Back to Back Cruise on Same Ship - A Good Idea?

GSPG

I was listening to a live q&a with two well known vloggers or bloggers yesterday.

There was a comment from their two friends in the background about staying on the same ship for another cruise, back to back. Obviously depends on availability and the port, but the suggestion was to get off the ship and use another line.

Is there a problem staying on the same ship for a back to back cruise?

I am actually looking at doing one in the Med. I could of course might be in the mind that I can’t wait to get off the ship after 7 days, but then again I can see the bit in between when most have disembarked and you have the ship to yourselves while the new batch of guests wait to embark.
The ‘second’ week has different ports.

Thanks and interested to hear any views.

5 minutes ago, GSPG said:

I was listening to a live q&a with two well known vloggers or bloggers yesterday.

There was a comment from their two friends in the background about staying on the same ship for another cruise, back to back. Obviously depends on availability and the port, but the suggestion was to get off the ship and use another line.

I am actually looking at doing one in the Med. I could of course might be in the mind that I can’t wait to get off the ship after 7 days, but then again I can see the bit in between when most have disembarked and you have the ship to yourselves while the new batch of guests wait to embark.

We have done this lots of times, even the same seven (ports) night cruise twice. Personal choice really.

1 hour ago, GSPG said:

but then again I can see the bit in between when most have disembarked and you have the ship to yourselves while the new batch of guests wait to embark.

Yes, but probably only for three hours or so.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have done this lots of times, even the same seven (ports) night cruise twice. Personal choice really.

The cruise is a flight then can be taken as a whole fortnight, or both weeks in isolation.

I just wondered what a ‘problem’ might be doing the two weeks. Obviously if you dislike the ship and you can’t wait to get off will be a bummer! 

Edited by GSPG

1 hour ago, GSPG said:

If you are looking at a med 7 night cruise, I presume you are looking at an Azura fly cruise.  If so, cruises of differentiation lengths are available with some.overlapping, so almost half of the passengers disembark on each change around day since some will do more than two weeks.  All port days are quiet onboard though, since most passengers go ashore.  P&O give a 10% discount on both cruises if you book a back to back though I am not sure if that currently Includes two 7 night fly cruises.  However, the two week itineraries, which are effectively back to back, (B2B), work out cheaper than two one week cruises as they only include one lot of flights. 

We did a 16 night cruise on Azura last autumn and added another seven night cruise, which gave us a 10% discount on both cruises.  We had to change cabin though as the original cabin was not available for the extra one week cruise, but that is not a problem as hanging items are transported on a trolly with a hanging rail brought by a member of the crew and we just put stuff from shelves into cases.  All moved and re-settled before 11 am as the cabin staff prepare the new cabins for B2B passengers first, so you just arrange for the trolley helper and pick up your new cabin key from reception.  They will not leave you long in your first cabin as that will need to be prepared for the new occupants.

The great thing about B2B fly cruises is sitting with people waiting for their flight transfer and they ask you what time you leave the ship.  Replying  next week, or some other later date is very satisfying 🙂

Edited by tring
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, tring said:

If you are looking at a med 7 night cruise, I presume you are looking at an Azura fly cruise.  If so, cruises of differentiation lengths are available with some.overlapping, so almost half of the passengers disembark on each change around day since some will do more than two weeks.  All port days are quiet onboard though, since most passengers go ashore.  P&O give a 10% discount on both cruises if you book a back to back though I am not sure if that currently Includes two 7 night fly cruises.  However, the two week itineraries, which are effectively back to back, (B2B), work out cheaper than two one week cruises as they only include one lot of flights. 

We did a 16 night cruise on Azura last autumn and added another seven night cruise, which gave us a 10% discount on both cruises.  We had to change cabin though as the original cabin was not available for the extra one week cruise, but that is not a problem as hanging items are transported on a trolly with a hanging rail brought by a member of the crew and we just put stuff from shelves into cases.  All moved and re-settled before 11 am as the cabin staff prepare the new cabins for B2B passengers first, so you just arrange for the trolley helper and pick up your new cabin key from reception.  They will not leave you long in your first cabin as that will need to be prepared for the new occupants.

