Crown Grill - Should I Bother ??

kjg46

54 minutes ago, warren buffet said:

greetings. are you saying that you feel that the rib eye or sirloin or whatever variety of red meat in the MDR that is being offered that night is consistently just as good as the crown grill filet?   

No I do not. I think it is a step below Crown Grill. Though they have cut down the number of beef entrees in the MDR and the ones they offer are odd (veal strip loin that is not very good).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Just now, Coral said:

No I do not. I think it is a step below Crown Grill. Though they have cut down the number of beef entrees in the MDR and the ones they offer are odd (veal strip loin that is not very good).

the crown princess to hawaii was just now in march offering beef tenderloin (some nights) and sirloin steak (most nights) in the main dining room?   you did not have that offered on yours ?

1 minute ago, warren buffet said:

the crown princess to hawaii was just now in march offering beef tenderloin (some nights) and sirloin steak (most nights) in the main dining room?   you did not have that offered on yours ?

I did a 16 night cruise in November and the menus were were pretty disappointing (I am allergic to seafood). There were some versions of a tenderloin a few times. Sirloin not as frequent. They have since changed the menus since then. My next cruise will be 11 nights soon so we will see. On that cruise - they switched salad dressings on me (Europe ones) so I stayed away from salads which often is my go to when I don't like the entrees. Maybe it was me but the menus were just not inspiring and what I ordered was even less once I got it. By no means did I starve. And I am sure I gained weight on the cruise.

On 3/17/2023 at 6:08 AM, Plato123 said:

We tried the Crown Grill twice on our recent Royal Princess cruise and were disappointed both times.  We did enjoy Sabatinis, especially the Osso Buco on the very new menu. We also found their pasta to be excellent. In our view much better value and ambiance than the Crown Grill.

We do wish they had more Italian wines by the glass and within the Premier package..

While we probably will not try the Crown Grill again if we cruise on Princess, I should note that the food we had was not dissimilar to the Tuscan Grill on Celebrity, but it was a lot less expensive.  As for beef and veal we consider Sabatini's our favorite and should note that they had a special "Super Tuscan" wine pairing dinner on our cruise.  Not all the wines served were Tuscan, but they were all excellent and it was an enjoyable curated wine and food experience,  The price was $60 a person and it was worth it.

Our only disappointment was that the last course before dessert was a huge piece of rare tagliata of  beef that while delicious, was way too much and we noted most people just could not finish it.  The ship made limoncello did help with digestion.

IMG_20230304_092904_044.jpg

20230309_183953.jpg

On 3/15/2023 at 5:54 PM, kjg46 said:

We will have a family cruise on the Enchanted Princess this summer. One of our dining options would have us making reservations for seven adults at the Crown Grill. From the reviews I have read it seems the Crown Grill food is lacking not only on the Enchanted but also on the Regal and the Royal. Would Sabatini's be a better choice?

Food is objective but fwiw, we were on the Sky in February and found Crown Grill to be quite good in service and quality.

We just got off the Ruby Princess as first time Princess sailors and Sabatini’s far outshone Crown Grill in every way. My husbands filet was delivered raw 3 times. My steak was really tough (hard to cut or chew) so I traded it out for a filet (medium cook ordered) and it was delivered raw also. So we gave up and went to the buffet. The really nice waiter we had said they have a new chef and “many people” were sending their steaks back recently. The best thing they had was the garlic cheese bread.

Just now, NoelleC said:

We just got off the Ruby Princess as first time Princess sailors and Sabatini’s far outshone Crown Grill in every way. My husbands filet was delivered raw 3 times. My steak was really tough (hard to cut or chew) so I traded it out for a filet (medium cook ordered) and it was delivered raw also. So we gave up and went to the buffet. The really nice waiter we had said they have a new chef and “many people” were sending their steaks back recently. The best thing they had was the garlic cheese bread.

is a similar garlic cheese bread ever offered anywhere else?

39 minutes ago, NoelleC said:

I hope to have it figured out by my Ruby princess ship ride on May 27

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, FrankieJayIII said:

I hope to have it figured out by my Ruby princess ship ride on May 27

We went to the Crown Grill on the Royal last week and it was outstanding.  I think everyone got the lobster, if that is of any importance.  I do think the lobster in the dining room has greatly improved, though.  Had I known that, I would have probably ordered the sea bass.  It is always incredible.  

On 3/15/2023 at 3:54 PM, kjg46 said:

We will have a family cruise on the Enchanted Princess this summer. One of our dining options would have us making reservations for seven adults at the Crown Grill. From the reviews I have read it seems the Crown Grill food is lacking not only on the Enchanted but also on the Regal and the Royal. Would Sabatini's be a better choice?

We just got back from Ruby.  We ate at Sabatini's and it was okay. My main problem was that, after waiting for the entree for quite awhile, I got veal instead of the chicken I had ordered.  The waitress insisted I had changed my order which I hadn't. They offered to re-do it but we had already waited for so long that I wasn't interested. We did not eat in Crown Grill since it is too much food for me for one meal.  So I ordered the filet in the main diining room for $19 instead of the $39 in Crown Grill and it was superb.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2023 at 5:06 AM, Plato123 said:

While we probably will not try the Crown Grill again if we cruise on Princess, I should note that the food we had was not dissimilar to the Tuscan Grill on Celebrity, but it was a lot less expensive.  As for beef and veal we consider Sabatini's our favorite and should note that they had a special "Super Tuscan" wine pairing dinner on our cruise.  Not all the wines served were Tuscan, but they were all excellent and it was an enjoyable curated wine and food experience,  The price was $60 a person and it was worth it.

Our only disappointment was that the last course before dessert was a huge piece of rare tagliata of  beef that while delicious, was way too much and we noted most people just could not finish it.  The ship made limoncello did help with digestion.

Assuming my sailing on the Royal has a Super Tuscan wine dinner, where do I sign up for this?  I am assuming when I first board but where do I go to ask if there will be one?

On 4/3/2023 at 5:06 AM, Plato123 said:

IMG_20230304_092904_044.jpg

Edited by chefchick

On 6/12/2023 at 8:19 PM, chefchick said:

Assuming my sailing on the Royal has a Super Tuscan wine dinner, where do I sign up for this?  I am assuming when I first board but where do I go to ask if there will be one?

Our waiter in Sabatini's told us about it on our second or third night on the cruise, but I would just ask the maître 'd at the entrance. I collect Sassicaia so I was interested. If you are a food blogger or something alike they might comp you.  We weren't.

• Thanks 1