Which Ship / Itinerary?

tj_shopper

We are planning an Alaskan cruise for May 2024.  There are so many itineraries and so many options.  We want to stick with Royal Caribbean and it's a bummer that it doesn't go to Glacier Bay, but I'm okay with that as this is our first Alaskan cruise.  The few we are thinking about are:

1.  Ovation of the Seas - 8 days - larger ship - Vancouver, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, Endicott Arm, Ketchikan, Seattle
  2.  Radiance of the Seas - 7 days - smaller ship - Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait, Ketchikan, Vancouver
  3.  Brillance of the Seas - 7 days - smaller ship - Vancouver, Inside Passage (AK), Sitka, Juneau, Haines, Tracy Arm (Twin Sawyer Glaciers, Inside Passage (AK), Vancouver
  4. Radiance of the Seas - 7 days - Anchorage (Seward), Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Haines, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Inside Passage, Vancouver

We have never been to any of the places.  Is it better to start at one port and return to same port or better from one to another?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

Others will probably disagree with me, but for a first time cruiser to Alaska I think it's a mistake not going to Glacier Bay National Park.  My advice is to choose a different cruise line.

I would agree. Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm can be iced out in May. Endicott Arm is the least desirable but would be accessible. If the goal is to see Alaska - see the most you can see.

I also agree that Alaska is about ports and times in ports. Pay attention to this.

Also - large ships can not often sail inside passage from Vancouver to Alaska.

While a long time ago - RCCL was my least favorite in Alaska. They did not have a Naturalist onboard and no Alaska talks whatsoever (except for shopping). Alaska is not the Caribbean.

There are plenty of other lines who have 2 glacier days in Alaska on one way itineraries in case you miss one (which can happen in May).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dfilpus said:

What I would look at first is the time that you are in port. Alaska is all about the ports. The longer you are in port, the more options you have for excursions. 

This is important. Many pick ship first and don't look at times. Then they come back with 2-10 pm times in Juneau and realize they can barely do what they want to do with these times.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

We went on RCCL (Radiance Class) - Northbound one way and it was a great cruise.   I would not prioritize getting a large ship, there are drawbacks to mega ships.   One-ways are a more efficient use of time and likely longer port times.   I like Northbound just because Vancouver is a great departure city - you can stay one or two nights there ahead of time.  

• Like 1

We were on the southbound Radiance and loved it.  I would book the train from the ship to the airport or reverse.  I would also say spend an extra day in both Seward and in Vancouver (at least 1)

• Like 2

I am one that also thinks RCCL does a poor job in Alaska. HAL and Princess are superior in Alaska. And they do Glacier Bay. I would look into other lines. The smaller ship the better in Alaska.

Edited by Casey12

We are doing a cruise with RCCL this May similar to #3 with the addition of Skagway. We had very specific dates to travel and were restricted to Vancouver round trips, so found that RCCL had by far the best price for what we were looking for. If Glacier Bay is important to you, there are other ways to see it. For instance, you can take a scenic flight with Mountain Flying Service out of Haines over Glacier Bay. 

Since OP says they are ok missing Glacier Bay, and I can understand that there may be additional factors in this decision, based on this question I would recommend the one way itineraries if you have the time/money. These will take you further North and if you have a bit of time pre/post cruise you can see even more of Alaska! Keeping in mind that flights will be more expensive since you will need 2 one way flights rather than a roundtrip. If you don't have the time to explore Alaska further on the one ways and would prefer not to spend the extra money on flights, then the roundtrip from Vancouver would be my choice. 

• Like 1

I have been on multiple lines and would not do Royal Caribbean again. They were my least favorite in Alaska I am guessing they are cheapest because they don't go there.

Glacier Bay via air is definitely a different site than via ship. Both good but different.

Princess and Holland are the most popular and there is a reason for it.

I also agree with Hubbard being missed frequently in May. So is Tracy Arm. Glacier Bay makes the most sense. Expand your horizons and look at other lines.

1 hour ago, aroundtheworld96 said:

We are doing a cruise with RCCL this May similar to #3 with the addition of Skagway. We had very specific dates to travel and were restricted to Vancouver round trips, so found that RCCL had by far the best price for what we were looking for. If Glacier Bay is important to you, there are other ways to see it. For instance, you can take a scenic flight with Mountain Flying Service out of Haines over Glacier Bay. 

Since OP says they are ok missing Glacier Bay, and I can understand that there may be additional factors in this decision, based on this question I would recommend the one way itineraries if you have the time/money. These will take you further North and if you have a bit of time pre/post cruise you can see even more of Alaska! Keeping in mind that flights will be more expensive since you will need 2 one way flights rather than a roundtrip. If you don't have the time to explore Alaska further on the one ways and would prefer not to spend the extra money on flights, then the roundtrip from Vancouver would be my choice. 

I guess I'm okay missing Glacier Bay because I don't know anything about it.  I haven't had the time to do a lot of research and just thought I'd ask for opinions.  I'm pretty loyal to Royal and not sure I want to go on another cruise line.  I know others will disagree with me, but that's just my preference. 

I would definitely consider the one way itineraries if it gives us more time to see things as we wouldn't need to go round trip back to original port.  I never thought about the time spent at each port so I will definitely go back and see how long we are at each port.  Thank you everyone for recommending that we do that.

1 hour ago, tj_shopper said:

I guess I'm okay missing Glacier Bay because I don't know anything about it.  I haven't had the time to do a lot of research and just thought I'd ask for opinions.  I'm pretty loyal to Royal and not sure I want to go on another cruise line.  I know others will disagree with me, but that's just my preference. 

I would definitely consider the one way itineraries if it gives us more time to see things as we wouldn't need to go round trip back to original port.  I never thought about the time spent at each port so I will definitely go back and see how long we are at each port.  Thank you everyone for recommending that we do that.

