Scenic Sanctuary Package- Princess Cruises- Alaska

FrankieJayIII

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with the Sanctuary packaged during a Glacier Bay cruise?   

I have a balcony; is it better to be in the Sanctuary or on your own personal balcony?   My understanding is there is a higher charge during the scenic day than for regular days in the Sanctuary. 

What are your experiences with the Sanctuary in general? 

Thoughts please

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

Trying to bring this question back to the top... 

I would say, based on other trip reports and my viewing of photos, that you are going to want to be in various areas around the ship that day and not confined to a single point of view from a balcony.  The Sanctuary will generally (most ships) have views forward with a 180 degree span - if you move about.  How much time will you end up using the lounger.  They usually provide extra food items as part of the upcharge.  If it was us, I wouldn't do it when we go to Alaska because I don't see the value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My suggestion is to avoid the Sanctuary for much of Glacier Bay.  I believe that the Sanctuary view will be through glass, which will distort the true colors of the glaciers.  Also, you wont be able to hear the creaking of the glacier or the splashes of the calving. 

Being on the balcony is good. IF you get cold, run back into the room for a few minutes.  You can turn the TV to the bridge cam page and hear the commentary provided by the park rangers. 

Enjoy the Cruise!

• Like 3

I would never pay for the sanitary in GB. I would not stay on my balcony either.

You will want to move around. I like Deck 7 - Promenade deck for views on Glacier days. It is covered, you can walk all around and side to side.

20 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

so many conflicting stories- i think we will start our morning on the balcony and see how things progress 

On deck - you have access to all views. On your balcony, you are very limited to the view from your balcony. 

The only people who would benefit from the sanctuary or staying in their cabin would be those who are not mobile.

There are Park Ranger talks in the morning and also Park Rangers on deck to answer questions.

The Sanctuary in Glacier Bay was my favorite day of cruising ever - but it was on the Coral where the Sanctuary is all the way aft and completely open. We had a perfect, clear day and were pampered all day long. The views were amazing. I would do it again in a heartbeat on this ship or any other with a similar Sanctuary location. 

I am going to quote my 11 year old granddaughter when we took her on an AK cruise /o her parents - 

"I can see stuff better than they can see from down there".  Maybe we should listen top 11 year old kids.  Her other comment on her cruise when we asked her whether she wanted to go to the kids club was "I want to see Alaska and not waste my time playing games and eating pizza".

DON 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2023 at 3:18 PM, FrankieJayIII said:

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with the Sanctuary packaged during a Glacier Bay cruise?   

I have a balcony; is it better to be in the Sanctuary or on your own personal balcony?   My understanding is there is a higher charge during the scenic day than for regular days in the Sanctuary. 

What are your experiences with the Sanctuary in general? 

Thoughts please

Only if you are on the Coral or the Island. The sanctuary all the way aft, has no glass windows that you have to look through and has 180 degree views as it takes up the entire aft area. These pictures were taken 4 days apart on the Island.  It was cloudy heading north and sunny on the return trip heading south.  

IMG_6525.jpeg

IMG_3713.jpeg

49 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Only if you are on the Coral or the Island. The sanctuary all the way aft, has no glass windows that you have to look through and has 180 degree views as it takes up the entire aft area. These pictures were taken 4 days apart on the Island.  It was cloudy heading north and sunny on the return trip heading south.  

I don't think those ships are in Alaska anymore.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I don't think those ships are in Alaska anymore.

Correct. Nothing on the books at the moment.  Hopefully in the future though!  Their sanctuaries are so unique compared to all the other princess ships. Just thought it might be useful information for anyone reading about sanctuary experiences.  

13 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Correct. Nothing on the books at the moment.  Hopefully in the future though!  Their sanctuaries are so unique compared to all the other princess ships. Just thought it might be useful information for anyone reading about sanctuary experiences.  

I think they are using the ships in places where the R ships were previously.

Better views from your balcony and other open decks.  Sanctuary would be very cold and windy.  Even being in Glacier Bay several years ago on the hottest day it was still too cold and windy.  A lot of glass and railing impedes the view.  Have been many times, never gets old.