First time cruise (Alaska Aug 8-18) Questions about private excursions, solo packages, OBC

stephanie1968

Hello! My family (myself, husband 55, father 83 and daughter 16) are all going for our first cruise ever with Oceania in Aug to Alaska on the Regatta. I have found this forum to be super helpful, but even after hours of perusing I am still confused about a few things (especially the Olife packages). I appreciate any guidance on any of the following. I am planning to call our booking agent (we booked directly) later today and was hoping for some clarity before I call. 

Private excursions -- From my reading here, it seems like often a better deal to book the higher end excursions privately. 2 questions about that. First, if you book them yourself, how do you manage transportation to the town or starting point of the excursion? Are there Alaska-specific issues I should know about? Second, does anyone have comments on "must have" Alaska excursions? And how to go about researching them (obviously I can google around but wondering if there are specific sites or hints for finding good ones).

Cabins -- we have booked 3 Concierge Veranda rooms, and have been given one "GTY" room with cabin unassigned, and A2 levels 6000 and 7084. My father and daughter are each getting their own rooms. Does anyone have any feedback on these rooms? I'm not sure what the "guaranteed" room means, and wondering if I should push to get a cabin assigned? I would like to get at least two of them close together because my daughter would like to be close to us.

Concierge level -- I chose to pay for the concierge level mostly because I liked the idea of the spa deck, but now I am wondering if this will be useful on an Alaska cruise in August? Does anyone have pictures or comments on the spa deck of Regatta? My father is mobility impaired so will likely be staying on the ship for many of the port days while we will be out, so wondering if this would be a nice option for him? After reading here and looking at the excursion list, I don't think the "free" excursions in the Olife package are ones that are appealing to us, so I may see if I can downgrade if the spa deck is not that great.

Early boarding -- why? From what I've read it seems that the early boarding is chaotic and you have to wait no matter what. What is the benefit of getting there early? Our boarding is at 1 and depart at 5--I thought arriving around 230 or 3 would suffice?

Wifi -- I was shocked that there is only one log in per cabin allowed, and that you have to pay extra for streaming! That seems outrageous given the price point in these highly virtual times. Can anyone comment on the quality of the wifi? And I am wondering if it would be possible to tether from a mobile hotspot (if my husband logs in, can I use his phone as a hotspot? I am not usually one to try to skirt the rules, but 30 per day seems absurd!)

Solo -- I have read the contract repeatedly and cannot wrap my head around how the Olife perks are given to a solo traveler? Does a solo traveler get 3 excursions and $300 OBC or 6/$600? 

thanks in advance for any help! We are super excited!

40 minutes ago, stephanie1968 said:

Early boarding -- why? From what I've read it seems that the early boarding is chaotic and you have to wait no matter what. What is the benefit of getting there early? Our boarding is at 1 and depart at 5--I thought arriving around 230 or 3 would suffice?

Hi Stephanie,

I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions...

Early boarding was pretty much eliminated during post-cruising start-up (and all of the testing, vaccination, health questionnaire processes). Hopefully this perk will return soon, but we're not there yet.

Only benefit to being early is if you want to eat lunch on board at Terrace/Waves.

There will be a latest time you can check in, but 2:30 to 3 sounds reasonable.

45 minutes ago, stephanie1968 said:

Wifi -- I was shocked that there is only one log in per cabin allowed, and that you have to pay extra for streaming! That seems outrageous given the price point in these highly virtual times. Can anyone comment on the quality of the wifi? And I am wondering if it would be possible to tether from a mobile hotspot (if my husband logs in, can I use his phone as a hotspot? I am not usually one to try to skirt the rules, but 30 per day seems absurd!)

O wifi stinks compared to land-based wifi. Sometimes it is good-ish (Zoom calls work, pix upload/download etc.) and other times it's slower than molasses (checking text email is like dial-up was) and other times it doesn't work at all. It exists, but don't depend on it. You can always access land-based wifi in ports just like you would on a land-based trip. Tethering - I believe people do it (but the downside is if the connection is slow, it will be even slower with a tether).

