How did you decide to take your very first cruise ?

lenquixote66

Ours was on our honeymoon in 1990. On the Song of Norway. Back then you had to go outside and up a ladder to get into the viking crown lounge.  We were such newbies. I look back now and love the fact that we took a "seven year itch" cruise after that and have been able to cruise at least once a year since then. Love cruising. It's not for everyone, but definitely for us.

• 4 weeks later...

It was that "dead period" between Christmas and New year.  I was idly browsing the colour supplement from the Sunday papers, and came across an advert. It was for a 10 day cruise, on a ship so New It was still being built.  The price was great, and we hummed and hawed for a day or two.

Ultimately,  what swung it was if we booked by 31 December we got free parking at the port.

We went for an inside cabin, as the cheapest option, reasoning that if we hated it we hadn't spent an absolute  fortune.

That ship still under construction was Independence of the Seas,  and we were on her 2nd ever voyage ( the first was a 4 day tester to Ireland).

Needless to say we didn't hate it....... 

• Like 3

I was a twenty six year old single guy who went to a travel agency owned by a coworkers mother. I explained that I wanted to go to somewhere sunny and she told me about taking a cruise. I went on the twenty fourth sailing on Royal Caribbean's Song Of America from Miami to Nassau, San Juan Puerto Rico and St Thomas on a seven day Eastern Caribbean sailing. On the first sea day I went to the Singles Get Together. I was one of over one hundred single cruisers that week. There were over eighty women and less than twenty men sailing that week in May 1983. I had a great week and met a lot of nice people. I became hooked on sailing after that wonderful week.

• Like 1

My late partner had done part of a round the world cruise with her parents a few years before her death (on Crystal, I think?), and she and I had always discussed doing a transatlantic on the QM2, but never quite got around to it. So, after her death, I bit the bullet, and haven't looked back (3 TAs on QM2 and 1 HAL Alaska cruise under my belt so far, Cunard Panama Canal full transit next winter.) 

• 2 weeks later...

My very first cruise was back in 1985😧...I had gone through a divorce....The line is now out of business (as many lines have gone).......it was on "Premier"...."The Big Red Boat" (if memory serves).

I didn't cruise again until 1992 and .my parents were celebrating their 50th Anniversary and took the family on a 3 night Carnival Cruise out of Port Canaveral. It was memorable and mom passed away 4 months after that cruise.

Fast forward to 2003.  I started cruising on a regular basis and have never looked back😀. It is now 20 years later and I have probably been on somewhere between 60-70 cruises😀. I guess it took me a long time to realize how much I love to cruise LOL...Oh, I am still LOVING IT!

• Like 1

Tenth wedding anniversary in 1994 and wanted something special.  We did a three night to make sure we did not get seasick.  It is one of our favorite vacation choices.  We enjoy cruising because it is relaxing for us and we also enjoy main dining room dining (even "formal" night) followed by a show.  I will never forget the enjoyment of being seated with Americans, Canadians, and an English couple while sailing to Alaska.