First Time Cruise-Princess Alaska

BlaznBayGrl

On 3/8/2023 at 4:10 PM, Thrak said:

We take magnetic hooks. We use them to hold paperwork on the walls, to hang our hats from, etc. If you do get magnetic hooks get really strong hooks - not some cheapo junk you might put on the refrigerator door. Strong magnetic hooks are readily available at amazon.

Make sure you have enough ports to charge your devices. The outlets on the ship are extremely limited. Do not take a power strip that has surge protection. It will be confiscated. Ship current is not the same as you have at home. Power strips or extension cords without surge protection are fine.

we are going on the Grand. How many outlets are in the cabin? , please

43 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

Figure one socket on the desk and, possibly, one where the TV is plugged in.  If you are in a suite, you might find more.

We travel with this "expander" (purchased on Amazon).  It is very compact, and it allows us to plug in four devices.

IMG_0528.jpg.4d07d767485f51262bc2ac35677352d5.jpg

We also travel with this USB expander (also purchased from Amazon).  It plugs into the standard wall socket and, as you can see, allows us to charge multiple devices--camera, telephones, tablets.

IMG_0529.jpg.a99f8fdf9a63a06fadce015e06d46d68.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, cruzfiend said:

Besides the ones that you see by the desk there are a couple on the wall under the bed. Those are either 220 or 240v. I cannot remember which style they are but I tend to travel with a bag of various adapters.

On the Grand Princess the base of the bedside reading lamps have USB power sockets.

Edited by brisalta

I quite often travel with an international adapter. It looks like the picture- I like the brand but it's not an endorsement as loads of companies make these. The adapter gives us extra capacity since ships usually have both type B (US) and type C (European) outlets- but only use this if you have electronics with the transformer embedded to make them automatically dual voltage (phones, laptops, etc do). An added benefit is if you're flying to and from the port- some older planes only have standard outlets instead of USB, a lot of times the US outlet is worn so the plug is too loose, but the European part is just fine.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51YYv5c95CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nemaihne said:

I quite often travel with an international adapter. It looks like the picture- I like the brand but it's not an endorsement as loads of companies make these. The adapter gives us extra capacity since ships usually have both type B (US) and type C (European) outlets- but only use this if you have electronics with the transformer embedded to make them automatically dual voltage (phones, laptops, etc do). An added benefit is if you're flying to and from the port- some older planes only have standard outlets instead of USB, a lot of times the US outlet is worn so the plug is too loose, but the European part is just fine.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51YYv5c95CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 

If you are going to use the European Outlet under the bed (for the bed lamps), be sure to get an adapter that will work with a European plug (so that you can plug the lamp in) AND either USB A and/or C power block or a US plug that will work with 240 V.  Most medical equipment and Apple products are dual voltage.

The Grand has USB (A) plugs on the lamps.  Very limited plugs on desk.  Bring a NON surge protector power bar.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I take clip magnets to hold the daily patters but more important, invitations and reminders .. just so they don’t get lost.  I’ve seen my friend hang her lanyard with the medallion right by the front door so she doesn’t forget to grab it on the way out the door.  

I really liked hanging my medallion by the door. Less likely to forget it. I would also put up my excursion ticket for the next day to remember.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sardog10 said:

Zeke, may I ask where you got that map of the coast? Looks like a fantastic reference to have!

It was inside the Alaska book sold in the gift shop. It was fun using it to try to figure out where we were. 

On 3/8/2023 at 11:22 AM, BlaznBayGrl said:

My friend and I are taking our first cruise ever to Alaska on Princess Royal in June but are so confused and need some help! Googling everything seems to be making us worse.. can someone help?!? 
1.  What decks are best if we are are Aft? 
2.  Was boarding and coming home times pretty much on time? We are buying out flights and unsure how much comfort room to give ourselves

3. what were things u brought with u that were definitely not needed 

4. I read that most didn’t need fancy clothes for this ship, is that common for you? 
5. other post said bring magnets but no reason on why and how many we need. 

thank you all in advance! 

1.  I'm not sure what you are asking, but with all hotel decks, you want to avoid the deck directly above any public venue, especially an entertainment venue, like the Vista Lounge, etc.  You want to avoid that first hotel deck above the public areas of the ship as a place like the Vista Lounge will have shows and music generally well past midnight.  Most people report that they can hear the music through the floor.  And you want to avoid the hotel deck directly below the Lido, you'll may get a lot of foot traffic noise or furniture movement noise.  The problem with the Royal class ships and the aft cabins is that the ship has a "fastback" rear, so all of the aft cabin balconies are only partially covered, some with more coverage than others, but none being fully covered.  This is a huge departure from the older Grand Class ships which have a galleon stern and the aft cabins are all fully covered.  Plus, you have no privacy on those balconies as folks that are standing on the public decks on the aft can look down a see your balcony.

