Horizon Suite on Mariner

jet65

We were in the Horizon Suite, deck10 on the Mariner several years ago.

We experienced unpleasant, sewer-like smells whenever we were at sea, which forced us to move.

Has anyone experienced this lately, as we’re considering booking this type of suite for an upcoming cruise.

Any feedback would be appreciated 

7 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Horizon lounge is on deck 6. Surprised you were disturbed on deck 8.

Then we were on 7…sorry.  We were on one deck above the lounge and music disturbed us at night since we were going to bed at 10 or so with early mornings. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you both. Glad for the clarification.

also, thank you Flossie for your review on suite guru

We booked 8103 for a crossing, and are now looking forward to it!

Horizon view suites decks 8-9, with a shower instead of a tub, are just about perfect!

We are on the WC right now, and tried again for a Horizon view, but couldn’t get it.

Our friends are in one on deck 9. For our sail away from Bora Bora, all of the 9th floor Horizon View suites held a joint cocktail party with open doors to each suite. Fun and a great way to meet fellow cruisers!

1 hour ago, Brownie54 said:

Horizon view suites decks 8-9, with a shower instead of a tub, are just about perfect!

We are on the WC right now, and tried again for a Horizon view, but couldn’t get it.

Our friends are in one on deck 9. For our sail away from Bora Bora, all of the 9th floor Horizon View suites held a joint cocktail party with open doors to each suite. Fun and a great way to meet fellow cruisers!

Sounds like a "Blast"!

I’ve stayed in Horizon Suite deck 8 & Seven Seas Suite deck 7, both were quiet and I’d book deck 7 again without an issue. 
The only problem we had was toilets not flushing……..apparently for both deck 7 & 8, September last year. 

• 5 months later...

DW and I are planning a cruise in 2025(50th anniversary) on Mariner and considering a Horizon View suite.  On our previous cruises we tried to book on deck 8 or lower and between the elevators.  We've had some rough seas and haven't gotten seasick.  DW is a little nervous about being on the back of the ship if things get rough.

For those who have sailed in a stern suite, how has the experience been compared to mid ship suites when the going gets rough?

Thanks 

We have stayed in the Horizon view suite twice. Once on deck 8 and once on deck 9.  We had no problem with movement but we also don’t get seasick.  I didn’t like deck 8 because it was above the Horizon lounge and music would bother us when trying to sleep.  Deck 9 was great. 

We love the Horizon suites on Mariner - we prefer decks 8 or 9

24 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I didn’t like deck 8 because it was above the Horizon lounge

The lounge is on deck 6, so maybe it was a deck 7 suite that was an issue?

We don't have a problem with the aft suites on Mariner, but if you are concerned you could try a Penthouse; they are also very roomy & well laid out on Mariner.

Unless you specifically want a bath then choose suites that are labelled shower-only (asterisk on the deck plans) as the tub/shower combos on Mariner are not popular with many guests.

Edited by flossie009

5 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

We don't have a problem with the aft suites on Mariner, but if you are concerned you could try a Penthouse; they are also very roomy & well laid out on Mariner.

Unless you specifically want a bath then choose suites that are labelled shower-only (asterisk on the deck plans) as the tub/shower combos on Mariner are not popular with many guests.

Oh, my mistake.  I guess it was seven that had music issues. 

17 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Do you remember if the shower-only penthouse has a shower line?

Assuming one is available when we book we’re definitely booking on deck 8 or 9. DW is an early to bed type so deck 7 is off the table. I’m curious about deck 10. 

Deck 10 Horizon View suites are beneath La Veranda. I imagine that the most problematic times will be during clean-up after Sette Mari and setting up for breakfast. How bad is the noise from La Veranda in the deck 10 aft suites?

9 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Assuming one is available when we book we’re definitely booking on deck 8 or 9. DW is an early to bed type so deck 7 is off the table. I’m curious about deck 10. 

Deck 10 Horizon View suites are beneath La Veranda. I imagine that the most problematic times will be during clean-up after Sette Mari and setting up for breakfast. How bad is the noise from La Veranda in the deck 10 aft suites?

We’ve been in one on deck ten. Definitely, there is noise at night, and also in the early am.

would not book one of those, unles you don’t mind the noise of carts being wheeled in, and lounges being moved around…

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

One of the best suites we ever had was a Seven Sea Aft on 7 - in the corner. I will never forget sailing into Venice on the Grand Canal from the veranda with a 75 degree day.

If you were in corner away from where band is set up, I guess that is good. We were right above band area in Horizon lounge and there was no sleeping until they were done.  We were in 782.

Edited by rcandkc
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rcandkc said:

If you were in corner away from where band is set up, I guess that is good. We were right above band area in Horizon lounge and there was no sleeping until they were done.  We were in 782.

That’s odd as we’ve stayed in 781 & our friends in 783 and noise from the band or lounge, was never an issue for either of us. Also the stage where the band is located is more centered back below 784. , If 782 could hear it, so should all the aft level 7 cabins but it was fine from our two cabins. I’d happily stay there again. 

Edited by czardas

2 hours ago, czardas said:

That’s odd as we’ve stayed in 781 & our friends in 783 and noise from the band or lounge, was never an issue for either of us. Also the stage where the band is located is more centered back below 784. , If 782 could hear it, so should all the aft level 7 cabins but it was fine from our two cabins. I’d happily stay there again. 

Maybe it depends on the band.  And the cruise we were on the band was to the side of lounge under our suite.  Glad you didn’t have a problem.  We did.