thermal spa ask

Eldy90066

9 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Thanks for this insight!  I only have one booking number for the 14 day sailing.  While others may be buying one week increment cruises, ours is the 14 day sailing.  It's curious why they won't open up the ability to book either the first or second week or allow one booking for 14 days.   i guess they want to give more people the opportunity to purchase spa access and just upon availability on board, be able to book more.

It's a stupid computer thing. The same problem exists with tours. To you, it's a 14-day cruise, but to HAL's system, it's two 7s. If you want to book a tour for your second week, don't wait until you're onboard. Just as you can't buy the second spa week during the first leg of your cruise, you can't buy tours for the second week until that leg starts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's a great place to relax. There is soft music playing in the room with the heated loungers (note that the two R class ships have the heated loungers in the room with the jacuzzi, not in a separate room). There are very nice loungers and chairs in the hydropool room, but I don't recall music. I love it in there when nobody is in the pool and the only sound is the gentle sloshing of the water as the ship moves. 

@Grandma7as 3rdGen said, there are loungers available for just hanging out- I always see people reading. Just be sure you're doing the bulk of it in the loungers by the hydro pool (again the sloshing water is quite relaxing) or in the tranquility waiting rooms (awesome views) as the heated ceramic loungers are meant for 15-20 min at a time. Making the rounds of all 3 would be nice 😊

• Like 1

18 hours ago, queen_kathy1 said:

Thanks for this insight!  I only have one booking number for the 14 day sailing.  While others may be buying one week increment cruises, ours is the 14 day sailing.  It's curious why they won't open up the ability to book either the first or second week or allow one booking for 14 days.   i guess they want to give more people the opportunity to purchase spa access and just upon availability on board, be able to book more.

I called HAL and they said a 10 day package was available for purchase over the phone  for our cruise. It doesn’t show on the app or the website. We are considering it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 11:48 AM, Eldy90066 said:

Hi there,

I don't see an answer to your question so I will give you some of my tips that have worked for me in the past. 

If possible I try to get a place on the rods at one end.  That way I use one had to grasp the rail to stop me from floating away :).  I also will take a towel in with me and role it up behind my neck.  I've worked in the computer industry for over 40 years so sometimes my neck hurts.  This helps a lot.

If I can't get a spot on the end once I lie down I'll take one had a sort of grasp the bar near my bottom to help me from moving around to much. 

Since the Hydro Pool has minerals in it you aren't supposed to stay in longer than 20 minutes so I find this tips will help be relax and enjoy for about 15 minutes.  I then go over to the middle and enjoy the stronger jets and the strong shower spray against my neck. 

Then I head for the heated beds :).

I've traveled with others who have bought these passes and since you can go as often as you need it is a great value.

I will admit though we did not like them on the Koningsdam.  I'm not sure if it was the passengers on our cruise but folks were treating the Thermal Pool as a "hot tub" (lots of chatter, laughing etc) and even the thermal beds were being used like a social gathering.  It was not relaxing at all.  I hope this has improved (we haven't been on the Koningsdam in quite a while).

I hope you find a way to enjoy the

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

Hi there,

I don't see an answer to your question so I will give you some of my tips that have worked for me in the past. 

If possible I try to get a place on the rods at one end.  That way I use one had to grasp the rail to stop me from floating away :).  I also will take a towel in with me and role it up behind my neck.  I've worked in the computer industry for over 40 years so sometimes my neck hurts.  This helps a lot.

If I can't get a spot on the end once I lie down I'll take one had a sort of grasp the bar near my bottom to help me from moving around to much. 

Since the Hydro Pool has minerals in it you aren't supposed to stay in longer than 20 minutes so I find this tips will help be relax and enjoy for about 15 minutes.  I then go over to the middle and enjoy the stronger jets and the strong shower spray against my neck. 

Then I head for the heated beds :).

I've traveled with others who have bought these passes and since you can go as often as you need it is a great value.

I will admit though we did not like them on the Koningsdam.  I'm not sure if it was the passengers on our cruise but folks were treating the Thermal Pool as a "hot tub" (lots of chatter, laughing etc) and even the thermal beds were being used like a social gathering.  It was not relaxing at all.  I hope this has improved (we haven't been on the Koningsdam in quite a while).

I hope you find a way to enjoy the

Your description of how to use the rods is what I do. 

I've seen people chatting in the thermal pool, but not usually loud. And not on the thermal beds. That's a relaxation/quiet area. I hope it was just an unusually loud group and it isn't happening all the time. The problem with the thermal beds on K'dam is that they're in the room where you enter the thermal suite, so people walk in and out, talking. On the other ships, the thermal beds aren't in a thoroughfare. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Your description of how to use the rods is what I do. 

I've seen people chatting in the thermal pool, but not usually loud. And not on the thermal beds. That's a relaxation/quiet area. I hope it was just an unusually loud group and it isn't happening all the time. The problem with the thermal beds on K'dam is that they're in the room where you enter the thermal suite, so people walk in and out, talking. On the other ships, the thermal beds aren't in a thoroughfare. 

The issue we found with the Thermal Pool was it had seats and not really "beds" so I think people treated it more like a regular hot tub to socialize in.  I agree with you about the way they designed the K'dam and placement of the thermal beds.  I actually made that comment to them and said I hope it won't like this on your future ships (we were on the K'dam shortly after it launched).  We haven't been on some of the more recent ships so can't comment.  The K'dam was the only time we experienced this "chatter".  All of our other experiences have been great.

3 hours ago, BSR said:

What is the cost of a 1 day pass?

Typically $50. If you decide after using it that you'd like a weekly pass, they will usually let you upgrade and pay just the difference.

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Typically $50. If you decide after using it that you'd like a weekly pass, they will usually let you upgrade and pay just the difference.

Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Ouch! That's high. At that price, they should charge just the difference if you upgrade. I bought the 10-day pass on my last cruise and it was $196. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Ouch! That's high. At that price, they should charge just the difference if you upgrade. I bought the 10-day pass on my last cruise and it was $196. 

7-day is usually $149, so that's about right. And paying $99 to upgrade is a good deal if you use it. I personally live in there, so I maximize my investment,  lol.