52 minutes ago, stephanie1968 said:

Cabins -- we have booked 3 Concierge Veranda rooms, and have been given one "GTY" room with cabin unassigned, and A2 levels 6000 and 7084. My father and daughter are each getting their own rooms. Does anyone have any feedback on these rooms? I'm not sure what the "guaranteed" room means, and wondering if I should push to get a cabin assigned? I would like to get at least two of them close together because my daughter would like to be close to us.

Guaranteed means that you are guaranteed to get that category (A2?) or higher (A1, PHx, etc.), but it will be assigned (so location may be bad for some people whose needs vary...like seasick if forward).

6000 is at the very front of the ship. People either love these cabins or hate them. Love...the view. Hate...a lot of movement (=seasick for some, also probably bad if mobility issues) and high winds while ship is moving (sometimes the veranda furniture is strapped down.

7084 is near the elevator/stairs - good for your dad with mobility issues. Also as close to center of ship as an A2 gets which is also good for minimal movement.

As far as getting rooms near each other, have you looked at adjoining cabin availability? If a veranda is not a "must", I'd also look at the solo-cabins on deck 6 for your daughter and possibly father, then get a deck 6 cabin for yourself/spouse. The bathrooms in anything A1 and below are tiny, so the main differences are bedroom size (no couch and smaller in solos; As and Bs are identical) and yes/no veranda. If the spa deck is desired, you can get a day pass (I think it was about $25 per day, but prices have increased on other things so....?)

4 hours ago, stephanie1968 said:

Private excursions -- From my reading here, it seems like often a better deal to book the higher end excursions privately. 2 questions about that. First, if you book them yourself, how do you manage transportation to the town or starting point of the excursion? Are there Alaska-specific issues I should know about? Second, does anyone have comments on "must have" Alaska excursions? And how to go about researching them (obviously I can google around but wondering if there are specific sites or hints for finding good ones).

When I book a private excursion I request pick up at the cruise terminal or very nearby, 5 to 10 minute walk max.

Cruise Crituc’s sister site TripAdvisor.com is a good place to research available private excursions or small group tours.  Or simply Google “port name day tour” or “port name cruise tour” and. you will get lots of options.    Also check out the Ports of Call section here on Cruise Critic for recommendations or tour companies to avoid.

I only do private excursions.   You are in control and you often see so much more sometimes for a lot less.

Joe.   

• Like 1

Concierge level -- I chose to pay for the concierge level mostly because I liked the idea of the spa deck, but now I am wondering if this will be useful on an Alaska cruise in August? Does anyone have pictures or comments on the spa deck of Regatta? My father is mobility impaired so will likely be staying on the ship for many of the port days while we will be out, so wondering if this would be a nice option for him? After reading here and looking at the excursion list, I don't think the "free" excursions in the Olife package are ones that are appealing to us, so I may see if I can downgrade if the spa deck is not that great.

I enjoy the spa deck, but it is not anything super special.   It has a large powerful saltwater jacuzzi and several plush lounge chairs.   That is all.   It can be calmer and quieter compared to the pool deck.   That said I would not pay significantly more for access, especially on a port intensive cruise like Alaska.

Do you have a travel agent?  If you do they should have explained the stateroom locations and guarantee with you.   Also most cruise lines do not allow a guest less than 18 to occupy their own stateroom unless it is a connecting room.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

No, I don't have a travel agent--I called Oceania directly. I may have fallen to pressure by putting down a deposit on my first call because he said there was very limited availability. I had not looked into the differences between rooms at the time.  I don't know if there is even any other availability--I plan to call tomorrow with questions and investigate other options, but I wanted to get all my research done first. 

