Striking Out to New Turf – A Joy(ful) Live – 3/18 – 3/25, Western Caribbean

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Obviously for research reasons I will ride this elevator, several times to ensure it reaches all three floors... with a cranberry vodka and club in hand! 

I appreciate the sacrifices you're willing to make in the name of research!

And thank you to everyone else for the replies about the elevator.  It really eases my mind!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I appreciate the sacrifices you're willing to make in the name of research!

And thank you to everyone else for the replies about the elevator.  It really eases my mind!

Yes! Others with actual experience were quick to chime in. I'm glad they did!! 

• Like 1

Clothes packing is done! Unmentionables aren't in sight as I decided y'all don't want to see those. Everything's in the suitcase. Now for someone else (I won't name, names) to get his act together so we can be packed up on this snowy, work from home day.  

image.thumb.jpeg.9d35f81ead6036f55cbd3110ee61490e.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Brings back memories of commuting from my OH home to Xerox tower 2X/month.

490 to Chili? That would take you within two blocks of "Innovation Square, Rochester." That's what they're calling the tallest tower in Rochester now. 

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

490 to Chili? That would take you within two blocks of "Innovation Square, Rochester." That's what they're calling the tallest tower in Rochester now. 

Yeah…remember the tollway well…I don’t think Xerox even has a closet in that building these days….kinda went the way of Kodak.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:37 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Today was an inspiring day. My husband participated in a Naturalization Ceremony as he became one of the fifty newest United States citizens! Several times throughout the ceremony, I wanted to cry. I didn't. I held it in! It was just inspiring and obviously exciting to see five years of work (and lots of fees) pay off. It was especially hell'ish for a LGBT couple who were hearing heated rhetoric about us gays and immigration. There were a lot of nerve wracking days until 2021. 

There were fifty new citizens representing 27 countries around the world. Did you know the United States still calls Burma, Burma? Not Myanmar? Me either!

But, now, in a courtroom where the judge quoted his hero, the late Robert F. Kennedy, the process became complete. While others were still receiving their certificates of naturalization, I was combing through my husband's certificate and court order to ensure his name was spelled correctly everywhere. I'm happy to report that everything was perfect! 

On to Norwegian Cruise Lines. I just confirmed my husband's phone call to NCL was successful. His name is changed on our cruise. Yay! And only for the mere sum of $150. I know NCL. That they're money grubbers, so expected the fee. He, however, did not expect it and I believe his words when he found out were something along the lines of "smother truckers." So thank you Norwegian for making a wonderful day feel not quite so wonderful. But, at least it's done! 

Congrats to both of you! Very cool! 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Booboochase said:

oooooo I see cards against humanity - so hilarious!!  And must be all the snow really is staying east - I am southeast of Rochester and we only have a couple inches so far.

Sure did! We did get about a foot, maybe two or three where it drifted in the fields. My lovely husband was out at 5 AM shoveling...because he has a car with like zero clearance! Me? Well, I just pulled through the drive, stopped in the middle of the road (it's a dead end, farm road) and cleared my SUV off there. Much easier when you actually have clearance. 

The update on the passport:

Last night we wanted to copy his documents and fill out the passport application in a PDF. Of course the ink in our printer is all but gone, so the copies came out looking like they had faded for 100 years in scorching sun. 

Meme Creator - Funny Say to the secretary: "The printer toner has run out,  we need to buy another" Sh Meme Generator at MemeCreator.org!

Source: https://www.memecreator.org/meme/say-to-the-secretary-the-printer-toner-has-run-out-we-need-to-buy-another-she-re

In this scenario, CVS is really the secretary and they are out of stock of our ink. So, fill out paper passport application by hand. Better he than I! My handwriting is worse than if a doctor and lawyer combined to write a novel. And, he's stopping at the UPS Store which is close to the Passport Agency in Buffalo, right about now, to copy his documents.

