TxTeach79's GLORY-OUS 3/12 Spring Break NOLA LIVE

TxTeach79

Screenshot2023-03-0710_14_36AM.png.3c08daded26a2e46463fe454ec521301.png

In my ongoing quest for weird little oddball cabins on my solo sailings, I've grabbed 7345 right off the midship stairwell for this one. It's a lone 1A all alone on deck 7 mid, and every deck plan I've seen or thing I've read, it's oddly a little bit bigger than other cabins. Plus, word on the street (sea) is that instead of the typical 1A twin/bunk configuration, this one is larger and has the two twins on the floor. I'm interested in how it plays out. 

I love being on 7 on Conquest class ships because there are only cabins above and below you, and you're only two decks away from Promenade below and Lido above. Gonna try to make this a stairs heavy trip. Keyword TRY. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

So as of now it's an early early flight out of DAL into MSY on Southwest. Originally, being Spring Break, I was gonna make the drive from Dallas on Saturday, spend the night in NOLA, and then drive back the following Sunday. However, after the Great Southwest Meltdown of 22 got me on my MG NYE trip, I was "gifted" a lot of credits and points.... So, thanks for sucking?

An Update On The Southwest Airlines Meltdown

I leave DAL around 6am, arriving at MSY around 7:20. It's not ideal, but as of now the only flight that's reasonable to change to gets there around 4:30p and has a stop at IAH, so I'll probably just keep this flight, Uber to the hotel, leave my bag at the belldesk and knock around town, hoping for an early check in at some point. 

As for the hotel, this time around I've settled on the Loews New Orleans...

LOEWS NEW ORLEANS HOTEL $169 ($̶2̶2̶6̶) - Updated 2023 Prices & Reviews - LA

Loews New Orleans Hotel

I've spent a lot of time in NOLA, so I don't feel obligated to do and see everything, and this is the part of town I usually like to stay in. I'll likely walk across the street to Harrah's and hang there a bit, and it's walkable to a lot of stuff. I'm normally a Marriott Bonvoy guy, but if situations arise where none of their options are the best fit, I'm not THAT faithful. It's an open relationship. I've never had anything but good luck with Loews properties, and i got a *passable* deal on Priceline, so away we go.....

Originally we were going to fly, but with a group of 6, the minivan option won out on cost. We're staying in Hattiesburg the night before. We have about 11 hours/750 miles planned for Saturday as it is! 

But, if we were to drive all the way to NOLA (or flying in), that looks like an amazing hotel. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

You know we're on board. The Glory is Patti's favorite ship. Bring it on!! 😀

I've always had a soft spot for Glory. - Five sailings: 3 NYC-Canada, 1 Eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral, and a Western out of Miami. I've always said that out of all the ships I've sailed that Joe Farcus worked on, Glory is the one ship that doesn't have a lounge/restaurant where I said, "What was Farcus thinking?"😄

TxTeach79, I hope you enjoy your well-deserved vacation!

Edited by nybumpkin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

I've always said that out of all the ships I've sailed that Joe Farcus worked on, Glory is the one ship that doesn't have a lounge/restaurant where I said, "What was Farcus thinking?"😄

What?!?  Have you seen the White Heat Nightclub??  Or Bar Blue?  Or literally just about every location on the ship!  Lol, but I mean, that's what I love about her. 😆

Sidenote, we actually just got married on the ship in Bar Blue, so I'm definitely a lover, not a hater.  But come on, that ship is far from ordinary lol. 😃

Edited by StephPS79
  • Haha 2

So if you’ve followed any of my lives before, you know I’m a bourbon/beer/fruity Vacation rum drink guy. But lately I’ve been on a Margarita kick. Back to my roots, if you will. Between this recent craving and wanting to try the new Santo tequilas Carnival is carrying, I’m looking forward to a couple south of the border delights next week! 

C86580FA-567A-44F8-813E-C5159E166304.thumb.jpeg.695b6c5a8e1ebfcb6628e7e808bf3cf3.jpeg

Gloria’s house marg - a Dallas staple as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, StephPS79 said:

What?!?  Have you seen the White Heat Nightclub??  Or Bar Blue?  Or literally just about every location on the ship!  Lol, but I mean, that's what I love about her. 😆

Sidenote, we actually just got married on the ship in Bar Blue, so I'm definitely a lover, not a hater.  But come on, that ship is far from ordinary lol. 😃

Five sailings on her - yeah, I know her. Some spots are "out there," but I never found anything outrageous - like Miracle's dining room, which DH describes are being done in "early bubonic plague."😃 And I think I prefer the Farcus designs to the current cookie cutter spaces - face it, if you've seen one Red Frog Rum Bar, you've seen them all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Enjoy! My fav Conquest class is Liberty, but, I think my favourite is the Spirit class, especially Serenity. In a perfect world, the main pool on the Spirit class would be of the stadium seating variety. I like that you can be involved as you want or sit up and observe/enjoy the festivities without being in the middle of it all.

