Free at Sea...Need a Little Help

Cannotwaitocruise

Will have three in my room.  So this covers drinks for all three people?  Specialty meals for two?  It says it saves $160.  Is this what two meals each should cost?   How much is it going to cost for third person? Can we share with the third person?  It is my elderly mother.   Internet for two, not three?  Also I swear from the last time I checked prices, the offer is for less minutes and less $$ on the specialty meal. 

If you aren't sure what the offer is, please confirm with NCL in writing before booking your cruise because these people were really unhappy (and I have no idea if they or NCL were wrong, but just don't want you to find out what you will get on the ship):  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=696440 

All guests in a room need to purchase the drink package, or none of you can have it.  Please note the additional mandatory fees for drink packages are high, so if your mother doesn't drink much it might not be worth it.  You should price out the cruise with and without the drink package and then decide if you should get it.

Specialty dining is usually for the first two passengers.  If the third/fourth passenger is a child, they can order off the kids menu for free (or rarely specialty restaurants sometimes let them substitute an appetizer but they are not required to do so).  

You will need to pay for your mother's food at a specialty restaurant, but hopefully others can clarify if there is any rules about how much food you need to purchase for your mother at an a la carte restaurant.  I don't know  if they will allow her to only purchase an appetizer and sit with you and you can share your food ( in one restaurant they let us substitute an appetizer for our child's kids meal and everyone could share, but I don't know how flexible NCL would be with an adult).  

At a fixed price restaurant your mother will need to pay a full price, so please bear that in mind for Teppanyaki and Moderno and possibly other restaurants depending on your ship.  At the a la carte restaurants If you are able to purchase just an appetizer for your mother, that would be much less than Moderno, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Honestly, the food in the specialty dining on the Getaway in January was good, but not great.  Ocean Blue was really good, but the other specialty restaurants were nothing special.  I'd recommend people only use the number of meals that are included with the dining package with your room because the fees on dining aren't as high as the drink fees, but I would not recommend that anyone upgrade the number of meals purchased, nor would I think it would be worth it to pay for Teppanyaki or Moderno for your mom at an unsubsidized price (unless your mom might really like the show in Teppanyaki).   

Also, if you haven't booked and your cruise is scheduled to dock at Bar Harbor or is the Spirit to Alaska, you might want to do further research to make sure NCL isn't going to cancel part of your itinerary after final payment:  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

@Cannotwaitocruise

It would be to your advantage to read the Terms and Conditions to the current promotions. (link below)

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

Please consider purchasing a separate meal package for your mother, since sharing (most likely) will create a charge at each Specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

If you aren't sure what the offer is, please confirm with NCL in writing before booking your cruise because these people were really unhappy (and I have no idea if they or NCL were wrong, but just don't want you to find out what you will get on the ship):  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=696440 

All guests in a room need to purchase the drink package, or none of you can have it.  Please note the additional mandatory fees for drink packages are high, so if your mother doesn't drink much it might not be worth it.  You should price out the cruise with and without the drink package and then decide if you should get it.

Specialty dining is usually for the first two passengers.  If the third/fourth passenger is a child, they can order off the kids menu for free (or rarely specialty restaurants sometimes let them substitute an appetizer but they are not required to do so).  

You will need to pay for your mother's food at a specialty restaurant, but hopefully others can clarify if there is any rules about how much food you need to purchase for your mother at an a la carte restaurant.  I don't know  if they will allow her to only purchase an appetizer and sit with you and you can share your food ( in one restaurant they let us substitute an appetizer for our child's kids meal and everyone could share, but I don't know how flexible NCL would be with an adult).  

At a fixed price restaurant your mother will need to pay a full price, so please bear that in mind for Teppanyaki and Moderno and possibly other restaurants depending on your ship.  At the a la carte restaurants If you are able to purchase just an appetizer for your mother, that would be much less than Moderno, but I don't know if that's allowed.

