Aruba excursions

In January 2024 myself and a group of friends are going on the Odyssey and one of our ports is Aruba.  We are all veteran cruisers but none of us have ever been to Aruba.  Any input on a good excursion where we can get a good feel for the island?  I'm looking at the Hidden Gems excursion but am concerned that the description states the activity level is strenuous.  Is it because of the caves?  If anyone has done this excursion, I would love to hear how you liked it...or didn't like it...and also any recommendations on a different excursion.   TYIA

I did the Snuba offered in Aruba and it was a lot of fun.  You take a bus ride and then get on a short ferry to a private island. They have beach chairs that you can hang out in and little water park, food and open bar.  You have to snuba before you drink, but it was one of the best excursions I've done through Royal.

I had a timeshare in Aruba and visited quite often...if you google the name of the tour it should come up with some trip advisor reviews.  Anything going through the national park tends to be an adventure...ie unpaved roads....it's amazing that half the island is overbuilt and the balance is in its natural state...authentic and beautiful land.  

• Like 1

Our first trip to Aruba years ago we did a royal excursion that was a bus tour with a visit to the natural Bridge, seeing that side of the island is quite different than where we dock.   Our tour also included a trip up to the CA lighthouse.   Beautiful area.  Then we had 1 hr break at Eagle beach.

The tour guide was very informative.   

For first timers I would recommend a tour like this to see various places.   

We have since been to Aruba several times by cruise and land vacations.  One of our favorite islands.

• Like 1

I can't offer any specific comment on what you are asking.  However, I can say that Aruba is a beautiful place.  I've only been there once and to my complete surprise, it's a "DESERT" island, similar to Arizona along with Gold Mining.  And there is a little of Utah, with the natural bridges.  It's a great place.  

P1010347.JPG

P1010370.JPG

P1010379.JPG

We visited Aruba for the first time earlier this year and we loved it! If you are adventurous, I recommend renting UTV’s and exploring the north side of the island. We rented from Jean’s Rentals and had a great experience. We saw the lighthouse, goldmine, natural bridges, ostrich farm and more. After returning the UTV’s late afternoon we took a shuttle bus from the cruise port to Palm Beach area for dinner, drinks and shopping. It was a long day and we were exhausted by the time we got back on the ship but we had a blast and can’t wait to go back!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

We have done the UTV tour most recently in January 23 and enjoyed it.  Pre covid we were in Aruba and did a similar driving tour but in Jeeps.  We enjoyed both.

Here’s some pics of the places we visited on the UTV tour.  I also did a live review if you want to look it up.

A84DEAE1-2281-4E61-BE91-4358142378B9.thumb.jpeg.57af7957d5edde2fbef4277db401965d.jpeg

65E0D67C-12BD-44FD-89D6-8BCC9B6F2012.thumb.jpeg.eba43d235f9965a68e2e4a6122c0148d.jpeg

3359DD37-5399-4FC4-A147-EC8C6DF9976C.thumb.jpeg.05ac272e9a59ba17674e921d9f5492ca.jpeg

6B6BADBB-AA8B-45F2-A571-21DE2C66C908.thumb.jpeg.bf79eae3b6aa2a3dcd3900bf3da15a63.jpeg

3A4024D6-961B-4881-BB4D-AF5C57E380AF.thumb.jpeg.02745db5e935905ecd5ec39861c7fe1f.jpeg

F0C54A8C-FCA3-479D-9427-30E4950F959D.thumb.jpeg.4b9782b29cf96abf1253287ba0b3b962.jpeg

AF047366-DA9A-472F-86F3-787873177D0E.thumb.jpeg.1c8da7abc6a0d9160d7b354c3e54cb93.jpeg

BEF8B225-9DFB-4B2A-BB06-55BF68ABADAD.thumb.jpeg.a3f53ef4150f1752e2d27c8786cee4d8.jpeg

A123371F-7051-4866-91D1-C7997AA5EB0F.thumb.jpeg.54e8ddc08b5722702fb19a46a0b94807.jpeg

1F1E78D8-4034-461D-8601-1897EED2D32F.thumb.jpeg.4f05ebfeb800ae93d2ce9f15a2d9a357.jpeg

• Like 2

If any of you just want a relaxing day at the beach, you can take a local bus (for $5 roundtrip) to Eagle Beach.  There are several videos on YouTube about where to get the bus, etc.  Or, if you want to explore on your own, a one-day pass is $10.  Get on/get off multiple times to see different parts of the island.  I thinkthe run about every ten minutes or.

There is a stark difference between the two sides of Aruba.  The cruiseport, resort areas and beaches are gorgeous with gentle breezes.  While the “other side” of Aruba is very beautiful in a rugged sort of way, it is NOT a place to swim !  The ocean is extremely rough and dangerous….. powerful waves and undercurrents !!  Take in the beauty from the coves, just not in the water!    Save your swims for BabyBeach, Eagle Beach, or the likes, to enjoy swimming. Always pack a full water bottle, a hat and sunblock!

we rented a jeep to explore.  The beaches to the west and desert to the east.  google jeep rental near the port, for 4 people its a bargain compared to anything royal offers in excursions.  Mind you gas prices are like 6 to 7 a gallon, it's still worth it.  The driving is on the same side as the US and it's failry well marked.  We stayed in Aruba for a week and never got lost.  Best way to have control over your day here... motto is one happy island.. and it's true. 

17 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Our first trip to Aruba years ago we did a royal excursion that was a bus tour with a visit to the natural Bridge, seeing that side of the island is quite different than where we dock.   Our tour also included a trip up to the CA lighthouse.   Beautiful area.  Then we had 1 hr break at Eagle beach.

The tour guide was very informative.   

For first timers I would recommend a tour like this to see various places.   

We have since been to Aruba several times by cruise and land vacations.  One of our favorite islands.

This

I'm generally not a fan of coach tours but this one is decent because it gives you a chance to get a look at all the highlights and go to one of the best beaches in Aruba at the end of the excursion

I don't personally find the "interior" of Aruba all that special but the coastline and beaches are great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NightOne said:

This

I'm generally not a fan of coach tours but this one is decent because it gives you a chance to get a look at all the highlights and go to one of the best beaches in Aruba at the end of the excursion

I don't personally find the "interior" of Aruba all that special but the coastline and beaches are great.

This particular coach tour does have a couple of stops where you can get off wander around, take photos, souvenir shop, etc.    Then head to the beach.    Once you arrive At the beach you have the option to stay at the beach for approx. 1 hr then take the bus back to the ship or if your sailing is departing Aruba in the evening you have the option to stay on the beach and take a taxi or public bus back to the cruise port (cheap and easy to do either option).   

• Like 1