Documents necessary to get a passport with no time before travel when you just completed a name change and became a citizen:

1. Naturalization Certificate

2. NYS Driver's License

3. Mug shot....I mean I think mug shots look better than passport photos. Right, ladies?

4. Foreign, valid passport - not really needed, but I'm a firm believer in having too much, than not enough.

That's all. It's actually a pretty easy process in terms of gathering your documents and making copies...if you have ink in your printer, that is. 

Also, Cards Against Humanity, is such a great game to get to know people by. You figure out those who are going to push the boundaries real quick.

• Like 8

@cruiseny4life this will be such an amazing celebratory cruise for you guys. Remember the 40s is the new teens. And it's so thoughtful of you to share your day with St Patrick. The temperature will be dipping down to the 70s on Friday here in South Florida so I hope you are prepared for the cooling trend.

Passport update!

He made copies at the UPS Store in downtown Buffalo and had his number at the Passport Agency by 9:34 AM. At almost 10 AM he was called, for his 10 AM appointment. Literally, two minutes later he was on his way to the car. Passport will be ready between 2 and 3 PM, so now he has a day to kill in Buffalo.

The husband took one of our four dogs on the car ride. I'm really quite surprised he took any dog as my husband is very protective of his six month old vehicle. Generally, my car is the one we allow to get blanketed in dog hair and mud.

Anyway, the only photo he's sent me, so far, is of our boy puppy trying to take a swim in the Niagara River. Yes, that NIAGARA! 

image.thumb.jpeg.ff2ba7b7cbaf956229e6fdfdb2580553.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

@cruiseny4life this will be such an amazing celebratory cruise for you guys. Remember the 40s is the new teens. And it's so thoughtful of you to share your day with St Patrick. The temperature will be dipping down to the 70s on Friday here in South Florida so I hope you are prepared for the cooling trend.

70's sounds amazing to this guy! I don't like the thermostat when it climbs into the 80's. 🙂 But appreciate the heads up! I did pack one very light hoody for those early mornings. 

And yes, the Irish/American world does go all out for St. Patrick and I! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Passport update!

He made copies at the UPS Store in downtown Buffalo and had his number at the Passport Agency by 9:34 AM. At almost 10 AM he was called, for his 10 AM appointment. Literally, two minutes later he was on his way to the car. Passport will be ready between 2 and 3 PM, so now he has a day to kill in Buffalo.

The husband took one of our four dogs on the car ride. I'm really quite surprised he took any dog as my husband is very protective of his six month old vehicle. Generally, my car is the one we allow to get blanketed in dog hair and mud.

Anyway, the only photo he's sent me, so far, is of our boy puppy trying to take a swim in the Niagara River. Yes, that NIAGARA! 

image.thumb.jpeg.ff2ba7b7cbaf956229e6fdfdb2580553.jpeg

Whoa...isn't it great when a plan comes together....especially when it concerns a government agency?

WTG!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Y'all, this is getting crazy! I had two meetings canceled today. I've had one actual meeting, which turned into three, because of other issues we had to discuss. If anyone wants to know the ins and outs of ADA Accommodations, laying employees off, and how internal transfer systems work, well, I'm your guy! I only have one more meeting today.

I say this, because other than the two meetings, I have literally done no work. I've been cruising Cruise Critic, checking out CNN, talking to my husband and grandma, talking to the vet, our dog's kennel, and arranging for someone to housesit/cat sit while we're out. Nothing like some plans unraveling at the last moment. But! Everything is in place and we're all systems to go. For now.

What I really mean to say is, I'm sorry I keep bothering you with inane posts, but I really, really just do not want to work today. 

So, as a thanks for staying with me (I totally don't blame you if you tune me out), here's a gorgeous photo of Niagara Falls my husband snapped. He's now doing grocery shopping for my grandma.

Yep, I found a good one!

image.thumb.jpeg.e2eb0af3f97a4bd1d62efd7394f0e401.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Whoa...isn't it great when a plan comes together....especially when it concerns a government agency?