Honestly, the food in the specialty dining on the Getaway in January was good, but not great.  Ocean Blue was really good, but the other specialty restaurants were nothing special.  I'd recommend people only use the number of meals that are included with the dining package with your room because the fees on dining aren't as high as the drink fees, but I would not recommend that anyone upgrade the number of meals purchased, nor would I think it would be worth it to pay for Teppanyaki or Moderno for your mom at an unsubsidized price (unless your mom might really like the show in Teppanyaki).   

Also, if you haven't booked and your cruise is scheduled to dock at Bar Harbor or is the Spirit to Alaska, you might want to do further research to make sure NCL isn't going to cancel part of your itinerary after final payment:  

I believe if the first 2 passengers get the drink package through free at sea, the 3rd doesn’t have to purchase it. The gratuity is around $20 pp pd, that’s cheaper than buying 2 drinks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I believe if the first 2 passengers get the drink package through free at sea, the 3rd doesn’t have to purchase it. The gratuity is around $20 pp pd, that’s cheaper than buying 2 drinks.

Thanks for the correction - we sail with small children so we can't drink enough to make the drink package work so I didn't research this carefully.  

Edited by kitkat343

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

This has not been my experience.  We traveled three in a single (2 bedroom) cabin last June and have reservations for April.  Last cruise I was required to pay for (or accept the free and pay the gratuity - can't remember) also.  This cruise we have the Free at Sea and all three of us got free drink package and all three of us were charged the gratuity.  (by drink package, I mean the basic one that includes alcoholic beverages)

So, drink package was free for all three of us (other than gratuities). 

The free at sea meals went ONLY to the first two passengers - so I do not get the free at sea meals.  I may join them for one meal and pay for it but will dine on my own the other meal.  You can purchase a specialty dining package for the third person.

As far as the free internet (ours is 150 minutes each), that is only for the first two people.  I believe each person can only be logged in on one device, but your third person can use some of your minutes under your account.

12 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

This cruise we have the Free at Sea and all three of us got free drink package and all three of us were charged the gratuity.  (by drink package, I mean the basic one that includes alcoholic beverages)

The current promo has the drink package for guests 1-8 who are over 21 years-old. 

For years, it was only for guests 1&2. 

8 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

The free at sea meals went ONLY to the first two passengers

This has been the case for years, too.

It used to be for all guests in the stateroom but that was many years ago. 

13 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

As far as the free internet (ours is 150 minutes each), that is only for the first two people.

"Offer will be applied to the 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom.
Internet package is per person. Two logins per stateroom.
"

It used to be per stateroom and it didn't matter which person used it. There have been a few changes in promos so it's important to know what's up at the time of booking. 

First time cruising on Norwegian.  Questions on gratutities.  Are the gratuities for Free at Sea beverage package charged to our account or each time a drink or ordered?  

Also, how much are the Service gratuities?  Is it $20 per person per day?  Is this mandatory and put on our account?  Or can gratuities be giving in cash on last cruise day?

35 minutes ago, memparrot said:

Questions on gratutities.  Are the gratuities for Free at Sea beverage package charged to our account or each time a drink or ordered?  

If you take the promo, you pay the 20% service charge on the package. The package is currently $109 per person per day. You pay $21.80pppd. This amount is added to the fare and paid before you get on the ship. Once on the ship, drinks $15 or less that are covered will cost you nothing extra. Your service charge is already taken care of. If you choose to tip, that is up to you. If your drink is over $15 ($20 shot, for ex), you pay the difference ($5) plus 20% on that difference ($1) for a total charge of $6 on your account. 

If you DO NOT have a drink package, each individual drink has a 20% service charge added. 

41 minutes ago, memparrot said:

Also, how much are the Service gratuities?  Is it $20 per person per day?

If you mean the daily service charge, that is completely separate from the promo service charge. 

If you have not booked yet...

For bookings made on or after January 1, 2023:

$25.00 USD per person per day for The Haven and Suites;
$20.00 USD per person per day for Club Balcony Suite and below

...but if you are already booked, you might be able to pre-pay at a lower rate. It depends on when you booked. The recent increase can be avoided if you booked before an increase and pay in advance. 

