Are $2 bills appreciated for tips?

2 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

I believe they get some time off on occasion. Certainly at the end of their tour.

Even if they could get off in a US port, I don't think banks would perform this conversion for them unless they held an account there.

5 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

I’ve already done this.   And non of them have refused a 2.00 bill.  
like I said.  29 days at sea.    Not one refusal.    At port or at sea.   

So your saying you offered either $2 or 2x$1 and they always take the $2?  Come on... Stop lying 😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

I was responding to someone that said they can go into a US bank and convert them. 

You quoted me a same type of question.  

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

No, it's a serious question. Are they allowed off on the days that ships are in US ports? What about ships that don't even go to US ports?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

They had sealed bands of 100 of them in the drawer.  They didn’t come from a cruiser.    

But why did they have it... Cause they know cruisers ask for it?  Were you just randomly given $2 bills or did you request it?  

Again cruising industry keeping $2 bills alive in 2023.  They prob laugh about it.

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I guess you think all cruises call at US ports.

I know that not all cruises stop in the U.S. I was giving a possible scenario on how staff could convert two dollar bills. Do you know how they bank their cash tips?

9 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

No.  Most have U.S. visas that require them to immediately go home at the end of the contract.  They get put on buses to the airport just like pax who buy airport transfers (sometimes the same buses).

They're tired from working every day for ~8 months and just want to get to back to their family in their home country.  The last thing they want to do (even if they could) is find their own ride to a bank (that may refuse to serve them without an account) then the airport while they're hauling ~8 months of luggage because some pax thought they were cute tipping with $2 bills.

I think what he was referring too is not at the end of contract.  But the end of a 7 day cruise while loading new pax      Or in a us port during a cruise.

to answer him.  Like someone said most banks won’t deal with you if you don’t have an account.  
But you could take that suitcase full of 2.00 to the ships bank.   Like they do with 1,5,10,20,50,100’s.      

• Haha 1