselves to eat whatever we want for this trip (first cruise in five years). He will be VERY happy to know these cakes will be available on the Sapphire! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We are not going to Antarctica on this voyage.  We did that on the Star Princess in 2011, amazing trip!

Btw, we are heading towards the Horn and the ship is a-rockin!

he11 of a night to have dress formal

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Today we were in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands.  We were originally scheduled for this cruise in 2021 and had booked an excursion to Volunteer Point thru Patrick Watts to see the penguins.  We all know what happened to those cruises.

We stayed in contact with Patrick and rescheduled for this cruise.  We are sure glad we did!  Today we had one of the best wildlife excursions we have ever had!  I would highly recommend this excursion, and for those that are coming here in late 2023 and in 2024 the time to book is now as there are very limited numbers that can do this excursion.

Patrick has retired and one of his long-time guides, Shaun Jaffray, has taken over.  Shaun was our guide today and he was FANTASTIC!  You can find all the information regarding this excursion on Shaun's website, AdventureFalklands.com

We had a great day!  🐧🐧🐧

Screenshot_20230311-170407_Chrome.jpg

20230311_124057.jpg

20230311_124120.jpg

20230311_120903.jpg

20230311_122015.jpg

20230311_120011.jpg

20230311_115359.jpg

20230311_124443.jpg

0 B · 0 downloads

Aloha. We loved the Falklands and glad you did too! Thank you for your posts.

• Like 1

Did you make a full circle around Cape Horn today? The Crown did in 2017. An the Captain said he would never do it again. 😆  West of the island 90° heavy side winds. Heeling of the ship was funny for about 15 minutes.

img_5308bvcpp.png

Edited by EDVM96

6 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Did you make a full circle around Cape Horn today? The Crown did in 2017. An the Captain said he would never do it again. 😆  West of the island 90° heavy side winds. Heeling of the ship was funny for about 15 minutes.

img_5308bvcpp.png

Yes, we did at around 7 pm.  Weather and seas were not bad then.  Later tonight we are supposed to get winds of 40 to 50 kts.  Yikes!

• Like 2

Live from Des Moines... must caused by the drunk woman we had to deplane... we were late already but.... sigh...most likely we'll miss our connection in Atlanta.  We can get to Lima 24 hours late so we can still catch the flight to Machu Pichu.... but that does cause other issues.. we'll see.  At least we'll make the ship.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

img_5308bvcpp.png

Yeah we made it to the Horn Island.  Princess only does a scenic cruising to the eastern side of Horn Island. 

We Could see the lighthouse and the albatross memorial Monument. 

It was surprisingly clear, because as we approached it was cloudy and visibility was low.  But mother nature surprised us and lifted.

In our six trips this winter down to the Horn we have only been able to stop and view 3 times, the last 3.

It is 330 am an we are currently at Port William picking up the pilots for Ushuaia.

Vickie

Edited by vickie_bernie
  • Like 3