2.  Give yourself plenty of time both on embarkation day and on disembarkation day.  I don't ever recommend arriving by air on embarkation day or departing by air on disembarkation day.  I always pad myself one overnight in the embarkation and disembarkation port to ensure that I'm in the port city on the day of embarkation and stay overnight and fly out at my leisure after a cruise.  I tend to be a tense traveler and this reduces my stress level so much.

3.  I can't think of anything that we didn't need.  I think the better question to ask is what should you bring.  Also, a better question is what didn't you bring that you should have.

Make yourself up a medpack.  It should include some basic first aid items, OTC meds for many different maladies; allergies, digestive, motion sickness, pain, etc.  In this day in age, I highly recommend a "dr. heal thyself" mentality to cruising.  If you have cruise or travel insurance (and if you don't, get it!) you can probably be reimbursed for a visit to the medical center, but a visit there will cost you hundreds of dollars out of pocket and charged to your onboard foilo for every visit, no matter how minor.  Go if you are actually injured.  Their medical staff is excellent.  However, if you have the sniffles, hit your medpack for an OTC that will provide you comfort.

Shoes are very important.  You'll need something nice for on board.  Something athletic if you use the gym or exercise on the top deck, and you'll want something that is waterproof or boot like for port days in Alaska.

4.  I'm a guy.  I pack slacks and a shirt and tie for formal nights, along with a nice pair of shoes that look good with slacks and a tie.  That is about as dressed up as I get.  I did a cruise once with a full, rented, tux.  It was cool, but a big pain to carry the tux on and off the ship, makes the luggage heavy.  Lots of other cruises I packed slacks, shirt, tie and a blazer.  Blazers get messed up in luggage pretty easily, and are bulky and heavy in luggage.  So, I'm down to pants, shirt and tie, and that has made my life so much easier.  Alaska tends to be less formal.  You'll fit in in the dining room most nights with nice pants and a decent shirt and nobody will bat an eye.

5.  Magnets to post paper work to the wall of your cabin, a lot like you would to your fridge.  Magnetic hooks for hanging up things like bags and purses.  I've never actually packed magnets.  We find other ways to hang things up and store things.  But it is a good idea.

Join your cruise's roll call in the roll call section of Cruise Critic.  You'll be in contact with other cruisers on your sailing.  They will also be asking for advice and providing information.  Plus you'll already be somewhat familiar with some of the people you'll meet on board.

Edited by jeromep
  • Like 1

Another useful hack my wife found online is purchasing an inexpensive, behind the door shoe rack. They’re usually made out of clear vinyl or plastic. They come with S-hooks and we hang it on the inside of the bathroom door.  It provides plenty of extra storage for those items you need but don’t necessarily want taking up precious counter space in a cramped bathroom. At the end of the cruise you take it off the door, fold it up and put it in your suitcase for the next cruise. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c88e9268a4e783e8509bbb58f00898f6.jpeg

On 4/16/2023 at 3:48 AM, Dlynna said:

I really liked hanging my medallion by the door. Less likely to forget it. I would also put up my excursion ticket for the next day to remember.  

Sorry if this is a dumb question….but as the medallion unlocks your cabin door when you approach, wouldn’t leaving it hanging near the door also unlock it? Or is there an additional manual lock inside the door?

19 minutes ago, Sandyren said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question….but as the medallion unlocks your cabin door when you approach, wouldn’t leaving it hanging near the door also unlock it? Or is there an additional manual lock inside the door?

Not a dumb question at all. The medallion does unlock the door but after a few seconds, it locks again. Yes there is also a manual lock inside the door.

2 hours ago, Sandyren said:

Often while inside the cabin I have the Medallion in a pocket and I am near the door.

It does not seem to unlock it if I am inside the cabin as I do not hear the "click" I can hear when outside the cabin as I approach the cabin.

On 4/16/2023 at 8:13 PM, Zeke Eak said:

It was inside the Alaska book sold in the gift shop. It was fun using it to try to figure out where we were. 

Yes!  We bought the book and the map for our Alaska cruise and also used magnets to mount it on the wall.  It was a great reference for mapping our progress and identifying some of the areas we sailed past.  I believe we purchased our book and map before we left, but they did sell it on the ship.