Galveston April 2024

Lorey2007

1 hour ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

There is something going on every weekend in Galveston, but not to the extent of Mardi Gras (February/March) or Lone Star Bike Rally (first weekend in November}

Just what I needed to know thanks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Just what I needed to know thanks.

Remember Galveston has Spring Break, high summer season , two first class Convention Centers with events happening year around.   And cruise lines Disney Royal MSC Princess MSC and Carnival are sailing now out of Island at some point during the year . 

This is similar to New Orleans . Timing is everything for hotel and vacation rental rates and the smaller crowds .    

2 hours ago, ssb said:

Remember Galveston has Spring Break, high summer season , two first class Convention Centers with events happening year around.   And cruise lines Disney Royal MSC Princess MSC and Carnival are sailing now out of Island at some point during the year . 

This is similar to New Orleans . Timing is everything for hotel and vacation rental rates and the smaller crowds .    

Shouldn't spring break be over in April or mid April?

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

Shouldn't spring break be over in April or mid April?

Yes but families begin coming down and lots of day trippers for the beautiful spring weather . Remember with Dallas, Houston ,  Ft Worth , SanAntonio, Austin populations so close and Galveston being drivable, they   keep coming to the water  for for the destination . 

Edited by ssb

On 3/9/2023 at 8:05 AM, Lorey2007 said:

Looking at Harmony 2024. Are there any weeks in April 2024 to avoid that might be bike week, festival, parades or other that would affect hotels etc?

The first weekend in April usually has a big ironman triathlon. Nowhere near the crowds of spring break and biker rally, but there will be more people here and hotels are likely to be more expensive. Late April is a great time to cruise out of Galveston. The spring breakers have died down and the weather calms down, so seas are usually better. Also look at when Easter is next year. In the last several years, Galveston has become quite the long Easter weekend destination. 

5 hours ago, MujerIsla said:

The first weekend in April usually has a big ironman triathlon. Nowhere near the crowds of spring break and biker rally, but there will be more people here and hotels are likely to be more expensive. Late April is a great time to cruise out of Galveston. The spring breakers have died down and the weather calms down, so seas are usually better. Also look at when Easter is next year. In the last several years, Galveston has become quite the long Easter weekend destination. 

Thanks, Easter is March 31 next year. We have decided on April 21st. Now I have to decide if we should fly in one or two days early.  Next I will be looking at hotels on the beach do you have any suggestions? What would a couple of older seniors do without a car. 

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

Thanks, Easter is March 31 next year. We have decided on April 21st. Now I have to decide if we should fly in one or two days early.  Next I will be looking at hotels on the beach do you have any suggestions? What would a couple of older seniors do without a car. 

If you won't have a car, it'll be tough. I'd stay on the east end somewhere, just because there are more things to do and places to eat within a reasonable walking distance. The Galvez is nice, but a bit pricey sometimes, depending on the season and day. The San Luis Resort has most things you'd need right on the property, but it's probably the most expensive place to stay in Galveston. I can give you better suggestions if you let me know what you're looking for. Staying downtown is a good option too. No beach, but close to everything, including the port. The Tremont House or Harbor House would be your options there.

• Like 1

There are many hotels along Seawall Blvd, beach front (not on the beach).  East of 25th there is a trolley that runs a few blocks on Seawall and does a circle to  downtown. Uber, Lyft and taxis are available on the island.  Staying anywhere east of 61st St., transportation will be very affordable. Check out visitgaveston.com for more information on the island.

• Like 2

We are seniors too.  Retired for a few years now.  We loved our first visit to Galveston for a cruise on the Prima in late October.   Hope you decide to come in two days early as we did.  We loved staying at the Tremont House and wandering around that area enjoying the great food and live music playing in many of the bars.   Very comfortable area to walk around and enjoy.  

• Thanks 1

I had to change our cruise date to 4-7-24. How bad will it be if we come in on Friday 4-5 due to that Ironman event? Will we be able to get around without a car or be able to see any sights or take any tours on Saturday?

On 3/14/2023 at 1:26 PM, Lorey2007 said:

I had to change our cruise date to 4-7-24. How bad will it be if we come in on Friday 4-5 due to that Ironman event? Will we be able to get around without a car or be able to see any sights or take any tours on Saturday?

Traffic shouldn't be too bad. The Ironman events themselves will likely be on the west end of the island, so they shouldn't interfere with your stay. If I didn't have a car, I'd want to stay downtown in The Tremont or Harbor House. If you stay on Seawall, yes there's a trolley. But it's slow and annoying. Some people like it though.

There are tons of tours to be had. Most will originate downtown or on Seawall, so a trolley could get you there. Once it gets closer, check out galveston.com or a similar website for available tours and times. The Duck Tour seems to be a fan favorite. You get on a bus that also doubles as a boat. So you tour around on wheels for a while and see things, and then you drive into the bay and do a little water tour. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MujerIsla said:

Traffic shouldn't be too bad. The Ironman events themselves will likely be on the west end of the island, so they shouldn't interfere with your stay. If I didn't have a car, I'd want to stay downtown in The Tremont or Harbor House. If you stay on Seawall, yes there's a trolley. But it's slow and annoying. Some people like it though.

There are tons of tours to be had. Most will originate downtown or on Seawall, so a trolley could get you there. Once it gets closer, check out galveston.com or a similar website for available tours and times. The Duck Tour seems to be a fan favorite. You get on a bus that also doubles as a boat. So you tour around on wheels for a while and see things, and then you drive into the bay and do a little water tour. 

Thanks so much for the info. Can you recommend  hotels on the Sewall that would be close to a CVS or store & restaurants. We are late 70's & DH walks with a cane slower than a snail. We would most likely arrive on a Friday afternoon so would only have Saturday to see some sights. Is the trolley like a bus line or a hop on hop off?

Edited by Lorey2007

8 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

... Is the trolley like a bus line or a hop on hop off?

Perhaps this will help: Trolleys | Galveston, TX - Official Website (galvestontx.gov)

🚎     🚎     🚎     🚎     🚎

And just like in the olden days... cannot use credit cards or bills! Please have exact change for the fare box since the drivers do not have the ability to make change for riders.