• Like 2

its billed to your account, so if you start handing out tips on the last sailing day, you;re effectively double tipping. if you're in a haven or a suite, you may want to tip the butler/concierge/ cabin steward, as i believe they are not included in the daily service charges. of course during your entire cruise, it doesnt hurt to tip a little here and there for anyone providing a little extra service, especially your bartender.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 5:34 AM, Cannotwaitocruise said:

Will have three in my room.  So this covers drinks for all three people?  Specialty meals for two?  It says it saves $160.  Is this what two meals each should cost?   How much is it going to cost for third person? Can we share with the third person?  It is my elderly mother.   Internet for two, not three?  Also I swear from the last time I checked prices, the offer is for less minutes and less $$ on the specialty meal. 

the FAS terms did change at some point last year. I made a booking last January that gave me 250mins and 2 specialty dining credits, but the same booking now would only get 150mins and 1 specialty dining credit. They have also now introduced free at sea Plus which you can upgrade to. FAS+ changes WiFi to unlimited, and adds more specialty dining credits as well as extending the excursion credit to the second person  in the cabin and upgrades you to the premium plus beverage package. 

So I am in a similar situation- 1 adult and 2 kids in a room.  I understand that adult 1 and child 1 get the beverage/soda package.

For the internet at sea- can Child #2, use all 300 minutes if we so choose?  How exactly does the log in work?  Are there 2 usernames/passwords for the room and only 1 device can be signed up at any time per log in/password?

Could these log ins be shared with other family members staying in other rooms? 

Thank you

10 hours ago, DZ77 said:

So I am in a similar situation- 1 adult and 2 kids in a room.  I understand that adult 1 and child 1 get the beverage/soda package.

For the internet at sea- can Child #2, use all 300 minutes if we so choose?  How exactly does the log in work?  Are there 2 usernames/passwords for the room and only 1 device can be signed up at any time per log in/password?

Could these log ins be shared with other family members staying in other rooms? 

Thank you

I think someone else answered your question on another thread, but I'll answer here too.

You have one login for your WiFi package which is the last name/room #/date of birth (if my memory serves me properly) of each guest that has the WiFi package (in your situation, I'd assume it is Adult and Child #1). This login can be used by anyone you choose to give the information to on however many devices. So yes, child #2 could use all 300 minutes. Or, you could split the package between other individuals on your reservation. 

The most important aspect of this is to ensure whoever is currently using the internet logs out, either by clicking "logout" on the screen that appears after you login or by going to logout.com. If you do not, then the meter keeps on ticking and the minutes will be gone in no time making for unhappy kids and adults! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think someone else answered your question on another thread, but I'll answer here too.

You have one login for your WiFi package which is the last name/room #/date of birth (if my memory serves me properly) of each guest that has the WiFi package (in your situation, I'd assume it is Adult and Child #1). This login can be used by anyone you choose to give the information to on however many devices. So yes, child #2 could use all 300 minutes. Or, you could split the package between other individuals on your reservation. 

The most important aspect of this is to ensure whoever is currently using the internet logs out, either by clicking "logout" on the screen that appears after you login or by going to logout.com. If you do not, then the meter keeps on ticking and the minutes will be gone in no time making for unhappy kids and adults! 

Great to know.  Thank you.

So once the minutes are finished, you can't keep accessing the WiFi, while getting charged for the overage?  You would need to purchase a WiFi package? 

Just now, DZ77 said:

Great to know.  Thank you.

So once the minutes are finished, you can't keep accessing the WiFi, while getting charged for the overage?  You would need to purchase a WiFi package? 

You're welcome! It can definitely be confusing. If you're onboard, be sure to chat with the internet cafe person. They're very helpful and will sometimes restore minutes that were wasted due to not logging out (don't expect it, but it does happen). 

You would no longer be able to access the internet, except the NCL app and the free, extremely slow websites, like Cruise Critic and NCL.com. You can purchase minutes, packages, etc. right through the screen once your minutes run out.

Alternatively, if you don't use any minutes you can upgrade your package on embarkation day or the first full day on the cruise. It's slightly cheaper on the first full day of the cruise as the package is pro-rated by day. My understanding is you are unable to upgrade to a package after the first day with a credit from those fully unused internet minutes.