The one way itinerary opens up more of Alaska, and you connect through Seward so the Alaska Railroad is a great option too or from Anchorage.  We have done the bus once and the train once.  The bus is quicker but the train is better.

• Like 2

Just now, misguy said:

The one way itinerary opens up more of Alaska, and you connect through Seward so the Alaska Railroad is a great option too or from Anchorage.  We have done the bus once and the train once.  The bus is quicker but the train is better.

The train sounds great.  Thank you!  I will look for one way itineraries.

We're actually doing the one way itinerary for Europe.  We're boarding in Rome and getting off in Athens.  Airfare was more expensive but we get to spend a couple of extra days at both ends.

• Thanks 1

We have been to Alaska three times (and going again in a month).  Our favourites are Skagway (the train trip) and Ketchikan (everything).  We are going to Sitka for the first time this trip.  Alaska is beautiful, and each port offers very different things.  Glacier Bay is lovely, and we are happy to be going there again, but you will find amazing things to do in every port.

I agree with the poster that mentioned to check the times - it makes a huge difference.

And a one way trip definitely provides you with more ports ... if you think you will not go back again, then I would definitely consider the one way trip.  One thing - it was difficult leaving out of Anchorage - lots of sitting around in the airport for all of us 🙂

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

We went on RCCL in late May some years back and had the most amazing and clear day seeing Hubbard Glacier. I know it could have easily gone the other way. But on the day we were there, the glacier was magnificent!  

We'll be doing the Northbound Vancouver to Seward in July 2024 with our kids and grandkids, again on RCCL. I am sorry that Ketchikan is not a port on our route this time, But I am happy with the cruise line we chose. It was not the cheapest for our dates but I love all the glass of their ships on the Alaska route and I love ending up in Seward with easy access to Kenai Fjords NP and easy train to Anchorage. 

I only wanted to do a one-way cruise and I think I prefer northbound so that the scenery gets more stunning each day. Plus Vancouver is a fun city to start from...arriving a few days early to spend time there. I was not interested in starting and returning to Seattle as we want to spend some land time on our own in Alaska post cruise and fly home from Anchorage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kickboxrca said:

We have been to Alaska three times (and going again in a month).  Our favourites are Skagway (the train trip) and Ketchikan (everything).  We are going to Sitka for the first time this trip.  Alaska is beautiful, and each port offers very different things.  Glacier Bay is lovely, and we are happy to be going there again, but you will find amazing things to do in every port.

I agree with the poster that mentioned to check the times - it makes a huge difference.

And a one way trip definitely provides you with more ports ... if you think you will not go back again, then I would definitely consider the one way trip.  One thing - it was difficult leaving out of Anchorage - lots of sitting around in the airport for all of us 🙂

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you!  We've never been to Alaska so I feel like any port would be great.  I am sad that RC does not offer Glacier Bay, but I'm sure we'll just have as great of a time.  I think I am definitely leaning towards the smaller ship - Brilliance or Radiance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surgie said:

We went on RCCL in late May some years back and had the most amazing and clear day seeing Hubbard Glacier. I know it could have easily gone the other way. But on the day we were there, the glacier was magnificent!  

We'll be doing the Northbound Vancouver to Seward in July 2024 with our kids and grandkids, again on RCCL. I am sorry that Ketchikan is not a port on our route this time, But I am happy with the cruise line we chose. It was not the cheapest for our dates but I love all the glass of their ships on the Alaska route and I love ending up in Seward with easy access to Kenai Fjords NP and easy train to Anchorage. 

I only wanted to do a one-way cruise and I think I prefer northbound so that the scenery gets more stunning each day. Plus Vancouver is a fun city to start from...arriving a few days early to spend time there. I was not interested in starting and returning to Seattle as we want to spend some land time on our own in Alaska post cruise and fly home from Anchorage. 

Thank you!  We hope that we'll have a clear day too seeing Hubbard Glacier if we end up going on that cruise.  I am definitely leaning towards Brilliance or Radiance with all the glass and it's a smaller ship which will be better for us getting through the inside passage from what I heard.

We also do not want to start and return to Seattle as that would be time taken away from traveling to Alaska.  We heard great things about Vancouver and would love to spend a couple of days there before the cruise.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

I get the Glacier Bay folks, but I ended up doing Radiance last year and am doing it again this year.  I don't know how close the ships get to the glaciers there, but I was MORE than pleased with my time in Seward where we got 1/4 mile away from a glacier and we were there for quite some time.  If you end up doing one way on Radiance, and you want glaciers (sadly I kinda got glacier fatigue by the end), I would make sure to do a Kenai Fjords tour in Seward to get up close and personal with a glacier or two (our boat got closer to the glacier than the ship excursion to Hubbard).  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

I get the Glacier Bay folks, but I ended up doing Radiance last year and am doing it again this year.  I don't know how close the ships get to the glaciers there, but I was MORE than pleased with my time in Seward where we got 1/4 mile away from a glacier and we were there for quite some time.  If you end up doing one way on Radiance, and you want glaciers (sadly I kinda got glacier fatigue by the end), I would make sure to do a Kenai Fjords tour in Seward to get up close and personal with a glacier or two (our boat got closer to the glacier than the ship excursion to Hubbard).  

You can also try Glacier Point Wilderness Safari excursion out of Skagway (or Haines I believe) for a very up close glacier experience.   It is not the tall towering glacier like Hubbard, however.    It was a great excursion I thought.

• Like 1

We took Celebrity Millennium to Alaska last year, and we're very pleased with the naturalist they had on board! Daily talks about what we might see the next day were always SRO.

I heard she would be returning this year, unfortunately, I can't remember her name.

We did a one way Vancouver to Seward.

• Like 1