Walkie Talkies on an Oasis class ship (also did I catch a niner in there 😂)

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Admittedly, my children are young adults -- a couple years out of college -- so it's been a while since I used the kids' clubs.  If I remember correctly, back then they gave us a coaster-thing kinda like restaurants do, and they "beeped us" if the kid wanted to be checked out.  I suspect the system has been updated since then, but I'm sure the club has some way to contact parents and say, "Come now."  

I'd think 8 is too young to check themselves out.  

Again, if memory serves, parents had to give permission (during club registration) for kids to check themselves out.  I think all parents would like the idea of making that decision themselves. 

I just checked, kids 9 - 11 can be granted permission from their parents to sign themselves out.

5 hours ago, Cashsmoney said:

Yeah unfortunately I don’t have any old phones. I would have just got them iPod touch’s but they don’t make them anymore.

Take a look at eBay…..

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Every cruise ship walkie talkie conversation ever:

Hello?   Hello?    Are you there?

Hello?   Hello?  Hello?  Hello?

Can you hear me?  Hello?

Hello?

Are you there?

Hello?  Can you hear me?

Are you there? hello?  Hello?  Hello?

The same conversation happens for most old people on phone.  😂😂😂 Except they are much louder because they can’t hear.   

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, oasisorbust said:

Won’t the kids club notify you if the kids want to leave? My kids are in their early 20’s but we cruised a lot when they were younger. In fact they used to give us a pager because it was before everyone had a cell phone- let alone a smart phone 

On allure last year I’m pretty sure the answer was no.  Only for nursery.  For 3 and up you had to come check on them. There was no device they would/could give you.   In case of emergency they would make a public PA I guess.  

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

But of course there are no repeaters on cruise ships

But, of course there are, but the radio has to be set to the proper frequency to access the repeater.  This is how the crew get their radios to work.  And, yes, anything over 5 watts has to be listed on the ship's Radiotelephony Certificate, so approval from the Master would be required.

21 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

But of course there are no repeaters on cruise ships and the FCC has no juristiction outside US territory and waters. So FCC approved only means in the US. Use of GMRS at sea would have to be approved by the Captain. The rules would vary in foriegn ports. 

-Don't need repeaters to operate on GMRS/FRS freqs.

-A up to 2 watt radio will work fine without captains' permission. -Except for a very few places, bubble pack i.e, FRS/GMRS radios are allowed. They are considered toy radios. Never been in a Caribbean country where they weren't allowed, not that you would even use them when ashore.

And to others....I don't find the use to radios anymore annoying than the use of cell phones in public. Actually less so since very few use radios and everybody has their noses buried in their phones most of the time oblivious to their surroundings.

And to the OP....radios work, try them out for yourself. Don't pay attention to what others say.

Edited by mac66

18 minutes ago, mac66 said:

And to the OP....radios work, try them out for yourself. Don't pay attention to what others say.

So, if a $100 GMRS radio works so well, why is it that the cruise line invests in $700+ UHF radios and repeaters on their ships?