Silver Spirits

tocruiseguy

27 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

That is in the US, in most of the world (excluding moslem countries) that is at the upper end of normal, particularly if on holiday with no need to work or drive

I'm an American of Scots (MacIver) descent. But ----- when it comes to drinking beer I'd make a damn fine German😊.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I'm an American of Scots (MacIver) descent. But ----- when it comes to drinking beer I'd make a damn fine German😊.

The Germans make lager, not beer, is like saying  whisky and bourbon is the same thing 🙁

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Bourbon is whisky/whiskey. Lager is (really good) beer.

Whisky is a specific thing, made in a specific way. Whiskey is a US thing. Lager is a type of drink. Beer is another type of drink. Example, Budweiser is lager, Green King make mostly beer

6 hours ago, Jmoondance said:

There is an exception. Even if you have SSP, they will charge for bottles of wine or hard liquor.

And I assume that the best wine is by the bottle not by the glass  🤔 and as on every other cruise line they will save the bottle from one meal to another. 

3 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

And I assume that the best wine is by the bottle not by the glass  🤔 and as on every other cruise line they will save the bottle from one meal to another. 

As in any good restaurant, the best wine is by the bottle. However, on Viking, they have opened the good bottle and given us a glass each at dinner. We didn’t have to buy the bottle. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KBs mum said:

That is in the US, in most of the world (excluding moslem countries) that is at the upper end of normal, particularly if on holiday with no need to work or drive

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

Or 14/7 drinks per week is a standard.

Speaking of amateurs, Canada recently changed its "safe level" of alcohol use to 2 drinks per week.

I can only conclude that either we have firmly seized the ultimate moral high ground or we are vying for the title of laughingstock of the civilized (drinking) world. 🍻🥌 (my emoji just used up yet another week 🤬).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Let’s all have a drink and sort this out.🥃🍺🍸

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Aussies are twice as likely as any other nationality to exceed alcohol consumption guidelines. 

So, better make mine a double please.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2023 at 6:00 AM, sugarside said:

I understand that staff on board can issue a single pass if the other passenger can give documented evidence of drink related issues which prohibit alcohol consumption.

On line agents have not got this option according to another thread discussion I have seen.

Took three trips to Guest Services for our friend traveling with an underage grandchild.  Probably depends on the ship and the person you approach.

16 hours ago, Jmoondance said:

There is an exception. Even if you have SSP, they will charge for bottles of wine or hard liquor.

I think @millybessmay have answered my question on this but will ask anyway.  We have only sailed with Viking River, not VO--but will do our first cruise with the latter in May.  On VR we had the SSBP and they presented us with a list of bottles of wine every night.  We selected the one we wanted (I believe the price limit was up to $75) and they opened it and poured us glasses.  Never a charge that I'm aware of.

Is this a difference between Viking River and Ocean?  Or could it be the size of our group?  We were six at a table, so finished off each new bottle at the meal.

2 hours ago, loriva said:

I think @millybessmay have answered my question on this but will ask anyway.  We have only sailed with Viking River, not VO--but will do our first cruise with the latter in May.  On VR we had the SSBP and they presented us with a list of bottles of wine every night.  We selected the one we wanted (I believe the price limit was up to $75) and they opened it and poured us glasses.  Never a charge that I'm aware of.

Is this a difference between Viking River and Ocean?  Or could it be the size of our group?  We were six at a table, so finished off each new bottle at the meal.

Our group was 2 in Manfredi's and our experience was pre-covid.  We've done 1 post-covid cruise and the SSBP wines by the glass were to our liking so we didn't ask for a bottle of something else to be opened.  We cruise again on the 15th and they gave us the SSBP to compensate us for a different issue, so we will see if we run into the lack of good wine situation again.

We usually buy the SSBP.  Some days we get our money's worth, other days not, so it might be a breakeven sort of thing for us.  The reason we buy it is because we really dislike the idea of nickel and diming at the end of a trip.  DH would just pay the bill.  I would be the person that said "Well, wait a minute.  I'm not sure I had a mojito after that excursion".  It just saves us a hassle.

Edited by millybess
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, loriva said:

Don't have an answer, never been on Viking River.

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Took three trips to Guest Services for our friend traveling with an underage grandchild.  Probably depends on the ship and the person you approach.

Also where you are. As I understand it, in Europe the drinking age is 18 - same as Viking’s age. So I assume these trips were in the US or Canada. Am I correct?

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Also where you are. As I understand it, in Europe the drinking age is 18 - same as Viking’s age. So I assume these trips were in the US or Canada. Am I correct?

Varies by country, can usually drink alcohol earlier if accompanied by a parent, but not buy it until 18 

1 hour ago, millybess said:

Our group was 2 in Manfredi's and our experience was pre-covid.  We've done 1 post-covid cruise and the SSBP wines by the glass were to our liking so we didn't ask for a bottle of something else to be opened.  We cruise again on the 15th and they gave us the SSBP to compensate us for a different issue, so we will see if we run into the lack of good wine situation again.

We usually buy the SSBP.  Some days we get our money's worth, other days not, so it might be a breakeven sort of thing for us.  The reason we buy it is because we really dislike the idea of nickel and diming at the end of a trip.  DH would just pay the bill.  I would be the person that said "Well, wait a minute.  I'm not sure I had a mojito after that excursion".  It just saves us a hassle.

You can review your onboard account at any time on your TV. Doing so daily you would, presumably, be able to ID any bogus charges and address immediately instead of trying to remember everything at the end of a cruise. The only thing we ever noticed was drinks in the LR not being charged for whatever reason.

Edited by duquephart

Personally, when I am on vacation, I don’t want to feel like I need to review my account daily to make sure I have or haven’t been charged for a drink. I am on vacation. 

Purchasing SSBP is not indicative of being an alcoholic, as has been indicated on this board, on this subject, in the past. We enjoy it for the ease of choice, because we do not favor the included wines, and quite frankly do not drink them.  We also at times like a cocktail before dinner when we are on vacation. SSBP also includes the opportunity to attend some wine or cocktail tastings without charge.
 It is personal choice. Whether to order off a menu and be charged  glass by glass - or not. Whether it pencils out better, or not. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, duquephart said:

You can review your onboard account at any time on your TV. Doing so daily you would, presumably, be able to ID any bogus charges and address immediately instead of trying to remember everything at the end of a cruise. The only thing we ever noticed was drinks in the LR not being charged for whatever reason.

Yes, I'm aware of this.  I like Vineyard View's point of view. 🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

If you have SSBP, does it include liquors in your cabin fridge?

Some are conplimentary depending on cabin category. 

SSP covers room service in the same way as ordering in one of the bars, your room steward will be able to swap items or get others for you via room service