Is this a good price for a signature suite upsell?

dasanigirl

Please advise. 

We are going on a 17-day Panama Canal cruise in April.  The upsell offer for moving from a verandah to a SS is 1449 pp.  Is that a good price?  We are 20 days out and there are 7 SS available at this time. Should we roll the dice and maybe get a better deal closer.  Or is this already a great price for an upsell.  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

How much more than what you paid is it if you booked a suite now? That will give you an idea if it’s a good deal. It doesn’t sound great to me but it is a long cruise so maybe it’s ok

4 minutes ago, Hllb said:

How much more than what you paid is it if you booked a suite now? That will give you an idea if it’s a good deal. It doesn’t sound great to me but it is a long cruise so maybe it’s ok

It would be around 2000pp more if I were to book it now.  I got a upsell on a previous cruise for $599 from a veranda to a Neptune for a 7 day, so I multiplied that price by2.5 which is $1497 and that's for a Neptune so I would expect a signature to be less than that, if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, dasanigirl said:

Please advise. 

We are going on a 17-day Panama Canal cruise in April.  The upsell offer for moving from a verandah to a SS is 1449 pp.  Is that a good price?  We are 20 days out and there are 7 SS available at this time. Should we roll the dice and maybe get a better deal closer.  Or is this already a great price for an upsell.  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

I am boarding Oosterdam for a 17 night cruise from Santiago, Chile to Ft. Lauderdale.  A couple of weeks ago I was offered an upsell from our veranda cabin to a Signature Suite for $799 per person.  I passed.

Then last week I received another offer for a Signature Suite for $499 per person.  I took that offer.  

I hope you are able to get the deal that you want, but IMHO, $1499 per person is pretty expensive.

• Like 2

We don't usually do upgrades unless it's at least 50% less (I price all cabins initially to track cost) and even then there are other questions. What ship, do you get to choose the cabin, do you really need the extra space, how much time do you spend in the cabin, what Mariner level, are you comfortable with the cabin you booked, etc. While SS has 2 sinks, usually sep shower and tub and larger balcony, are they worth the money for you or would you be better off spending it elsewhere onboard or on tour (or towards another cruise). "Worth it" is very subjective. We used to think Neptune suites were worth it but things have changed on Holland so for us it's no longer but for others it may be. Same with SS. I would pass. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Taters said:

I am boarding Oosterdam for a 17 night cruise from Santiago, Chile to Ft. Lauderdale.  A couple of weeks ago I was offered an upsell from our veranda cabin to a Signature Suite for $799 per person.  I passed.

Then last week I received another offer for a Signature Suite for $499 per person.  I took that offer.  

I hope you are able to get the deal that you want, but IMHO, $1499 per person is pretty expensive.

Thank you, based on your experience I think we will pass on the upsell and stick with the veranda cabin unless they come way down on the price.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dasanigirl said:

Thank you, based on your experience I think we will pass on the upsell and stick with the veranda cabin unless they come way down on the price.

They may come back with a better offer! 😊

As people have recommended in the past, decide now what cost you are willing to pay for the upgrade and which cabins/locations you would take. Be ready to say yes when you get that call.  If it's a good deal, there are plenty of people ready to accept it if you wait too long to decide.

Good luck!

~Nancy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Taters said:

We are on @Taters cruise......

We got the exact same offers that @Taters got....declined the first and took the second......agree with Taters that for us, $1499 is too high.....

I will add that yesterday (4 days before sailing) we were offered a Neptune at an additional $499 pp and the offer was gone before the TA could grab it.  

Moral of the story:  If you are fine with the upsell price, you should grab it immediately as it may not come around again and it may not be available later.  If you are not fine with the upsell price, let it go. Either way, you get to sail on an awesome 'dam ship!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dasanigirl said:

It would be around 2000pp more if I were to book it now.  I got a upsell on a previous cruise for $599 from a veranda to a Neptune for a 7 day, so I multiplied that price by2.5 which is $1497 and that's for a Neptune so I would expect a signature to be less than that, if that makes sense.

Sorry, but, no, that really does not make sense.  Each cruise is different, and I assume that the cost of an upgrade is going to depend upon how close one is to embarkation and how many vacant cabins are then available.  The latter is known only by HAL.  I think that you made a wise decision to pass on that offer.  

8 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We are on @Taters cruise......

We got the exact same offers that @Taters got....declined the first and took the second......agree with Taters that for us, $1499 is too high.....

I will add that yesterday (4 days before sailing) we were offered a Neptune at an additional $499 pp and the offer was gone before the TA could grab it.  

Moral of the story:  If you are fine with the upsell price, you should grab it immediately as it may not come around again and it may not be available later.  If you are not fine with the upsell price, let it go. Either way, you get to sail on an awesome 'dam ship!

We received the same Neptune offer yesterday, too, @FlaMariner.  I didn't even want to consider it because 1) our Signature Suite is on the "view" side of the ship (starboard) and 2) we didn't want to chance ending up with that one lone aft Neptune.  I know that some people love the aft suites, but I prefer to not have to walk the entire length of the ship to get to the Crow's Nest.  We are very content with our Signature Suite. ☺️  See you onboard!

Cheers,

Annie

15 hours ago, Taters said:

We received the same Neptune offer yesterday, too, @FlaMariner.  I didn't even want to consider it because 1) our Signature Suite is on the "view" side of the ship (starboard) and 2) we didn't want to chance ending up with that one lone aft Neptune.  I know that some people love the aft suites, but I prefer to not have to walk the entire length of the ship to get to the Crow's Nest.  We are very content with our Signature Suite. ☺️  See you onboard!

Cheers,

Annie

FYI, when you call to ask about an upsell you can ask which cabins you would get.  That way you can avoid ones that you dislike.