San Francisco embarkation area?

Clampram

On 3/20/2023 at 11:19 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I think I may need to check my dates.  
Ahh yes, ours is April 30th on the Royal.  
The Embarcadero will be crowded that day.  The Royal will be at Pier 27 and the Ruby will be at Pier 35.  
That ought to be fun!  

If you can use our MUNI use the F line that stops right at Pier 27.  It also stops at pier 35. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Since I’ve traveled solo I wanted to sit with others at the same table each night & they only once did they agree to  let me have the same table each night. My table was called “Papas Table” & many people wanted to sit there. Was your table with other people or by yourself?  For me cruising is meeting other people each night. I’ve made some long time friends at dinner & I could eat at by myself at home. . My experience since the Pandemic is much different than before. 

I was on an Alaskan cruise last years on Carnival & the 1st night at dinner I said that I would leave if they didn’t have a share table & that changed everything. 

Tom😀

By ourselves.  Since the shutdown, it seems that most of the tables are individual, even for solo travelers.  Also, because the Royal currently caters to a demographic that seems to receive different information about Covid and is distrustful of the U.S. CDC, they seem to try to honor those concerns.  I don't think it is likely that you will find many shared tables.  We used to like those and have met a few people that we have become friends with, or were people that I already knew (SF born and raised) or people that knew people that I grew up with. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Even better. 

Tom😀

Tom, being local do you know if there is any shuttle service from airport to pier 27. Last time we sailed out of San Francisco we used Super Shuttle. There are 4 of us. Will have Princess transfers just in case no shuttles.  

12 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Couldn't you just take the F street car to the pier?

We could but we’ve found it is sometimes just easier to walk if we have carry on luggage.  It is all flat and just under a mile .. plus, the views are remarkable.  

I must add, we may take BART if we were to walk to the pier 

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

By ourselves.  Since the shutdown, it seems that most of the tables are individual, even for solo travelers.  Also, because the Royal currently caters to a demographic that seems to receive different information about Covid and is distrustful of the U.S. CDC, they seem to try to honor those concerns.  I don't think it is likely that you will find many shared tables.  We used to like those and have met a few people that we have become friends with, or were people that I already knew (SF born and raised) or people that knew people that I grew up with. 

We usually like our own private table with our party, whether that be just the two of us or a whole group of us.  They’ve usually been very accommodating.  At lunch, we usually don’t have that choice, though.  

15 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Tom, being local do you know if there is any shuttle service from airport to pier 27. Last time we sailed out of San Francisco we used Super Shuttle. There are 4 of us. Will have Princess transfers just in case no shuttles.  

I would recommend either UBER or LYFT which I what I use when going to & from the Airport. The shuttles like Super Shuttle have mostly gone away & for me were more expensive. I like going straight to where I’m going. Once from San Pedro I chose a cheaper option where they made several stops before arriving at the airport. Never again. 

Once I’m at the baggage claim I check both Uber & Lyft for prices. They pick you up across in the parking garage & there are different number zones so you just pick a zone number. 

Hope that this helps. 

Tom😀

4 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I would recommend either UBER or LYFT which I what I use when going to & from the Airport. The shuttles like Super Shuttle have mostly gone away & for me were more expensive. I like going straight to where I’m going. Once from San Pedro I chose a cheaper option where they made several stops before arriving at the airport. Never again. 

Once I’m at the baggage claim I check both Uber & Lyft for prices. They pick you up across in the parking garage & there are different number zones so you just pick a zone number. 

Hope that this helps. 

Tom😀

Thanks Tom.   Right now we have Princess transfers for the 4 of us -$34 each. Will check out Uber

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We could but we’ve found it is sometimes just easier to walk if we have carry on luggage.  It is all flat and just under a mile .. plus, the views are remarkable.  

I must add, we may take BART if we were to walk to the pier 

Agreed. And with increasing PD on Bart it'll be even more attractive 

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We usually like our own private table with our party, whether that be just the two of us or a whole group of us.  They’ve usually been very accommodating.  At lunch, we usually don’t have that choice, though.  

On our last cruise we had the same table for dinner every night, and most days for breakfast and lunch.  This was on the Royal.  At breakfast on the last day, we jokingly asked the restaurant manager to hold that table for us as we would be back in about 6 weeks. 😂

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, trbarton said:

Yes the F line Street Car is an excellent idea. Get off at the Jazz Cafe, pier 23. Remember that you need exact change to ride on our MUNI system. 

Tom😀

Do they allow luggage on F?  Even if luggage is allowed, do you want to take it on a (in my experience) crowed street car?

2 hours ago, damiross said:

Do they allow luggage on F?  Even if luggage is allowed, do you want to take it on a (in my experience) crowed street car?