The great thing about B2B fly cruises is sitting with people waiting for their flight transfer and they ask you what time you leave the ship.  Replying  next week, or some other later date is very satisfying 🙂

Yes it is tring, one week around Italy mainly then the second week around the Adriatic with our main port at Valetta, Malta.

Seems good ‘on paper’, but wonder what it feels like returning to Malta, then departing it again for the second time.

There are some cruises where you just don’t want to get off and wish you could stay on. In this case you can stay on. Okay if you are up for it and have no issues, a problem however if you have had enough but are locked in for another seven long days.

We have done many B2B cruises and side to sides with other cruiselines , sometimes on the B2B the itinerary was the same , much prefer having the same cabin on a B2B but it isn't a problem changing rooms. You will have to remember the menus are repeated and so is the entertainment.  

We did the Azura out of Tenerife for New year for 14 nights , I didn't realise when we booked that it was possible to do 7 or 14 nights and there were 2 overnighters in Tenerife ! Will never do that itinerary again . 

9 hours ago, GSPG said:

Yes it is tring, one week around Italy mainly then the second week around the Adriatic with our main port at Valetta, Malta.

Seems good ‘on paper’, but wonder what it feels like returning to Malta, then departing it again for the second time.

There are some cruises where you just don’t want to get off and wish you could stay on. In this case you can stay on. Okay if you are up for it and have no issues, a problem however if you have had enough but are locked in for another seven long days.

Valletta is a brilliant port with lots to do, both in the city and easily accessible places as well, e.g. by cheap bus or ferry and the late departure on turnaround day makes going a bit further a whole lot easier again.  We took the ferry over to the three cities a couple of times when there last time and thought it was great as so quiet - a lovely unspoilt old town area with good museums/bars/restaurants.   I suggest you go to the "Ports of Call" section of these boards and check the website, "What's in Port" as a good start to your research, but should find other websites regards things to do in Malta.  Only you can make your mind up though, but research before you dismiss the idea which you originally thought was a good one.  The views of Valetta, even when docked, are wonderful.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, tring said:

Valletta is a brilliant port with lots to do, both in the city and easily accessible places as well, e.g. by cheap bus or ferry and the late departure on turnaround day makes going a bit further a whole lot easier again.  We took the ferry over to the three cities a couple of times when there last time and thought it was great as so quiet - a lovely unspoilt old town area with good museums/bars/restaurants.   I suggest you go to the "Ports of Call" section of these boards and check the website, "What's in Port" as a good start to your research, but should find other websites regards things to do in Malta.  Only you can make your mind up though, but research before you dismiss the idea which you originally thought was a good one.  The views of Valetta, even when docked, are wonderful.

Thanks tring. I did think of that briefly about exploring Valetta itself. We have been to Ajaccio on another cruise and may stay on and enjoy the ship there.

I have never done a fly cruise. Are these set up and organised pretty well by the company. Do they allow enough time for the aircraft to land and get people to the ship? Are people very well looked after to get to the ship?

Thanks

Edited by GSPG

We flew out to Malta last April, after collecting our luggage and walking out to the coach our luggage was put into a van to be taken to the ship and seen again outside our cabin. Transfer between the airport and ship is by coach and on arriving at the port we were checked in before walking over to board the ship. Once on board it is the same procedure as embarking at Southampton.

If you on fly one of P&O's arranged flights the ship will wait for you if it is delayed. 

We arrived about mid-day, had some lunch then went ashore for a wander to stretch our legs as we had been travelling for twelve hours. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GSPG said:

Thanks tring. I did think of that briefly about exploring Valetta itself. We have been to Ajaccio on another cruise and may stay on and enjoy the ship there.

I have never done a fly cruise. Are these set up and organised pretty well by the company. Do they allow enough time for the aircraft to land and get people to the ship? Are people very well looked after to get to the ship?

Thanks

The only disadvantage imo is that a lot of flights leave the UK at 6am which is not our style.  They were using other flights to Malta last year though, but if allocated an early charter flights they will not transfer you to a later in the day schedule flight on request.  That is largely why we booked another one week cruise before our 16 night cruise, but it cost almost the same price as we got a good launch price for the 16 nighter.  Of course flights cannot be allocated before you book a cruise at launch because flights have not been arranged, you then seem to get the very early flights and you cannot do anything about it.