Hello! My family (myself, husband 55, father 83 and daughter 16) are all going for our first cruise ever with Oceania in Aug to Alaska on the Regatta. I have found this forum to be super helpful, but even after hours of perusing I am still confused about a few things (especially the Olife packages). I appreciate any guidance on any of the following. I am planning to call our booking agent (we booked directly) later today and was hoping for some clarity before I call. 

Solo -- I have read the contract repeatedly and cannot wrap my head around how the Olife perks are given to a solo traveler? Does a solo traveler get 3 excursions and $300 OBC or 6/$600? 

thanks in advance for any help! We are super excited!

I personally love the spa deck, but when recently on the Regatta found I could pay for it by the day (which worked for me as I was in a solo obstructed view cabin)

If you are in Ketchikan and looking for a great private tour, consider a Flight Seeing trip if you are not averse to small float plane touring.  Look up Islandwings.com. Michele is a wonderful pilot and started her company 30 years ago.  Our first and only float plane pilot we trust for an amazing experience. She will provide a better trip for a lower price than the ships similar tour. 
If you are going to Icy Point Straight, that is another wonderful port call and some great tours are available to see nature, including bears. 
Have a great trip,

Mauibabes

1 hour ago, stephanie1968 said:

Thank you! Is there a way for me to check availability on the web site without having to call?

if on the website it show the category available   then call   & find out  what the cabin number is

Or ask you TA or who booked with  to check for cabins near one of the others

2 hours ago, stephanie1968 said:

Thank you! Is there a way for me to check availability on the web site without having to call?

Go to the cruise on O's website:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/alaska-cruises/seattle-to-seattle-REG230808/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%23time_frame%3D2023-8%26ship%3DREG%26sort%3Dfeatured%3Adesc%26page%3D1%26pageSize%3D10

Click on any of the links in the "Availability" column.

Choose 1 or 2 people depending on who you are shopping for; if you choose "2" the solo cabins will show as unavailable even if they are available for 1 person.

Check Yes or No for air.

Click "Next step" in bottom right; a pop up will appear...click "Continue as Guest" at the bottom of the pop up.

The next page shows each cabin category and it's availability. Your cruise is very full, however near/at final payment, people cancel and rooms open up...that's when you can grab a better cabin, so keep an eye on availability from now until final payment.

Click on a cabin category that has "Available". The next page shows you available cabin numbers. However it only shows a maximum of 7. So, keep clicking "View All" and it will show a bunch of random cabin numbers each time (very annoying). Some cabins have multiple decks too.

No, I don't have a travel agent--I called Oceania directly. I may have fallen to pressure by putting down a deposit on my first call because he said there was very limited availability. I had not looked into the differences between rooms at the time.  I don't know if there is even any other availability--I plan to call tomorrow with questions and investigate other options, but I wanted to get all my research done first. 

You can still switch to a different cabin, a different cruise, and change O-Life (if you chose OLife, you got the OLife Ultimate "all 3" offer I hope since it is offered for this cruise...double check your documents). The deadlines for changes and final payment are listed on your docs.

Have your TA do it. 
you can also do a mock booking and look manually through way too many screens since each time you look at availability it only shows a selection.

I sure hope you booked with a TA who shares commissions. Otherwise, direct booking with O is throwing some TA rebate $ down the drain.

If you have booked the cruise within the last 30 days you can still transfer the booking from Oceania to a travel agent. You may be overwhelmed by the types of agents representing Oceania but the best are the Connoisseur and Preferred agencies. Unfortunately we are not permitted to mention agents by name on Cruise Critic. Not only do they have more clout they can offer additional perks. They are familiar with everything you need to know to prepare for your adventure.

Initially your 16 year old daughter should not be booked into any cabin unless it is adjacent or across the hall (inside cabin) within close proximity to you or your father. You can get around this by booking her with you and booking her father anywhere. Once on board you can move her. 

