First time

jerseymariner

All tips are included but they have a "Crew Welfare Fund" that we donate to.  You just leave the envelope at the front desk or I think they can add to your bill (not sure about that) and this way the money benefits everyone including those who work so hard behind the scenes that you never see.

• Like 1

I know everybody is different regarding the tipping protocol, so I think it will be up to what you feel comfortable doing.  No right or wrong. That said, as veterans of 14 SD cruises, we usually tip prior to disembarkation so as to not miss any of our favorites.  There is a fund you can donate to but we prefer the individual recognition. Again, your preference.

Edited by cabosal1
addition

As cabosal notes, it is really what you are comfortable doing.  For our part, with about 25 cruises under our belts, we started contributing to the crew fund as soon as we learned about it.  When Piaa says it benefits everybody, she isn't meaning that the money gets distributed to the entire crew.  Just as it says, it is a welfare fund to provide for special needs, either individually or for everyone.  Our way of giving individual recognition is by making special mention of people or actions in the evaluation form we complete at the end of the cruise.  That way management knows who is deserving of special recognition.  The crew members know we love and appreciate them by our returning a couple of time a year.  And if you let the concierge know a couple of days before the end of the cruise, it will just be added to your final bill.  You will get a letter of appreciation.

After all these years, we’ve come to wonder what it means when “gratuities are included” - we’ve never thought to ask what it really means in dollars and cents and to whom/how.   We get the sense the ratings cards really, really matter - more than we ever knew.  We hadn’t always filled them out, but lately we do to make sure the crew gets the recognition and positive feedback they so richly deserve.  We also hear the tip allocation varies by job function.  We always provide direct tips to the room stewardesses who work so hard, cleaning rooms twice a day and then some.  Same for waiters who are particularly helpful and we see often.  Especially given how many were out of work during Covid, our personal philosophy - and everyone has to decide for themselves of course  - is if one can afford a SeaDream voyage, one can afford to go the extra mile to help the wonderful crew who make it all possible.  As noted by others, the “crew fund” doesn’t necessarily go to all individual crew (or at least that’s our impression, we welcome insights from others).

Edited by JES4845
Grammar
  • Like 1

I would never discourage anyone from extending recognition in the form of money, but my take on "gratuities included" is that the proprietor, whether it is a cruise, a resort, or a restaurant, has made a decision to pay their employees well enough that they are not dependent upon the whims of the customers.  Of course, that means the price you pay reflects the proprietor's increased payroll cost.  When crew members leave SeaDream, my impression is that they are leaving the industry and not going to a line where they can make more money.  My understanding of the welfare fund is that it covers unexpected expenses that a crew member might incur, such as having to fly home for a family emergency.  And that isn't just the waiters and stewardesses, but includes the guys you see wearing the blue or white jumpsuits who keep the ship moving and the toilets flushing.  I have been told that crew parties, for instance, do not come from the welfare fund, but are paid by the company.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TrapperZimmy said:

Hey, Jim.  Royalty?  Not sure who you mean.  And we don't sail for another month.

Well, in some lower  circles he has been known to use the code word "HO-Hum".  You didn't hear it here.😎🥃

• Haha 1

Seadream used to be adamant that individuals not be tipped but they seem to have loosened up on that recently.  We have never tipped individually and always given to the crew fund. While I understand tipping the cabin steward, you would be hard pressed to pick which waiters, bartenders and other staff to tip.  It is a team effort.

So, I just got off SDI on Sunday and spoke to a crew member about the welfare fund and was told that it can be distributed weekly or they will keep for an event.  Basically he said that if you gave (for example) $100 to the fund then each crew member would get $1 in their next payroll ... we chose to give to each crew member that made our sail extra special.

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

This is straight out of the current Welcome Aboard information.  SeaDream fares include gratuities. Simply writing a note of thanks may reward extraordinary service. For guests insisting on giving something extra we kindly ask you to make a donation to the onboard Crew Welfare Fund that benefits all crew members.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks again for all your advice. Making final payment today and can’t wait for our trip. 
I do have a follow-up question though. Since this will be a repositioning trip to the Med, would you recommend Euros for any individual gratuities as opposed to USD?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jerseymariner said:

Thanks again for all your advice. Making final payment today and can’t wait for our trip. 
I do have a follow-up question though. Since this will be a repositioning trip to the Med, would you recommend Euros for any individual gratuities as opposed to USD?

If we tip individually we would tip in dollars because many of the crew will be sending money home, which I assume is better in dollars.  We give to the welfare fund, which is paid in dollars. 

Edited by garysarah
  • Haha 1