"Live" Sapphire Princess, 32 Days, Buenos Aires to LA, 3/5/23 to 4/6/23

LACruiser88

26 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I'll take a photo of the Vines wines later today.  However, they are out of about half of the wines on the list.  About half of those, they have not had since boarding.  The MDR has about 100 selections by the bottle, a few more by the glass than Vines.

Who knows what the wine inventory will be in the future.  It can't get worse!

There is no dancing at all in the Piazza, that is only on Royal Class ships.

We are dancers and have done so most nights.  They have had a really good husband/wife duo in the Wheelhouse.  The party band has been playing in Explorers Lounge and Club Fusion.  Every few nights they have had DJ "Ballroom" music in Club Fusion, not for us.

Many thanks!  It’s great to hear you have been dancing.  We have enjoyed dancing in the Wheelhouse on other ships especially as the floor is wood (the piazza floor is harder on our legs).

Sorry to hear about the lack of so many wines.  That happened on our fall cruise too (which departed from Rome but had very little Italian wine onboard).  I can’t understand how a ship departing Buenos Aires where there is so much good wine can run out of things.  Maybe it’s time for Princess to move to more regional wine lists so it is easier to get more wine onboard.

• Like 4

I've have a sinking feeling in my gut, that half the selections I'm interested in aren't available. Oh well, more reasons to go ashore when in port and explore local selections 😊, There's never been a shortage of wine in my life. 🍷

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I've have a sinking feeling in my gut, that half the selections I'm interested in aren't available. Oh well, more reasons to go ashore when in port and explore local selections 😊, There's never been a shortage of wine in my life. 🍷

The other issue in the MDR is that the Jr Waiters can't tell you what wine by the glass are available, other than a Cab, a Merlot, etc.

The Sapphire has two somm's (again, a program they had years ago) but they only help if you are purchasing a bottle.  I don't see this current somm program lasting very long.

I've had conversations with both of them and they are trying but you can't really call them sommeliers.  They were both Princess bartenders on their previous contracts. 

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:19 AM, LACruiser88 said:

After checking out the MDR lunch menu and the buffet, we opted for Alfredo's.  Again!  We have had lunch there 3 times now.  The pizza's have been very, very, very good!

Onions, capers and black olives, muy rico!  They ran out of anchovies onboard.

20230319_114837.jpg

Yes! We love Alfredo’s. 
Thanks so much for sharing your journey, have learned a lot!

We’ll hopefully be on the Sapphire next Feb. after two cancellations. 🙄

Quick question: who did you use for Volunteer Point? Appreciate your input and experience! 

Edited by JoRoy218
  • Like 1

I afraid Princess has really dropped the ball on the wine program all around. Several years ago, they were cited for Excellence by the Wine Spectator, but those days sadly have passed. It's become hit or miss on the ships now as to what you may find. 

That said, perhaps the sales just weren't worth the investment - although we did our best to help float that boat!

I noticed that the Embruix isn't on the Vines list, but you did mention it early on this cruise. Is there any left?!

Congrats on your new Panama purchases - you wear it well!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoRoy218 said:

Yes! We love Alfredo’s. 
Thanks so much for sharing your journey, have learned a lot!

We’ll hopefully be on the Sapphire next Feb. after two cancellations. 🙄

Quick question: who did you use for Volunteer Point? Appreciate your input and experience! 

Screenshot_20230322-112357_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ff4a4ad710a4467a80081b6420c6c462.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, loge23 said:

noticed that the Embruix isn't on the Vines list, but you did mention it early on this cruise. Is there any left?!

The Embruix, Spellbound and the Malbec were gone a few days into our voyage.  How can you run out of Malbec while in Argentina!  All of their wine shipments have been coming from Ft Lauderdale or LA. Crazy!!!

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 8:19 AM, LACruiser88 said:

After checking out the MDR lunch menu and the buffet, we opted for Alfredo's.  Again!  We have had lunch there 3 times now.  The pizza's have been very, very, very good!

Onions, capers and black olives, muy rico!  They ran out of anchovies onboard.

20230319_114837.jpg

When we were on board they could not scrape up any Jalepeno's.   The pizza could have used a kick. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waltd said:

When we were on board they could not scrape up any Jalepeno's.   The pizza could have used a kick. 

Totally agree!  That's why we always travel with the two below products.  Our servers keep it for us at their station.  Flatiron has individual packets that I take to Alfredo's.  Cholula's Original and Chipotle are my favorite flavors.

Screenshot_20230328-130429_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bd48ef4a7f21c8b7a1996bca2097ae6c.jpg

Screenshot_20230328-130325_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7d8940ec42bd2227419dec972203824c.jpg

• Like 2

@JoRoy218  I forgot to mention that you should book now if you are considering this excursion.  Shaun mentioned that he already had a lot of reservations for the 2023/2024 season.  There are a very limited amount of spots available.  There is no deposit taken, you pay cash on the day of the excursion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waltd said:

Jalapeños would be great. Italian sausage seems to be missing too.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 2

Many thanks LACrusier88 for the info on Vines.  Not that many options considering so many things are sold out.  I have trouble understanding how Princess can’t seem to get enough wine onboard since we had the same shortage problem this past October on Regal.  It shouldn’t take too many cruises for the logistics people to get a feel for how much wine is needed!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

@JoRoy218  I forgot to mention that you should book now if you are considering this excursion.  Shaun mentioned that he already had a lot of reservations for the 2023/2024 season.  There are a very limited amount of spots available.  There is no deposit taken, you pay cash on the day of the excursion.

Thanks for the input. I actually communicated with Patrick back in early Feb. He mentioned there was problems with drivers and unsure of this season, not to mention 2024. He advised me to get back with him in April to see how things are going. Obviously you have updated info, will contact Sean today. 

Edited by JoRoy218
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

The Embruix, Spellbound and the Malbec were gone a few days into our voyage.  How can you run out of Malbec while in Argentina!  All of their wine shipments have been coming from Ft Lauderdale or LA. Crazy!!!

When the margins disappear, so will those wines unfortunately.

I looked up a few of the wines on your Vines menu and they looked much more interesting than the ones I saw listed on another post for a different venue. The other wines were the type you would expect to find at a sorority social. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

Thanks for the input. I actually communicated with Patrick back in early Feb. He mentioned there was problems with drivers and unsure of this season, not to mention 2024. He advised me to get back with him in April to see how things are going. Obviously you have updated info, will contact Sean today. 

Thanks for the heads up! Have gotten response from Shaun and reserved a spot for the two of us. Yay! 

• Like 1