Agree, My experience is you might very well be told “no”.  The F car is often crowded and the one of the conductors’ main concerns, besides safety, (rightfully  so) are for those who need help.  I’ve seen the conductors make people move out of the way and give up seats to accommodate those who need it.  I can just imagine the response if folks tried to board with luggage.  We walk.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, damiross said:

I've only done it once.  Our last cruise was a 5 day cruise; we only took 1 pullman case.  When we got off the ship at around 9:30, the street car was hardly crowded.  It became more occupied with passengers coming off the ship, but everyone still had a seat.  We then took the N Judah to the Cal-Train station, took the train to Santa Clara and then took a VTA bus home.  It was all kind of an experiment.  It did take about 2.5-3 hours, whereas it would only take about an hour if someone had picked us up.  Luggage is allowed on almost all public transit.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 2:26 PM, Cruise Raider said:

If you happen to be scheduled for pier 35, it could be hours on the sidewalk waiting to get into the terminal but it’s doubtful they will have you board at pier 35 after the fiasco last year.  

I don't think Pier 35 is big enough for the Royal, it pretty much has to be Pier 27.  You may notice that there is no long a Pier 25. 

Edited by SiliconCruiser

37 minutes ago, milolii said:

Agree, My experience is you might very well be told “no”.  The F car is often crowded and the one of the conductors’ main concerns, besides safety, (rightfully  so) are for those who need help.  I’ve seen the conductors make people move out of the way and give up seats to accommodate those who need it.  I can just imagine the response if folks tried to board with luggage.  We walk.  

I’ve had no Luggage problems on the F line from my personal experience, plus I’ve leaved here since 1967. People will often offer you their seat. Just my opinion. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I don't think Pier 35 is big enough for the Royal, it pretty much has to be Pier 27.  You may notice that there is no long a Pier 25. 

You’re right, the piers were not designed for the large ships we now have. That’s why pier 27 is needed. 

Tom😀

37 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Here is the Port of San Francisco cruise ship schedule for the year 2023.

https://sfport.com/files/2023-03/2023 San Francisco Cruise Schedule 2023-03-22.pdf

11 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Thanks Tom.   Right now we have Princess transfers for the 4 of us -$34 each. Will check out Uber

That’s $136. I never have paid that munch for UBER or LYFT. Remember with the shuttle you could be waiting awhile why they wait for other people. I’ve heard too many stories as to how long people waited on the shuttle. 

I’ve 35+ cruises with Princess & I don’t remember the last time I used a Princess Shuttle. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

On 3/22/2023 at 11:03 AM, coo359a2 said:

A cab would probably be just a little more than half of that.  A ride-share XL size vehicle would be about half.  Public transit would probably be a bit cumbersome, depending upon the amount of luggage.  The cab or ride-share wouldn't have you waiting for a bus to fill up.

21 hours ago, brisalta said:

Here is the Port of San Francisco cruise ship schedule for the year 2023.

https://sfport.com/files/2023-03/2023 San Francisco Cruise Schedule 2023-03-22.pdf

I don't think that one is right either.  It's showing the Ruby and the Crown in port at the same time from October through the end of the year.  

They still need to update it .. 

8 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don't think that one is right either.  It's showing the Ruby and the Crown in port at the same time from October through the end of the year.  

They still need to update it .. 

Are you aware that we have 2 terminals, pier 27 & Pier 35?  Pier 35 is our old cruise terminal & can actually take 2 smaller ships at one time. Larger ships have to use pier 27.

Tom

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Are you aware that we have 2 terminals, pier 27 & Pier 35?  Pier 35 is our old cruise terminal & can actually take 2 smaller ships at one time. Larger ships have to use pier 27.

Tom

I am absolutely aware of that.  My comment was based on the fact that the Ruby is heading over through the Panama Canal on Oct 22nd and ending up in Florida on Nov 6th ... but they show her at Pier 27 on Oct 29th and beyond.  So, the schedule needs to be updated.  I think only the Crown will be in SF past October of this year.  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am absolutely aware of that.  My comment was based on the fact that the Ruby is heading over through the Panama Canal on Oct 22nd and ending up in Florida on Nov 6th ... but they show her at Pier 27 on Oct 29th and beyond.  So, the schedule needs to be updated.  I think only the Crown will be in SF past October of this year.  

It seems you are correct. Just now I searched at princess.com for cruises originating from San Francisco and sorted by date. The result is that only the Crown Princess is currently scheduled to embark in San Francisco after the Ruby departs for the Panama Canal.

One could email the Port O f San Francisco and ask when they are going to update the published schedule.

I then searched just for Ruby Princess and found that there is a hole in its schedule from toward the end of the year into early 2024.  I wonder if the Ruby will be going into dry dock for a major refit during that time?

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1