Seattle to Juneau - In June rough or calm seas?

lesters

Hello CC Alaska Folks!

Working on planning our first Alaskan cruise - have booked a balcony on the Carnival Luminosa departing June 15th.

Originally it was just going to be DH and myself but DD (20) has decided to jump in on the fun.  Her last cruise was on the Elation in 2020 before things went well .... you know.   On that one, for the first time in her 5 cruises she was super impacted by the motion.  We had stayed in an aft extended balcony and there was more movement than normal.   She's a bit concerned about this and its the one thing that is holding her a bit back on this cruise.

We've gone on 2 cruises since then without her - but she is ready to give it another try.

Curious if you have any insight.  I am sure once we get to Alaska and that portion of the cruise it will be smooth and beautiful but wondering about experiences on the journey out of Seattle. 

I know so many variables that nothing is guaranteed but just hoping for a bit of info to help planning and managing expectations.  

I can't wait - we have a balcony booked - mid ship so that will help movement wise as well this time around for her.  

I'm diving into previous posts to try and learn what I can!  We are not cruise line excursion type of people - prefer to wander on our own, or book things independently.   Love finding a great local restaurant for amazing food and people watching!  So will likely have more questions along the way!

Have as great day everyone!

Seas can be rough anywhere, any time, and they aren't predictable more than a few days in advance. If sea sickness is a possibility, one must be prepared EVERY day they are on a ship.

One of our roughest periods on a ship was entering the Straights of San Juan De Fuca, which you will sail when you depart Seattle.

You've picked an itinerary that has you out in the open ocean for more than three days of your seven day cruise.  If you are sailing in early June you may run into the spring storms common in that part of the North Pacific.  As mentioned above, it is difficult to predict marine weather more than a few days in advance.

image.jpeg.bd0d23f53be04ab96205c16742b6fb12.jpeg

Even though we live in Alaska we have done a number of Alaska cruises.  I personally prefer the one-ways, but we have done RTs too.  I much prefer the RTs out of Vancouver, but we have done them out of Seattle too.

Both my husband and I have a high tolerance for rough weather, but since your daughter does not she needs to be prepared.  She may want to contact her primary care physician for recommendations regarding seasickness medications.

• Like 2

July of 2022, the week after the 4th, we thought we'd have great weather.  Nah, it was rough for the first day and a half.  Very unusual, but not necessarily unpredictable.  If you are prone to seasickness, just try to stay in the middle of the ship, lower down.  It was noticeably better for us than where our room was - at the very front.

I'll add that when I did sampler voyages in early May and late Sept to Alaska, we had absolutely stunning weather.  Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Impossible to predict and as stated - you picked a route that has more potential for rocky seas. I also like one ways or RT out of Vancouver.

Have your daughter speak to her daughter and he may have some solutions.