You can see all available cabins by doing a mock booking. When you talk to your Oceania agent have a deck plan handy. If there is any way to change 6000 do so. It is not the best site for a first time cruiser. 7084 is in a good stable location. There also isn't much advantage to a concierge class cabin on this ship. Specifically seek out cabins between the elevators for your first cruise. The single cabins on deck 6 are ocean view with wide windows but are below the life boats with limited visibility. They are perfectly fine and are probably less than either your father or daughter occupying a cabin priced for two if that is a concern.

Alaska is a port intensive itinerary so think about logging in to wifi, making calls etc while in port. Do this off the ship to avoid ship charges. Access is available everywhere. It's the US.

Things to do.....whale watching from either Hoonah - Icy Straits or Juneau. If you are going to Skagway think about an independent tour to Carcrosse Canada. Take the train sitting on the left side on the ascent. There are multiple options. Float planes and helicopters to the glaciers are easily self booked. All of the tours are easily booked independently and the guides will pick you up adjacent to the ship or pier. 

Please do two things. Join the ROLL CALL for your sailing. Go to the Roll Call forum, click on Oceania then Regatta and look for your sailing date. 

Check out the Destinations forum for Alaska. You should find information about the ports and guides there. There will also be advice for activities your father can participate in. There is no need for him to confine himself to the ship in most of the ports.

Alaska is awe inspiring and we are heading back there shortly after your cruise.

Also, when considering OLife or no Olife (cruise-only), the internet access on board has nothing to do with OLife, i.e., every cabin gets one login no matter what fare they booked. The advertising and T&Cs don't make this clear at all.

The search phrase you want for a TA is "Oceania Connoisseur Club". I use a bread and butter local TA, but now that I am kind of addicted to O, I am thinking of changing.

• Like 1

I’m really surprised they let you book a separate cabin for your 16-year-old. I thought one had to be at least 18 to stay in a cabin by themselves. Go to WhatsInPort to find out what kind of sights/shows are in each port you will visit. I agree with what someone else said about using TripAdvisor to book. Most can be canceled up to 24 hours before, and a lot don’t make you pay until 24 hours in advance. Type in the town name and search “things to do.” Viator, ToursByLocals and VentureAshore all have experience getting people back to their cruise ship on time. In Juneau, the dock is right in the middle of town. There’s a cable car that leaves right from there and has a ticket window. In Sitka and Skagway, the town’s not far at all. White Pass Scenic Railway is a must-do in Skagway. You can walk there in the morning and just buy tickets yourself without an excursion. When you come back you will have time to walk around the town. There are great wildlife cruises out of Sitka. We saw bald eagles, sea otters and whales. The lumberjack shows are really good, and there is a totem pole park near one of the towns. Mendenhall Glacier out of Juneau (far away from port) is a great place to see and has walking trails plus has a visitors center that shows a film. There are also restrooms there. If you can swing it, the helicopter rides up to a dogsled base camp are fantastic in Juneau, Skagway and Seward. 

On 3/12/2023 at 8:23 PM, mauibabes said:

If you are in Ketchikan and looking for a great private tour, consider a Flight Seeing trip if you are not averse to small float plane touring.  Look up Islandwings.com. Michele is a wonderful pilot and started her company 30 years ago.  Our first and only float plane pilot we trust for an amazing experience. She will provide a better trip for a lower price than the ships similar tour. 

Plus 1 re:  Islandwings.com.  My son and I had a great flightseeing trip to Misty Fjords from Ketchikan with Michele.  Spectacular weather and views throughout the flight.  Probably overstating the obvious, but go/no go for the flight is weather-dependent, not just in Ketchikan but also in Misty Fjords. 

All the above comments are great. I would highly recommend the helicopter with dogsled excursion in Juneau. The cost is pricey, $650ish, but worth every penny. The thrill, pictures and memories will prove priceles especially for you you dad and daughter. Not strenuous. The best singe travel experience since walking the Great Wall in 1986. We privately booked it,  with pick up and return to the ship. The lumberjack show is fun though corny, but cheap and next to the ship, a short walk away. Have fun.