Hard sided vs soft sided luggage

luvs2beachit

On 3/4/2023 at 9:30 AM, ldubs said:

Yep, I have to admit that rough surfaces and especially cobbles is potential problem.  That is when I manually covert the bag to a 2-wheeler.   Fortunately, after years using large 4-wheel spinners, have yet to lose a wheel.   Admittedly, I'm not taking the luggage "off-roading" too much.   All about tradeoffs I guess.   

With the 4-wheeler, you are losing possible packing space as the wheels are built on bottom of the bag rather than integrated like the 2-wheelers.  It's a good 2" of height x width of your bag wasted.  I'd rather have that extra and have just 2 wheels...

Yes, my one 2-wheeler has been "off road" in Kenya and a few multi-week camping trips (I do walk-in campsites most of the time). 

20 hours ago, Philob said:

My Oyster was pre 9/11, pre-TSA, so no TSA "keyhole".  It had pretty sturdy locks and TSA had to pry it open ruining the lock and suitcase in the process. 

Would be easier to teach a rock to swim than filing a claim against the TSA back then.

Did I miss a major change in the TSA claim process ( or anything else) in the last 20+ years? 😉🙄

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

With the 4-wheeler, you are losing possible packing space as the wheels are built on bottom of the bag rather than integrated like the 2-wheelers.  It's a good 2" of height x width of your bag wasted.  I'd rather have that extra and have just 2 wheels...

Again, I'm talking large checked bag.  I run out of weight allowance before I run out of space.  

BTW, I'm not sure what bag you are measuring.  We lose no where near 2" on both height and width on our large soft sided TravelPro luggage.   We lose nothing on width.  The bottom frame holding the wheel mounts is not even an inch thick. In reality, very little volume is sacrificed.  

19 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Again, I'm talking large checked bag.  I run out of weight allowance before I run out of space.  

BTW, I'm not sure what bag you are measuring.  We lose no where near 2" on both height and width on our large soft sided TravelPro luggage.   We lose nothing on width.  The bottom frame holding the wheel mounts is not even an inch thick. In reality, very little volume is sacrificed.  

It does not really matter on checked bags. I still prefer two wheeled Travel Pro to spinner Travel Pro. I have managed though not to do checked bags for the last four years. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It does not really matter on checked bags. I still prefer two wheeled Travel Pro to spinner Travel Pro. I have managed though not to do checked bags for the last four years. 

Not sure what you mean by not mattering for checked bags.  For our large checked bag I prefer the spinner because it is much easier to move around in 90% of the places we go.  In those other places I use it as if it were a two wheeled bag.    

Yep, I bring too much to do only carry-on.   With the checked bag, my carryon is normally a backpack.  The carry-on luggage we own is a spinner but I could go with a two wheeled too.  The main thing is that I can put my "personal item" on top of it when I'm moving about.   

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

I was thinking of the height from the actual bottom the bag to where the wheels hit the ground.   The width would stay the same.  I mistyped, I think.  I was thinking if your bag dimensions were say, 22x14x9, the 14x9 could be the same, but you could lose up to 2" from the floor to the actual bag with the wheels.  Does that make sense?  My 2wheeler has a larger bag space even though it and my 4wheeler show the same dimensions.  But, my 2wheels are kind of embedded on the sides, not sticking all the way out the bottom.  I don't have access to them, so I'm trying to visualize them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I was thinking of the height from the actual bottom the bag to where the wheels hit the ground.   The width would stay the same.  I mistyped, I think.  I was thinking if your bag dimensions were say, 22x14x9, the 14x9 could be the same, but you could lose up to 2" from the floor to the actual bag with the wheels.  Does that make sense?  My 2wheeler has a larger bag space even though it and my 4wheeler show the same dimensions.  But, my 2wheels are kind of embedded on the sides, not sticking all the way out the bottom.  I don't have access to them, so I'm trying to visualize them. 

That makes sense.  Thanks.