Is Cunard tweaking the Gala Evening dress code?

bluemarble

4 minutes ago, Brummel said:

Here! Here! for more Gala Nights! Please give me an excuse to take two formal outfits, especially if the voyage includes time in the Tropics so I can sport my white dinner jacket with shawl collar. Cunard and others might think I am channeling my inner Bogart, but I'm really just expressing my own inner suavity. 

Question — is it ok to wear a white dinner jacket in the evening on a TA?

I know with the bad news out of Southampton today dress code talk is a minor issue, but I’ve always wondered. 

2 hours ago, NE John said:

I know with the bad news out of Southampton today dress code talk is a minor issue, but I’ve always wondered. 

No. White dinner jackets are reserved for tropical climes. Shawl or peak collars only, black trousers and bowties. Double-breasted an option. And no military-style white "mess" jackets: as Jeeves would say, you will be mistaken for the wait staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NE John said:

It is not prohibited in the Cunard dress code description. 

I have seen them wore on QM2 transatlantics, but you see a lot of sartorial faux pas on Gala Nights. Mostly by my fellow Americans, it must be admitted. It's okay to occasionally break the rules, but you must first master them. 

8 minutes ago, Brummel said:

The Beau's Prime Directive always applies: do not wear (or by extension, do not not wear) anything that draws attention to yourself 😁.

OOPs, that rules a few folk out then!! 😄

Luckily, sartorial faux pas are in the eye of the beholder and if those of a let's say, flamboyant nature wish to dazzle us with less than sober attire, I for one love their  exuberance.

Luckily, those chaps who wish to wear their ivory dinner jacket of an evening outside the Tropics have probably mastered the theory that rules are there to be broken although a Northern Lights cruise in Oct/Nov might not be the best time to display such sartorial antipathy! 😁

Victoria2 writes:

"Luckily, sartorial faux pas are in the eye of the beholder and if those of a let's say, flamboyant nature wish to dazzle us with less than sober attire, I for one love their  exuberance."

Let us remember, the Beau (Peace be upon him!) dictated simple, sober and non-foppish formal wear for men as a way to highlight the ladies' glittering, colorful gowns. The true gentleman does not compete with his lady for attention in the ballroom; he enhances her by the contrast.. 

Edited by Brummel
wrong spelling

3 minutes ago, Brummel said:

Victoria2 writes:

"Luckily, sartorial faux pas are in the eye of the beholder and if those of a let's say, flamboyant nature wish to dazzle us with less than sober attire, I for one love their  exuberance."

Let us remember, the Beau (Peace be upon him!) dictated simple, sober and non-foppish formal wear for men as a way to highlight the ladies' glittering, colorful gowns. The true gentleman does not compete with his lady for attention in the ballroom; he enhances her by the contrast.. 

Luckily, there's room around a Cunard ship for the Peacocks and the glittering ladies. Both can dazzle. 😄

• Like 1

I'm afraid that we are likely to be crossing just before the Summer Season and unless a serious diversion is required, will be North of The Mason-Dixon line.

However I only plan to wear an Ivory Tuxedo on evenings that are not officially "Gala" and only where it enhances the outfit that my wife is wearing.

Hopefully I can be absolved.

2 hours ago, D&N said:

I'm afraid that we are likely to be crossing just before the Summer Season and unless a serious diversion is required, will be North of The Mason-Dixon line.

However I only plan to wear an Ivory Tuxedo on evenings that are not officially "Gala" and only where it enhances the outfit that my wife is wearing.

Hopefully I can be absolved.

The Beau nods. Gallantry to the ladies absolves everything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brummel said:

Victoria2 writes:

What rule applies if it’s two gentlemen? 🙂

Good question!  And one the Beau never had to consider.

I would think if both are presenting as male, standard formal rules apply, perhaps even more austere as "peacocking" might come across as effeminate and thus clichéd. Again, the rule is men shouldn't stand out - even from each other.

But I admit, we're in uncharted territory here.

My husband is planning to wear a white DJ for the Ice White Gala on our Alaskan cruise. Will this not be acceptable? I know he feels he's making an effort to get into the theme, I would hate to think a bunch of seasoned Cunarders are snickering at his 'faux pas'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DynamoLiz said:

My husband is planning to wear a white DJ for the Ice White Gala on our Alaskan cruise. Will this not be acceptable? I know he feels he's making an effort to get into the theme, I would hate to think a bunch of seasoned Cunarders are snickering at his 'faux pas'.

Seems unlikely, but such snickering says WAY more about the snickerer than about the snickeree. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DynamoLiz said:

Please have him wear his white! Enjoy!!!

You both will look fabulous for the Ice White Gala Night!!!!

Edited by naturelovergirl
  • Like 1