Koningsdam Bump Out Balcony Qx

mjmagee

Looking for info/opinions about balconies on the forward facing edge of the bump out sections of the ship, such as 5111, 6169 or 7134.  They appear to have longer than normal balconies but of course are on an angle. Are the balconies larger and does the angled shape of the room present any problems? Thx in advance.

Marilyn

3 hours ago, mjmagee said:

Looking for info/opinions about balconies on the forward facing edge of the bump out sections of the ship, such as 5111, 6169 or 7134.  They appear to have longer than normal balconies but of course are on an angle. Are the balconies larger and does the angled shape of the room present any problems? Thx in advance.

Marilyn

We were in 6052 on the the Nieuw Statendam in December.  That is an aftward facing angle cabin versus the forward facing ones you referenced.  With 3 in our cabin, we really appreciated the extra space the angle portion of the room provided.  It allowed them to put the desk beside the sofabed instead of across from it.  That provided an ample walkway in front of the open sofabed as compared to a regular cabin configuration that the sofabed nearly touches the desk when the bed is open.  I'm guessing the angle portion added about 35-40 sq ft to the room.

Regarding the balcony, it is bigger than a standard verandah cabin balcony due to the angle.  It is the same depth as a regular balcony but is wider due to the angle.  Using my seldom used high school geometry memory, if the cabin is 8.5' wide (that seems to be about the dimension), and the angle portion sticks out 8.5' further than a standard cabin, the balcony would be 12' wide instead of 8.5'.  That extra length made it easier to use both loungers with their footrests than can be done on a regular balcony.

We really enjoyed the view from the angled balcony because it provided a much wider angle of view from straight out to fully down the side of the ship.  If there was a drawback from having the angled room, it would be that the view out from the bed was not as good as from a cabin with a regular non-angled sliding door.  In my mind that was a minor tradeoff for having the larger floor space and larger balcony.

Regarding a forward facing versus aft facing angled deck, the aft facing one will get much less wind (and less mist or rain) when underway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmagee said:

Marilyn

I'll add that if you find you have one of those specific v-category cabins in mind, you might want to consider buying Club Orange when you book.  You can't do that online--has to be through your TA or through a call with HAL.  When you call, have them temp book you in the lowest cost balcony class - VH or Obstructed Balcony.  Then through the Club Orange benefit, immediately have them upgrade you no-cost to the V-category cabin you want.  In most cases, the Club Orange cost ($25/pp/day) is lower than the cost difference between VH and V cabins.  We did that and the price came in $60 lower than by booking the V-category cabin itself--and we got Club Orange.

You specifically asked about forward-facing balconies on the bump. You do realize that any time the ship is motion, say at 20 knots, even if the seas and wind are calm, you will have a 20 knot wind in your face. Aft-facing bump balconies are much more protected from the elements. The additional space is wonderful.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, twodjs said:

You specifically asked about forward-facing balconies on the bump. You do realize that any time the ship is motion, say at 20 knots, even if the seas and wind are calm, you will have a 20 knot wind in your face. Aft-facing bump balconies are much more protected from the elements. The additional space is wonderful.

Yes. Just can off the Rotterdam 3/8 where we had cabin #5051. We had an aft facing, on the bump, balcony. Fantastically large balcony with two standard chairs plus two reclining chairs with foot rests and small table. Could have entertained at least 5-6 more people, plus ourselves, on the balcony and had plenty of room.

• Thanks 1

We had 5096 on the Koningsdam this February. It was the balcony next to the bumpout. It is definitely deeper and wider than the straight on balconies and was wonderful. We were forward of the bumpout and yes, when it was windy, it was windy...however, the balcony being deeper gave a deeper sitting area which made the winds not so bothersome. The other advantage to this style balcony is that on the sunny side, if you dont want constant sun exposure, the inside half is always in the shade. I do have a photo, if I can figure out how to post it.

My cruise friends used CO to book V6143 for our upcoming 16 night TA on Rotterdam (leaving 4/3).  I'm sure they won't mind me coming down the hall from my interior cabin to hang out on their large balcony.  After all, I was the one who found these "special" cabins and that 6143 was the only one available, so I should get some use of the balcony.  Right? 😁

• Like 1

Thank you for all your input.  Decided on V5141 a rear facing largish balcony on the edge of the bump out.  Was able to pick it up as a CO upgrade from a VH for almost a thousand dollar savings!

Marilyn

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2023 at 7:59 AM, NCTribeFan said:

My cruise friends used CO to book V6143 for our upcoming 16 night TA on Rotterdam (leaving 4/3).  I'm sure they won't mind me coming down the hall from my interior cabin to hang out on their large balcony.  After all, I was the one who found these "special" cabins and that 6143 was the only one available, so I should get some use of the balcony.  Right? 😁

I just booked 6128 to Alaska — it’s the mirror of 6143 with the large balcony. After you return from your cruise, please come back to let us know whether the bump out balcony lived up to your expectations. Bon voyage! 

This was last Aprili on the Rotterdam 150th Anniversary TA.  They loved the cabin and balcony but since it was a north Atlantic crossing, they didn't get as much use of it as they would've liked.  We stayed on for following 2 5-night sailings.  They moved next door, which also had a larger balcony, only not quite as large.  Best part was the connecting cabin door, which made the move very quick and simple.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

This was last Aprili on the Rotterdam 150th Anniversary TA.  They loved the cabin and balcony but since it was a north Atlantic crossing, they didn't get as much use of it as they would've liked.  We stayed on for following 2 5-night sailings.  They moved next door, which also had a larger balcony, only not quite as large.  Best part was the connecting cabin door, which made the move very quick and simple.  

Thank you so much for coming back to reply. Our friends actually have the cabin next door that adjoins 2128 as well, also with a connecting cabin door. We liked the way this set up looks on paper, so it is really helpful to hear the positive feedback. We are a bit worried that these are quad cabins — I read a recent post that there may be a risk of couples being bumped from quad cabins if there is a family that needs the space. I truly hope that does not happen to us!