Typical dress code

MICHE99

Viking Ocean - same as always.

Elegant casual I think are words that Viking use.

Collared shirt for men, no jeans, no shorts.

Dress code is a hot topic most of the time because some experience a turn away from the restaurant for what they are wearing and some see others get by the gate keeper...

From the Viking site:

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM. 

Some shore excursions visit religious sites that require modesty of dress. To avoid being denied entry, we recommend men wear long pants and refrain from sleeveless shirts; and for women, clothing that covers the knees and tops that are not sleeveless or too revealing.

• Like 4

I had the same question last December, before our first Viking cruise. I found that about 99% of the passengers followed Viking's dress code. Viking attracts older and more affluent passengers. They don't mind wearing a pair of dress slacks to dinner instead of ripped camo cargo shorts and a stained sleeveless tank top, like Royal Carib's target market.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My advice is to abide by the dress code outlined by the cruise line. You won’t be happy if you are refused entry to a dining room. My pet hate is men who wear a baseball cap at the dinner table. It doesn’t happen often I hasten to add.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

My advice is to abide by the dress code outlined by the cruise line. You won’t be happy if you are refused entry to a dining room. My pet hate is men who wear a baseball cap at the dinner table. It doesn’t happen often I hasten to add.

Does this restriction apply to wearing my team's football helmet at the dinner table as well?
Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Our last cruise had a woman in a Pink Floyd shirt at dinner in the restaurant and two guys in robes at afternoon tea. 🙄

Standard of passengers definitely not what it was. 

Pink Floyd are a good source of piss take tunes though. ''All in all you're just another prat with no wall''

14 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Squawkman is correct....cancer, and not just due to hair loss. 

This may be another example where standards are different in the USA, as I was brought up in the same country as KBs Mum, where we were taught that gentlemen don't wear hats indoors and there were no exceptions.

Woe betide you, should you forget.

• Like 4

Same here Andy.  As to the few who might need to keep heads covered, seems a more appropriate medical head covering than a ball cap would suffice.  My English mother imparted the same rules as yours..  But then so did my teachers.  I bet just about everyone wearing ball caps in restaurants had mothers that at one time told them to take their hat off at the table....🍹

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Same here Andy.  As to the few who might need to keep heads covered, seems a more appropriate medical head covering than a ball cap would suffice.  My English mother imparted the same rules as yours..  But then so did my teachers.  I bet just about everyone wearing ball caps in restaurants had mothers that at one time told them to take their hat off at the table....🍹

Maybe they didn't get the "Thick ear" as a memory aid to future conduct.😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

This may be another example where standards are different in the USA, as I was brought up in the same country as KBs Mum, where we were taught that gentlemen don't wear hats indoors and there were no exceptions.

Hall of Fame Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry never wore his trademark fedora during an indoor game because his "mother wouldn't have it."

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Hall of Fame Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry never wore his trademark fedora during an indoor game because his "mother wouldn't have it."

Same with Bear Bryant in the NOLA Super Dome.

• Like 1

As a start towards correcting this classless behavior, I wish these offenders would at least loosen their ball cap as it seems it has restricted the blood flow to their brains to the point that they constantly forget to tuck in their shirt tail where the shirt is clearly tailored to be tucked. Sorry... something of a sore spot as I've had my ears boxed too many times. 🙂

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We're from the USA and we were taught no hats at the table. That being said, it does seem that basic etiquette/manners is lacking along with basic education in our schools.

• Like 3

Things are definitely getting more casual around here. We went to a fancy restaurant the other night, a frequent favorite, and I noticed a lot more people wearing jeans, sneakers, and, yes, baseball hats. (I also saw women in cocktail dresses and heels and men in classy shoes and collared shirts. No more suits and ties, though.) 

I know Viking requests no jeans in the restaurants in the evening, but I don’t remember: do they mention baseball hats? 

• Like 1