Is Cunard tweaking the Gala Evening dress code?

bluemarble

As paying guests, we expect great things from Cunard (and Cunard raises our expectations even higher with their ads promising superior White Star service) but we all also need to recognize that the staff and crew are far away from home, live in a small shared space onboard, and work long shifts. 
I’ve always been amazed at how the staff remember names, dining preferences etc, even at Britannia class.

I’m in awe with the overall high level of service in how they crank out 1,000’s of meals, drinks, and teas each and every day. It’s a work of art. 

• Like 5

As a charter member of the Queens' Dandies, I have decided to buck the on-going descent into sartorial slovenliness and hereby offer this pledge:

Whatever the dress code, aboard any of the Queens I shall: 

1) Never appear in a public area without collared shirt, jacket and trousers. Only exception is a polo shirt and subdued shorts in the warmest climes.

2) Always wear a suit AND tie in dining venues (only exception Kings Court buffet)

3) Always wear a tuxedo that adheres to Black Tie traditions. No notched collars or colors except black and midnight blue (white dinner jackets allowed in the Tropics).

4) Never show bare ankles except poolside.

5) Never wear swimwear except poolside. (Think of the children!)

6 Never wear sweatpants or trainers except in the fitness center and on the promenade deck.

7 Never wear any fabric with over 5 percent artificial fibers.

Any other men with me?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Brummel said:

Any other men with me?

Even though happening before 6pm, dress appropriately for Afternoon Tea in the Queen’s Room. I’ve seen hoodies worn on some YouTube Tea videos. Dress for the occasion, even before 6pm. 
I’m interested to see various the level of dress during my June 23 TA. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brummel said:

As a charter member of the Queens' Dandies, I have decided to buck the on-going descent into sartorial slovenliness and hereby offer this pledge:

1) Never appear in a public area without collared shirt, jacket and trousers. Only exception is a polo shirt and subdued shorts in the warmest climes.

2) Always wear a suit AND tie in dining venues (only exception Kings Court buffet)

3) Always wear a tuxedo that adheres to Black Tie traditions. No notched collars or colors except black and midnight blue (white dinner jackets allowed in the Tropics).

6 Never wear sweatpants or trainers except in the fitness center and on the promenade deck.

Any other men with me?

I'm with you on every count , however, I have a confession to admit in number 4 ! 

I'm afraid I do occasionally go without socks when wearing my smart Gucci Loafers , apparently it's all the rage . 

(Raises glass)

"To the immortal Beau (peace be upon him!), who showed us the path out of dank swamps of gaudy foppery and into sunlit meadows of fresh linen, sober colors and country washing, lots of - salute!"

Edited by Brummel

22 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I'm with you on every count , however, I have a confession to admit in number 4 ! 

I'm afraid I do occasionally go without socks when wearing my smart Gucci Loafers , apparently it's all the rage . 

Better loafers without socks than sandals with them. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

And the male ankle is such a lovely thing....

Many think this odious trend is a form of Sprezzatura, casual carelessness, which includes a tie above an unbuttoned shirt collar, or a tie used as a belt, or wearing your watch over your shirt cuff.

I define Sprezzatura as "What happens when you get dressed in the dark."

46 minutes ago, Brummel said:

And the male ankle is such a lovely thing....

Many think this odious trend is a form of Sprezzatura, casual carelessness, which includes a tie above an unbuttoned shirt collar, or a tie used as a belt, or wearing your watch over your shirt cuff.

I define Sprezzatura as "What happens when you get dressed in the dark."

Not true. I spent half, the winter half, of my career getting dressed in the dark, so as not to disturb my spouse, and the worst sin I committed was a non-matching pair of shoes, but only once.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Not true. I spent half, the winter half, of my career getting dressed in the dark, so as not to disturb my spouse, and the worst sin I committed was a non-matching pair of shoes, but only once.

I did that once...one lace up, one slip on.....didn't notice until mid-afternoon!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2023 at 3:45 AM, Brummel said:

Any other men with me?

YES!

On 2/28/2023 at 2:53 PM, NE John said:

Is this an early April Fool’s joke? Inner James Bond?!?

It looks like Cunard itself is breaking the “Cunard Contract” of dress code that they started that so many others are choosing Cunard for that formality. Many comments in these boards from those loyal to Celebrity, etc that sail on Cunard because other lines are dumbing down faster and they want to participate in Cunard formal nights they can’t get elsewhere. 

For crying out loud, even 20-something year old poster Emma Cruises on YouTube said she appreciated the high standards of dress on Cunard and that the ship’s elegant decor calls for proper dress. 

Yes, wearing a jacket at dinner automatically exude class, but relaxing rules promotes the breaking of a decades old Contract that Cunard so well defined. 

PS I just came across a picture from our Honeymoon cruise (30 years ago) on a Caribbean cruise on Norwegian cruise line and I had a tux on even for a super casual cruise. I forgot I even brought a tux…glad I did, stylin’. 

Well said!

• Like 1

Hello,

I have not got problem with a dress code but I do with its frequency. In a few minutes I will be off to join QV for four nights to Hamburg and return. Of those four nights two are formal - including the last night when, on other lines, my formal wear will have been packed-away (and maybe even taken away) and I am in smart casual. I will of course respect the first formal night, but doubt the second.

Regards,

Cublet

I think this happens because a lot of people do two nighters from (or to) Hamburg, and a fair proportion of them, though by no means all, like the idea of a formal night. I also think that, if you are going to take the clobber for one formal night, you may as well make use of it and do several. 

• Like 1

We also have a problem with the frequency of the dress code.

4 Gala Nights in 14 is far too few. I had planned to take 2 x Dinner Suits and 2 x dark lounge suits on our next crossings but decided last night to take 3 x DJs and 1 lounge suit. I will probably dress formally every night. Our first night outfits would travel in our hand baggage anyway, along with everything we would need for a westbound crossing. Likewise there's plenty of space for the last night's outfits in our back packs as well. Besides we'd be self disembarking so it wouldn't really matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I have not got problem with a dress code but I do with its frequency. In a few minutes I will be off to join QV for four nights to Hamburg and return. Of those four nights two are formal - including the last night when, on other lines, my formal wear will have been packed-away (and maybe even taken away) and I am in smart casual. I will of course respect the first formal night, but doubt the second.

Regards,

Cublet

If you're going right home after the cruise, take a carry-all bag of some sort to stuff the formal clothes into. I don't worry a lot about how I pack going home because clothes are going to the cleaner or in the wash, not back into the closet.

2 hours ago, D&N said:

We also have a problem with the frequency of the dress code.

4 Gala Nights in 14 is far too few. I had planned to take 2 x Dinner Suits and 2 x dark lounge suits on our next crossings but decided last night to take 3 x DJs and 1 lounge suit. I will probably dress formally every night. Our first night outfits would travel in our hand baggage anyway, along with everything we would need for a westbound crossing. Likewise there's plenty of space for the last night's outfits in our back packs as well. Besides we'd be self disembarking so it wouldn't really matter.

Good for you! I think there should be more "gala" nights, too. 

• Like 2

Here! Here! for more Gala Nights! Please give me an excuse to take two formal outfits, especially if the voyage includes time in the Tropics so I can sport my white dinner jacket with shawl collar. Cunard and others might think I am channeling my inner Bogart, but I'm really just expressing my own inner suavity. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brummel said:

Here! Here! for more Gala Nights! Please give me an excuse to take two formal outfits, especially if the voyage includes time in the Tropics so I can sport my white dinner jacket with shawl collar. Cunard and others might think I am channeling my inner Bogart, but I'm really just expressing my own inner suavity. 

Go for it!!!