WTG!

I'm not counting my roosters yet! He has to pick up the passport still. But, yep, oh so close! 

• Like 3

Ok...I can count the chickens now!

image.thumb.jpeg.905edc8f639f5c396b84a47001894a24.jpeg

Hallelujah, I can relax...even though he did all the work!

We did attempt a last minute check-in on NCL with the newly printed passport. Alas, Norwegian counts 72 hours from sailing differently than us. Check-in has now been closed even though the "sailing" time is 5:30 PM. I know, NCL probably uses some other time than the itinerary's posted check-in time, but we wanted to try. Alas, it'll take us a hot minute to check mister new citizen in at the pier.

image.thumb.jpeg.72b48c7d48df87dff9cf9fdf2708a727.jpeg

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Now that should make you giddy!!  

So glad all the documentation worked out for you guys.  That’s unusual in today’s workforce.  

We're both HR pros. We know how to get our collective $h!^ together. But really, it did all go according to plan...and you're right, that's very rare! 

Thank you for following along on my tale ahead of the cruise.

5 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Yeah!!!!

Oh yea!! I agree with this sentiment. Can't wait to tell you how much I enjoy the sundeck. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Y'all, this is getting crazy! I had two meetings canceled today. I've had one actual meeting, which turned into three, because of other issues we had to discuss. If anyone wants to know the ins and outs of ADA Accommodations, laying employees off, and how internal transfer systems work, well, I'm your guy! I only have one more meeting today.

I say this, because other than the two meetings, I have literally done no work. I've been cruising Cruise Critic, checking out CNN, talking to my husband and grandma, talking to the vet, our dog's kennel, and arranging for someone to housesit/cat sit while we're out. Nothing like some plans unraveling at the last moment. But! Everything is in place and we're all systems to go. For now.

What I really mean to say is, I'm sorry I keep bothering you with inane posts, but I really, really just do not want to work today. 

So, as a thanks for staying with me (I totally don't blame you if you tune me out), here's a gorgeous photo of Niagara Falls my husband snapped. He's now doing grocery shopping for my grandma.

Yep, I found a good one!

image.thumb.jpeg.e2eb0af3f97a4bd1d62efd7394f0e401.jpeg

Not a bad day, IMHO.  Passport crisis resolved.  Work turned into a quasi-half day.  And, you posted a pretty pic of the Falls.  I consider that a good day!  Thanks!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I've been quiet today. You all are probably thankful! Of course I'm still monitoring all the other posts, but I couldn't think of anything to say. 

Sooooooo, I had my performance review today. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm exceeding expectations. How? I don't have the slightest idea! But, hey, I'll take it. Raises should come out in the next couple months. After I wade through all the other employee performance evaluations to determine which managers are giving too many accolades and which ones are being a pain in the patootie to their employees, for no reason. Oh joy! That's only 650, or so, evals to do.

The excitement builds! Today was check-in day on Delta. After the performance evaluation, I was able to check-in! Fort Lauderdale, we're on our way...in 20 hours, that is! 

image.png.4c020dedce4fb5ed438ca12580687068.png

Tomorrow's a travel day which is a stressful day for me as my phone batteries tend to die. I did upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra which has a really great battery. I might not have charging anxiety tomorrow with it! And that means I'll be really starting this live, live trip! 

Pretty sure I'm not a good Brit, so the whole "keep calm" thing just doesn't work for me! 

Can't KEEP CALM MY VACATION STARTS TODAY Poster | margaretmarymartin | Keep  Calm-o-Matic

Source: https://keepcalms.com/p/can-t-keep-calm-my-vacation-starts-today/

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

On 3/10/2023 at 9:40 AM, cruiseny4life said:

My husband enjoys Georgian food and there's an excellent Georgian restaurant halfway between the Fort Lauderdale airport and our hotel. 

Are you going to Gem Batumi in Sunny Isles Beach? Lots of Russian cuisine in the area too.

• Thanks 1