Should I get a drinks package? Many drinks questions!

Hi all.

This will be my first time with Holland America. I am travelling for 7 days on the Koningsdam in July.

I would love to be able to consume 30-40 ounces of soft drink a day. I read that on the Koningsdam there is a Freestyle Cola machine, so though I ordinarily prefer cans or bottles at home I'm prepared to stick to that if it is the best option cost wise. Any info about this machine (location, if it works etc) would be appreciated.

I also drink around 100 ounces of water a day. I prefer still, filtered water. I've never had water from a can. I am unsure about the availability and quality of free water onboard, so any info on that would be appreciated.

How much does water and cool drink cost onboard? I'm sure it varies but there is absolutely no information I've been able to find on this and as I have no interest in any other beverage type I'm trying to figure out if I'm best off having a package or paying as I go.

Thanks all.

I agree with @lyndarra about the ship tap water.  That's what I always drink!  Free!  Tastes fine! 

Soft drinks by the can in 2023 are now $2.75. They have gone up in the last month.  This is the updated list from the blog from Professor Cruise: Holland America Releasing NEW Bar Menus for 2023: See them HERE! · Prof. Cruise (profcruise.com)

image.thumb.png.0c621d43b6f056faf664d24631975fef.png
Edited by oakridger

From HAL website FAQ (highlighting is mine):  Frequently Asked Questions | Holland America

"QUENCH PACKAGE   (NON-ALCOHOLIC)

Only $17.95 per guest/per day*

Quench your thirst with our nonalcoholic package which includes an unlimited variety of premium coffees such as espresso and cappuccino, juices, Coca-Cola™ products, our signature mocktails, Red Bull, and bottled waters 500ml and under.

COCA-COLA™ PACKAGE

Only $8.00 per guest/per day*

The Coca-Cola™ Package includes unlimited fountain sodas for $8.00 per person, per day. On the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam this package also includes the Coca-Cola™ Freestyle program with more than 100 unique Coca-Cola™ flavors available.

* Prices are per person per day. Please see your server or bartender for a full list of items included in each package.

An 18% Service Charge is automatically applied to all Beverage Purchases, Bar Retail Items, Specialty Restaurant Cover Charges and all For Purchase A La Carte Menu Items. Local Sales Taxes Applied where required.
All adults of legal drinking age for the respective itinerary that are booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package."

My wife drinks a lot more water than I do, and she asks the cabin attendant to bring a couple of large bottles of water to the room each day, then fills her thermos. It is tap water, of course, so she could get it from the tap, but this way the bottles can be cooled in the refrigerator. 

But we still had the drinks package on our last cruise in September. Just easier not to have to worry about the details, and other stuff is included in the HIA.

12 hours ago, lyndarra said:

On HAL ships (and others) I drink the water from the tap. It's the same water as served with meals in dining rooms.

Also the same water from which the ship makes ice. 

If you like ice in your drinks, then you might as well drink tap water. Or get glasses of water from the Lido or any bar you happen to be near. 

If you have a reusable container, then it may also be handy to save the (still cold) melted ice in your ice bucket. Just have it replenished twice a day and you always have some cold water available. 
Keep the ice bucket in the fridge, and it doesn't melt as fast! Best way to bring cold water on a tour. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oakridger said:

From HAL website FAQ (highlighting is mine):  Frequently Asked Questions | Holland America

"QUENCH PACKAGE   (NON-ALCOHOLIC)

Only $17.95 per guest/per day*

Quench your thirst with our nonalcoholic package which includes an unlimited variety of premium coffees such as espresso and cappuccino, juices, Coca-Cola™ products, our signature mocktails, Red Bull, and bottled waters 500ml and under.

COCA-COLA™ PACKAGE

Only $8.00 per guest/per day*

The Coca-Cola™ Package includes unlimited fountain sodas for $8.00 per person, per day. On the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam this package also includes the Coca-Cola™ Freestyle program with more than 100 unique Coca-Cola™ flavors available.

* Prices are per person per day. Please see your server or bartender for a full list of items included in each package.

An 18% Service Charge is automatically applied to all Beverage Purchases, Bar Retail Items, Specialty Restaurant Cover Charges and all For Purchase A La Carte Menu Items. Local Sales Taxes Applied where required.
All adults of legal drinking age for the respective itinerary that are booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package."

I appreciate this list and the previous per-drink list. So am I reading this right -- if 2 adults are sharing a cabin, BOTH have to purchase the Coca-Cola package since we are "adults or legal drinking age" even though no alcohol is involved?

Thx,

PHXscuba

Yes, that's how I read it too.  I think the point is that they don't want people to purchase one package and then share with their cabin mate.  If you only want sodas then the "Coca Cola" package looks like a good price!  $8 per day each!   If you want specialty coffee and non soda drinks, then "Quench Package" seems like a good choice.

~Nancy

3 hours ago, PHXscuba said:

I appreciate this list and the previous per-drink list. So am I reading this right -- if 2 adults are sharing a cabin, BOTH have to purchase the Coca-Cola package since we are "adults or legal drinking age" even though no alcohol is involved.

I agree that it SOUNDS like all adults in the room need to purchase these packages, but that hasn't been our experience.   Husband is addicted to Diet Coke, and has had the Coca-Cola package twice (including the Koningsdam, with the machines---- which weren't always working) and the Quench package twice (to give him the chance to get fancy coffee drinks).   So, we have purchased a package on line just for him on four separate cruises.  No, we don't share, because I'm not interested in soda or coffee drinks, and neither of us drink alcohol.  🙂

• 1 year later...

I keep trying to buy the beverage package for my husband (he is the only one who drinks alcohol and I don't like sodas) How were you able to get just the one beverage package added to your cruise? Thanks.

3 hours ago, kmochiko said:

I keep trying to buy the beverage package for my husband (he is the only one who drinks alcohol and I don't like sodas) How were you able to get just the one beverage package added to your cruise? Thanks.

It is my understanding that you cannot. All people in a cabin on a cruise must have at least the lowest drinks package themselves if someone in the cabin is having one (regardless of type).