My next 5 cruises are on either Legend or Pride. I have a Caribbean Journey this year, then a B2B next spring, followed by a B2B of Bermuda & Greenland Journey ... LOL the boss doesn't know this yet and I may have to work a few days, but, I'm willing to suffer working in Bermuda!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Five sailings on her - yeah, I know her. Some spots are "out there," but I never found anything outrageous - like Miracle's dining room, which DH describes are being done in "early bubonic plague."😃 And I think I prefer the Farcus designs to the current cookie cutter spaces - face it, if you've seen one Red Frog Rum Bar, you've seen them all.

C’mon, what do you have against grapes??? 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

Oh, this is great! I need an inspirational live to get me through the next ten days until my cruise. And, we're hitting Belize and Cozumel, so perhaps I'll get some tremendous ideas from you. Unlike everyone else, I've never been to either port! 

Get through the last couple days. I used to be a school administrator, so I know the suck is real. You'll be sipping margaritas before you know it!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

Did I pre-buy this 50th towel because it was ten bucks? I pre-bought this 50th towel because it was ten bucks. 

CC7090C2-0328-4557-9B54-20316F2BECE9.thumb.png.004bfcc20b962ef2654999839696e3a6.png

I almost got it, but then I saw they had one with the Celebration on it.  So I got that one so I can have a Celebration towel delivered to my Celebration stateroom.  And also because it was ten bucks. 🙂 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sunshower9 said:

I almost got it, but then I saw they had one with the Celebration on it.  So I got that one so I can have a Celebration towel delivered to my Celebration stateroom.  And also because it was ten bucks. 🙂 

I saw that, and I liked that towel genuinely more. But, I’m a weird dude, and since I’m sailing Celebration NYE, I decided that was too far from the 50th to count, so it wasn’t really legit. Stupid? Absolutely. Nice to meet ya! 

• Like 3

DFB82F9B-F874-4399-9633-0EFBB4C7F003.thumb.jpeg.a0f7191665cf78b22b8de3536627eb11.jpeg

yep. That was a day! You don’t realize how dependent we’ve become on an internet connection for some of our lessons until the wifi decides to go down for an hour during your most challenging class of kiddos! CHEERS Y’ALL! #twodays 

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

DFB82F9B-F874-4399-9633-0EFBB4C7F003.thumb.jpeg.a0f7191665cf78b22b8de3536627eb11.jpeg

yep. That was a day! You don’t realize how dependent we’ve become on an internet connection for some of our lessons until the wifi decides to go down for an hour during your most challenging class of kiddos! CHEERS Y’ALL! #twodays 

What age and subject do you teach?  Middle school or high school....I REALLY feel for you LOL

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cacruisin said:

What age and subject do you teach?  Middle school or high school....I REALLY feel for you LOL

Fourteen years in middle school, all history/social studies. 6th grade geography the last three years. You know, such a stable age. (Wouldn’t wanna do anything else tho)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TxTeach79 said:

Fourteen years in middle school, all history/social studies. 6th grade geography the last three years. You know, such a stable age. (Wouldn’t wanna do anything else tho)

Middle School for me was where I met some pretty great teachers.  I think that age demographic needs teachers like you who keep them invested in their education.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Middle School for me was where I met some pretty great teachers.  I think that age demographic needs teachers like you who keep them invested in their education.👍

Well that's incredibly nice of you to say. I try. It's a heck of a tough time, man. 11-14 is absolutely wild and makes no sense. I'll tell ya this, no two days are the same.... (this is why I cruise)

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Knights on the Beach said:

We were on the Glory out of Port Canaveral in 2004 and it was my favorite ship until Mardi Gras. But I'll tell you, I'm happy that ship is coming back to PC next year. I'm looking forward to your cruise!

Heyyyy, there are my favorite Port Canaveralians....(????)! Thats great to hear! I enjoyed her too, but it's been a decade! Haven't been on a Conquest class ship since Valor in 2017, so I'm ready to be back!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

My son is currently in 6th grade social studies and he LOVES that class. So thanks to teachers like you who make it awesome for them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1